speaking commands

Grant Metcalf

I am hoping that sometime soon the NVDA developers will have NVDA speak commands such as “control-save”. I am always in doubt if I have been able to save the file I am working on. Mostly I use the text editor Notepad and very occasionally Wordpad for “RTF” files. Granpa DOS would appreciate all efforts the developers would exert toward making the very basic commands speak!
Cordially yours.

Listening for HIS shout!
Grant Metcalf

Aschalew Byness

you can use 'nvda extention global add-on'. it has wonderful features
including speaking of commands. it is a private add-on though.

On 6/23/20, Grant Metcalf <the.gems@att.net> wrote:
I am hoping that sometime soon the NVDA developers will have NVDA speak
commands such as “control-save”. I am always in doubt if I have been able to
save the file I am working on. Mostly I use the text editor Notepad and very
occasionally Wordpad for “RTF” files. Granpa DOS would appreciate all
efforts the developers would exert toward making the very basic commands
speak!
Cordially yours.

Listening for HIS shout!
Grant Metcalf

Quentin Christensen

If you press NVDA+4, or toggle "Speak command keys" in NVDA's keyboard settings, it will speak keys such as ENTER or CONTROL+S.

NVDA doesn't automatically know that CONTROL+S is save, so it generally won't automatically announce that, however if the keystroke brings up something like a save dialog, then that would be announced (for instance the first time you press control+s in a new document in Word).

Not directly related to control+s, but there is a "clipspeak" add-on which will report the functions of some keys such as control+c (Copy) and control+v (paste) where they perform those functions: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Chris Mullins

                Hi Grant

There is already a setting in NVDA which enables the speaking of commands, it is NVDA+4 on the number row.  If you use Notepad with Windows 10, there is a handy little feature which indicates if you have made any unsaved changes to the file you are working with.  If you press NVDA+t to speak the window title, you may hear the word “star” spoken before the title text is read.  This is because Notepad puts an asterisk on the title bar if the related file contains unsaved changes.  This asterisk is not present if the file does not contain unsaved changes.

Cheers

Chris

On 6/23/20, Grant Metcalf <the.gems@...> wrote:

> I am hoping that sometime soon the NVDA developers will have NVDA speak

> commands such as “control-save”. I am always in doubt if I have been able to

> save the file I am working on. Mostly I use the text editor Notepad and very

> occasionally Wordpad for “RTF” files. Granpa DOS would appreciate all

> efforts the developers would exert toward making the very basic commands

> speak!

> Cordially yours.

> Listening for HIS shout!

> Grant Metcalf

Rui Fontes

Quentin, have you already tried to work with NVDA in those conditions?

NVDA needs, urgently, a way to filter some keypresses from being announced...

See issues #5484, #5608 and many more...

Rui Fontes

Às 04:34 de 23/06/2020, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

[...]

Rui,

There has been discussion on this: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6553

Much of the issue is that everyone has different ideas on the best way forward for this.  If anyone has new ideas, then do, please comment on that issue.

Quentin.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:12 PM Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello!

Have you seen the implementation made by paulber in his add-on NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin?

I have already gave suggestions in this issue.

Reading the issue, most people agree that arrow keys should be treated differently from other command keys...

And one of my suggestions have benn backed up by two or three other participants in the issue...

Regards,

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 00:17 de 24/06/2020, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

[...]

David Griffith

I agree absolutely – it never made any sense at all to me that people who needed assistance with locating control keys would inevitably also have similar problems locating and using the routine cursor keys.

It seemed a bizarre design assumption from the  first to compel noisy feedback from every push of a cursor key if you wanted to  avail yourself of reassurance with the use of a control key like alt or control etc.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

And, it is not so difficult to implement my suggestion:

1 - Typable keys, including letters, numbers, accents, like accut, grabv, tilde, circunflex, diaresis and so on, and enter;

2 - Arrow keys;

3 - Command keys, all other keys.

After that, close all tickets about this.

If after that, someone reopens or create new tickets, the solution can be evaluated again...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

[...]

Jonathan COHN

That was a nice feature of WindowEyes, one could create side effects for keys bound to a function, so that either prior to or after the primary function ran, other events could occur including speaking or routing focus to the best place. This was a menu driven type system, that required no programming skills to implement.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 10:19 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

[...]

Gene

JAWS has the same sort of abilities working in What it calls frames. If you issue a defined command in a frame, you can designate that all sorts of actions follow and the order in which they occur.

I have never seen an explanation of why NVDA doesn't have such a system. There may be technical reasons but NVDA will never meet many users' needs as well as JAWS unless it has the ability for user definable functions of this sort.

There are many times when more advanced users or those working with users need to define such behaviors and can't. While NVDA meets a lot of users' needs now, this is a serious deficiency.

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

I'd reiterate again that the best place for these suggestions is the GitHub issue: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6553 - conversation here is important for fleshing out these ideas, but issues like the one I linked to, are what changes to the code will be based on, so please do reiterate the ideas agreed upon here in that issue so they don't get lost.

Quentin.