Topics

I can't get NVDA's synthesizer to read Mexican currency as

Gerardo Corripio

Using NVDA's Vocalizer, where or how would I make NVDA to read this Mxn$3800 as 3800 Mexican pesos? I ask this because when typing in for instance USD$230 it reads exactly right as I'd like for the Mexican currency to read. I tried putting into the pronounciation dictionary but it didn't work. any ideas?

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Quentin Christensen

Hi Gera,

I'll grab the low hanging fruit off this one, which is that the synthesizer will add its own pronunciation to things, as it appears to be doing for USD$230.  You can add your own entry into the speech dictionary (it's speech dictionary you want rather than punctuation/symbol pronunciation).  You will likely be best using Regex to format it so you can look for the string "mxn$" followed by a number, and I must confess, my Regex is a bit rusty so I'll leave the exact syntax for someone else to hopefully help with!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 3:22 AM, Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@...> wrote:
Using NVDA's Vocalizer, where or how would I make NVDA to read this Mxn$3800 as 3800 Mexican pesos? I ask this because when typing in for instance USD$230 it reads exactly right as I'd like for the Mexican currency to read. I tried putting into the pronounciation dictionary but it didn't work. any ideas?

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hmm we had the inverse of this in another synth not long ago I believe i4e things that were not Mexican were being read as such.
I hate this sort of abbreviation extension, the probability that it will malfunction somewhere is very good!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Using NVDA's Vocalizer, where or how would I make NVDA to read this Mxn$3800 as 3800 Mexican pesos? I ask this because when typing in for instance USD$230 it reads exactly right as I'd like for the Mexican currency to read. I tried putting into the pronounciation dictionary but it didn't work. any ideas?

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Quentin Christensen

To be honest, the potential for incorrect context is one reason NVDA itself doesn't try to process the intended meaning of text, but leave it to the synthesizer if it wants.  Eg when should "dr" be Doctor, and when should it be "drive"?  Is "st" Saint, or Street?  And when should "1234" be "One, two, three, four" and when should it be "One thousand, two hundred and thirty-four"?

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
Hmm we had the inverse of this in another synth not long ago I believe i4e things that were not Mexican were being read as  such.
I hate this sort of abbreviation extension, the  probability that it will malfunction somewhere is very good!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerardo Corripio" <gera1027@...>
Using NVDA's Vocalizer, where or how would I make NVDA to read this Mxn$3800 as 3800 Mexican pesos? I ask this because when typing in for instance USD$230 it reads exactly right as I'd like for the Mexican currency to read. I tried putting into the pronounciation dictionary but it didn't work. any ideas?

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I have no objection to NVDA not interpreting abbreviations but how numbers are read should be able to be set, as numbers, as digits, or as pairs, as you illustrated.  I thought these choices were going to be added.

The number options were added to Next, but there was a problem with the code and the option had to be removed.  I found the ticket but no recent update on it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/4273