Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2017 4:46 PM
Subject: [nvda] Navigating by sentence

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how to navigate by sentence in NVDA? The shortcuts for
that are listed as Alt+Up arrow, Alt+Down arrow for moving to the
previous and next sentences and Alt+Numpad 5 for speaking the current
sentence. However, none of these shortcuts seem to do anything for me.
Is there some configuration change needed to make it working? Do these
shortcuts work for anyone?

I'm using NVDA 2017.4 and the latest Windows 10.

Thanks

Tony

This is one command that I really missed when I switch to NVDA. he only program that I know of, and have tested, that uses this command is Microsoft word. It works in version 2003 and 2010. I can't remember which version of NVDA it began in but I've been using it for several years now. I have not come across another application that uses this command.

Melissa
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 9, 2017, at 6:21 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

The commands don't do anything here, using 17.1.  Also, input help doesn't say anything when these commands are tried.

Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2017 4:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how to navigate by sentence in NVDA? The shortcuts for
that are listed as Alt+Up arrow, Alt+Down arrow for moving to the
previous and next sentences and Alt+Numpad 5 for speaking the current
sentence. However, none of these shortcuts seem to do anything for me.
Is there some configuration change needed to make it working? Do these
shortcuts work for anyone?

I'm using NVDA 2017.4 and the latest Windows 10.

Thanks

Tony

Gene

I'll try it in my version of Word.  It's Word Starter, but it will probably work there.

Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2017 4:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how to navigate by sentence in NVDA? The shortcuts for
that are listed as Alt+Up arrow, Alt+Down arrow for moving to the
previous and next sentences and Alt+Numpad 5 for speaking the current
sentence. However, none of these shortcuts seem to do anything for me.
Is there some configuration change needed to make it working? Do these
shortcuts work for anyone?

I'm using NVDA 2017.4 and the latest Windows 10.

Thanks

Tony

Tony Malykh

These commands do indeed work in my Word 2016 and NVDA 2017.4. Do you think this is a good idea to create a new issue on github for NVDA developers to make these commands work in more applications? I wanted to navigate by sentences in browsers when I'm reading long articles.

Tony

Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2017 4:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how to navigate by sentence in NVDA? The shortcuts for
that are listed as Alt+Up arrow, Alt+Down arrow for moving to the
previous and next sentences and Alt+Numpad 5 for speaking the current
sentence. However, none of these shortcuts seem to do anything for me.
Is there some configuration change needed to make it working? Do these
shortcuts work for anyone?

I'm using NVDA 2017.4 and the latest Windows 10.

Thanks

Tony

Gene

I don't have an opinion other than that you can ask and people will be free to use or not to use the feature if it is incorporated.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2017 9:23 PM

Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2017 4:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how to navigate by sentence in NVDA? The shortcuts for
that are listed as Alt+Up arrow, Alt+Down arrow for moving to the
previous and next sentences and Alt+Numpad 5 for speaking the current
sentence. However, none of these shortcuts seem to do anything for me.
Is there some configuration change needed to make it working? Do these
shortcuts work for anyone?

I'm using NVDA 2017.4 and the latest Windows 10.

Thanks

Tony

As I said before I really missed this feature when I switched from JAWS. Luckily, it can be used when writing in word it is very, very helpful when you are editing what you have written. I miss being able to do that in a browser so that I could read the sentence by sentence and have just gotten used to reading line by line even if the sentence is broken up. I know that I would personally use it. I had never thought about raising an issue about it, because I hate how you have to submit an issue and that side always just confuse me so I never bothered to try and figure it out. The answer is always know unless you ask. I just got used to the answer being no since I never felt like going through the trouble of asking the question.

Melissa
Sent from my iPhone