Topics

Address for NVDA support

Jane Carona <jane.e.carona@...>

I just tried to send my huge spreadsheet to support@... in hopes that someone can see why my NVDA isn’t reading the titles, and that address isn’t valid.  Does anyone know how I can contact someone at NVAccess who might be able to fix this problem?

Jane Carona

Jane.e.carona@...

NVAccess does not do e-mail support.  See this page for online support options:  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Connect
and this one for paid telephone support:  https://www.nvaccess.org/product/nvda-telephone-support/

Is this spreadsheet set up with title columns (for the respective rows) and title rows (for the respective columns) either in Excel itself, which is my preferred method, or in NVDA?   This has been discussed many times on this group.  Searching the NVDA Group Archive

When I use the Groups.io search on [Excel title row column] virtually every message that comes back (many of which are mine, and many others which are not) come up immediately.

Jane Carona <jane.e.carona@...>

I don’t use row titles, just column titles in row 1.  I usually have column A blank, just because that’s how I did it in WindowEyes.  So my data starts in B2, and goes from b2 to p17288.  Not sure what else I can do at this point.  I’d sure hate to have to go back to jaws, but if I can’t read the column titles of my big spreadsheets, I may have to.

Is this spreadsheet set up with title columns (for the respective rows) and title rows (for the respective columns) either in Excel itself, which is my preferred method, or in NVDA?   This has been discussed many times on this group.  Searching the NVDA Group Archive

When I use the Groups.io search on [Excel title row column] virtually every message that comes back (many of which are mine, and many others which are not) come up immediately.

Jane,

           NVDA can and does read row and/or column titles.  Please take the time to do some research and playing around before throwing in the towel!

Louis Maher

Have you read the manual’s chapter on Excel?

Hit NVDA key + n, arrow down to help, open the menu and arrow down to the users’ guide, and hit h until you reach the section on Excel (SECTION 11.2).

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

E-mail ljmaher03@...

I don’t use row titles, just column titles in row 1.  I usually have column A blank, just because that’s how I did it in WindowEyes.  So my data starts in B2, and goes from b2 to p17288.  Not sure what else I can do at this point.  I’d sure hate to have to go back to jaws, but if I can’t read the column titles of my big spreadsheets, I may have to.

Is this spreadsheet set up with title columns (for the respective rows) and title rows (for the respective columns) either in Excel itself, which is my preferred method, or in NVDA?   This has been discussed many times on this group.  Searching the NVDA Group Archive

When I use the Groups.io search on [Excel title row column] virtually every message that comes back (many of which are mine, and many others which are not) come up immediately.

Jane Carona <jane.e.carona@...>

Yes, that was the first thing I did, read the section on Excel.  And I followed the steps just as they were outlined there.  It worked for the other spreadsheets.

But I have now come to a solution:  I have two very large spreadsheets, so big that I had to split the one big one into 2, so one has books a-l and the other has books m-z.  The m-z data base reads the titles just fine, but the a-l one, about half the titles don’t read correctly.  So now that I have this new fast powerful computer with Windows 10 on it, I put my spreadsheet back together, and put the data from the spreadsheet that didn’t read correctly onto the end of the one that did.  So now I have a spreadsheet that goes from a1 through p29207 and the columns read fine.  So no need to revert to Jaws!  But I really wish NVDA would let you put the column title before the cell contents, but I don’t see anyway to do that.  So that’s one major hurdle accomplished!  Thanks so much to everyone for your advice.

Jane Carona