In-Process 13th December 2017

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Well it's that time of year, the last In-Process blog for the year!  Here it is:

Thanks for being so supportive and enthusiastic of the blog this year.  It's been fun and I look forward to bringing it to you again regularly in 2018!

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

I'd like to thank you and everyone at NV Access for everything you've done to make NVDA the great screen reader that it is today. I've really enjoyed reading the blogs for this year and look forward to reading them again in 2018.

Rosemarie

Well it's that time of year, the last In-Process blog for the year!  Here it is:

Thanks for being so supportive and enthusiastic of the blog this year.  It's been fun and I look forward to bringing it to you again regularly in 2018!

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Sky Mundell

Hello.  This is Sky. I would like to thank NV Access for the great screen reader they’ve come out with.  I had no idea that 11 years ago that NVDA would even be as good as it is now. 11 years ago , when I looked at NVDA, it was quite primitive compared to today. It didn’t support SAPI 4 until 2007, only SAPI 5. When you went into a dialog box, NVDA would read the entire dialog from top to bottom. For example, if you went into the run dialog, it would say, run dialog type the name of a folder, document, or internet resource, and windows will open it for you. OK button cancel button browse button. This was 11 years ago, 2006. Also, in 2006, You couldn’t install NVDA on a computer, you could only run it via USB, or if you had the folder on one of your drives, you had to launch that folder, and then run NVDA. Here’s to a great future with this product!

Well it's that time of year, the last In-Process blog for the year!  Here it is:

Thanks for being so supportive and enthusiastic of the blog this year.  It's been fun and I look forward to bringing it to you again regularly in 2018!

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Robert Mendoza

Hi, Quentin

Thanks for the update. But, one thing I noticed from the blogsite it was mentioned that eSpeak ng is update to 1.49.2. My question is that this also been for the master snapshot as well or this is specifically for the stable version 2017.4?

Robert Mendoza

Hi everyone,

Well it's that time of year, the last In-Process blog for the year!  Here it is:

Thanks for being so supportive and enthusiastic of the blog this year.  It's been fun and I look forward to bringing it to you again regularly in 2018!

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Adriani Botez

Dear all, dear Quentin,

First, huge thanks for your great work and for maintaining and improving this project continuously.

At the same time, I really hope that nv access is aware of the growing social responsibility of this project for more and more blind and visually impaired people worldwide. The more users, the more feedback and the more likely that expectations to NVDA will increase. Not only with respect to fast improvement, but also regarding professionality and usability. I hope NV Access is aware of the huge development impact of this project and finally, I hope NV Access will not colaps under this pressure. I am sure there is a future plan for this aspect.

With respect to financing, dfis like DEG, Proparco, FMO, american developing bank, african developing bank etc. are most probably willing to sponsor and donate for this project. In case of DEG, I am 100% sure it would provide sponsoring.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 13.12.2017 um 03:57 schrieb Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>:

Hi everyone,

Well it's that time of year, the last In-Process blog for the year!  Here it is:

Thanks for being so supportive and enthusiastic of the blog this year.  It's been fun and I look forward to bringing it to you again regularly in 2018!

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gerardo Corripio

Indeed! Thanks for all you guys do at NVAccess! You're definitely changing lives thorughout Mexico and Latin America, in having a viable alternative than the regularly-used Jaws, especially because of Jaws being so expensive, thus with NVDA you're reopening doors for so many blind people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to use computers. Also over at Ciberaprendiendo (the Blindness tech podcast over at www.eiberoamerica.com) I'm doing my promoting of NVDA via podcasts episodes dedicated to it, hoping that even more resistant users of the Shark, might take the plunge and switch. And lastly, my promoting NVDA has brought me to create a Whatsapp Spanish group "NVDA Access para Todos" in which we're already about 40 or 50 participants throughout Latin America, in which we discuss NVDA experiences, answer questions etc. So it's all of us's job to in our countries and/or areas, continue spreading by example, all that NVDA has to offer in our path towards integration with the sighted computer users. Graet work! and may 2018 bring inspiration for you guys in implementing features, and for us in suggestions, and mainly to continue spreading the benefits of NVDA.

