Topics

New to NVDA, questions about Outlook and Excel with NVDA

Jane Carona <jane.e.carona@...>

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this list, and so grateful to have found it!  I was a very happy WindowEyes user and came to Jaws very unwillingly, and have never liked it.  Just started using NVDA today, and it seems a lot like WindowEyes, so I think I’ll be very happy!

But I have two questions:  How do I access attachments in Outlook.  Typically, when on a message with an attachment, I’d shift tab to the attachment and hit enter on it, but that doesn’t seem to work with NVDA.

My other pressing issue is reading titles with Excel.  I live in Excel, so this could be a deal-breaker.  With smaller spreadsheets, I’ve gotten the titles to read pretty well, but I have some spreadsheets that have 17,000 or more rows, and NVDA reads the first row of data sometimes as column titles.  Is there a limit on the size spreadsheet NVDA can comfortably handle?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jane Carona

Jane.e.carona@...

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Jane,

I haven't worked with exel using NVDA but asfar as opening attachments in outlook, you shift tab to the attachment and hit control right arrow. You'll hear the word "message". Hit the context key and arrow down to penattachment. Hit enter to open it.

Hope this helps.

Rosemarie

On 6/5/2020 3:21 AM, Jane Carona wrote:

[...]

Sky Mundell

Hello Jane. Welcome to this list. Like you, I was a loyal Window-Eyes user myself and I am using NVDA and it is a fantastic product for sure. Anyways, to answer your question about Outlook, if you shift tab to the attachments list, use your right arrow to select the attachments. I don’t have any experience with Excel with NVDA but NVDA has basic training modules you can purchase and I believe there is a training module in it for Excel.

On Jun 5, 2020, at 3:21 AM, Jane Carona <jane.e.carona@...> wrote:

[...]

Janet Brandly

Hello Jane and all,

I was also very happy with Window-Eyes. Fortunately, I skipped JAWS completely and came directly to NVDA. I have been happy with it so far. The email support is outstanding.

Regarding attachments in Outlook, recently I was having an issue where NVDA would announce that a message had an attachment but, when shift-tabbing from the message body, no attachment would appear. Apparently these messages did not in fact have attachments but the reason NVDA saying they did had something to do with how the message was written. When messages do have actual attachments, they will appear when you shift-tab from within the body of the message. You will hear the list of attachments and told to use alt plus down arrow to hear the list of options.

I have no meaningful experience with Excel so cannot help you there.

Hope this helps,

Janet

Richard Kuzma

Yes, jaws says that too sometimes when it is not true.

Go figure

[...]

Thanks, that worked fine!

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hi Jane,

You may also install an addon for Outlook which gives you lots of the Window-Eyes capabilities back for Outlook. Please see here:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/outlookExtended.en.html

cheers,

  Ralf

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 11:31 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:
The email support is outstanding.
Janet,

            To what are you making reference here?  I ask because NVAccess does not, to my knowledge and according to their own support pages, offer official e-mail support.  They point to online resources, of which this is one, but while we're closely associated with NVAccess we're not really "owned by" them.

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi Jane,

I am a keen user of Excel with NVDA. I use it almost every day. I would be happy to answer any queries you have.

I wonder exactly what problem you are finding with column headings?

I note that you start your columns one column in and one row down from the top. That is no problem. Place your cursor on cell b2 and press NVDA+shift+c. This will fix b2 as the start of the column headings. If there is a break in row 2, the column title will stop being spoken with the last column before the break. Simply move the cursor on row 2 to the right until you get to the first filled cell after the break and press control+shift+c again. This will set the whole row to be the next set of column headings until the next empty cell in row 2. Repeat this until all the column cells are enabled as column headings. Each column will be echoed even if you are moving on the 1048576th row of the table.

The trick is to watch the gaps.

Let me know if this solves your difficulty and let me know if I can answer any more questions for you! I write complex formulas and macros with no problem using NVDA. It is a great product!

All the best,

Cearbhall