Topics

Why has this not been fixed

I can confirm that it is down to the synth. Both Vocalizer and Espeak pronounced 'cup' correctly, whereas Windows OneCore and Microsoft Speach API version 5 pronounced 'cup' as 'Cuban Peso'.

brice Mijares

Thanks for the info, I'll have to do that.

On 7/1/2020 12:52 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I wrote about the Cuban pesos thing several years ago.  I just edited the default dictionary with "cup" (no quotes) with "Cup" (also no quotes) and that fixes that.

I'd imagine substituting "mp3" with "M P 3" making sure the match is case insensitive would do the trick for that one.

*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth./*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/ <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September 23, 2019

I wrote about the Cuban pesos thing several years ago.  I just edited the default dictionary with "cup" (no quotes) with "Cup" (also no quotes) and that fixes that.

I'd imagine substituting "mp3" with "M P 3" making sure the match is case insensitive would do the trick for that one.

tim

Do you have multiple languages on your computer? Also have you looked into the dictionary may be corrupt? Because its miss pronouseing what is typed.
A synthesizer only reflex punctuation and some conjunctions. The rest is handled by the screen reader and dictionary.

Tim M
z2004a1@...

On Jul 1, 2020, at 1:57 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

It's how your specific synthesizer says those things. Mine doesn't.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: brice Mijares
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 12:35 PM
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] Why has this not been fixed

Why does NVDA still say Cuban Peso for cup when cup is mentioned in a
sentence? Like in the following,

Mr. Coffee 12-cup programmable coffee maker in black/chrome.

Also Mariana islands is echoed for MP3 sometimes. Perplexing for me!

Gene

It's how your specific synthesizer says those things. Mine doesn't.

Why does NVDA still say Cuban Peso for cup when cup is mentioned in a
sentence? Like in the following,

Mr. Coffee 12-cup programmable coffee maker in black/chrome.

Also Mariana islands is echoed for MP3 sometimes. Perplexing for me!

Jackie

Bryce, that is more a function of the synthesizer you're using as
opposed to NVDA itself. Mine says 12 cup. On the other hand, mine
trips on other things that are equally annoying.