El 12/12/2017 a las 09:09 p.m., Rosemarie Chavarria escribió:

Hi, Quentin,

I'd like to thank you and everyone at NV Access for everything you've done to make NVDA the great screen reader that it is today. I've really enjoyed reading the blogs for this year and look forward to reading them again in 2018.

Rosemarie

Well it's that time of year, the last In-Process blog for the year!  Here it is:

Thanks for being so supportive and enthusiastic of the blog this year.  It's been fun and I look forward to bringing it to you again regularly in 2018!

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Iván Novegil

I hope that in a few years time we have a Spanish-speaking country in the top of countries with users of NVDA. You've created the WhatsApp group, we're editing articles in Spanish about NVDA creating a big central information point and other people is contributing to the NVDA's expansion. Finally, some important persons of the international NVDA community speak Spanish as their main language. And it's really great and is helping us to grow up.

Regards.

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Editor
ivan.novegil@...

- www.NVDA.es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Note que a anterior mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos pode conter información privada ou confidencial. O emprego da información desta mensaxe e/ou dos seus adxuntos está reservado ao ámbito privado do destinatario agás autorización do remitente. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro comuníqueo por esta mesma vía e destrúa a mensaxe.***
O 13/12/2017 á(s) 11:37, Gerardo Corripio escribiu:

[...]

The bast expansion of nvda would be certainly been reached from each other side or should I say boundless with no barriers.  If we work as one together there is no one left behind of using computers. I am grateful to be part of the process of development of this tool in screen reading. Looking forward to the upcoming future release of nvda. Again, congrats to all.

Robert Mendoza
On 12/13/2017 6:59 PM, iván Novegil wrote:

[...]

Hi Robert,

The short answer is yes, Master since I think September has also used the newer build of eSpeak NG.  Looking at the what's new, it reads:

"Espeak-ng has been updated to 1.49.2, resolving some issues with producing release builds. (#7385#7583)"

Those two numbers at the end indicate the pull requests to make that update, which are dated September 11 and November 1.

In one of the comments, Reef also noted: "Locking the comments on this PR, since this is expected to be a long running PR. The goal is to regularly integrate the newest espeak-ng changes into the next branch. When espeak-ng reaches the next release, merge to master. This allows espeak-ng to be tested more regularly by users of next.

If you encounter a problem with espeak-ng or this PR, please raise a separate issue."

The number of comments we've had since releasing 2017.4 and the last couple of RC builds indicates that Reef was right and we do ideally need more people checking snapshot builds for these issues earlier.

If you are seeing different behaviour from eSpeak from 2017.4 to the Master builds, do let me know though.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:

[...]

Dear Gerardo,

Thank you very much for your support and amazing advocacy!  All the best for Christmas and the new year!

Quentin.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@...> wrote:

[...]

Not sure if I missed out or something mixed up here but, I downloded the master snapshot into this link.
https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/
If I look into the log file still the eSpeak ng version is
Using eSpeak NG version 1.49.1 dev
I am currently testing the said version below:
NVDA version master-14715,94bc05be
I appreciate if you could further shed some information for this matter, or perhaps to clarify this in your diligent respond in later message. Thanks

Robert Mendoza

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Quentin.

Just a quick curiosity question about downloads of NVDa and or releases.

Is either the next or master snapshots counted in the number of downloads?

The reason i ask this is i have a stable version of nvda on the computer but test snapshots mostly master and i know from the master the stable will come when you do a release.

You noted numbers of downloads in the blog and wondered.

the reason I ask this if they are are they counted on a separate server or section?

The number of downloads for each stable release I know they are counted weather it be from the site or from the check for updatefeature.

but does that include master? or next or not?

Gene nz

[...]

Out of curiosity and to compare the version of the eSpeak ng I install new fresh stable nvda 2017.4 without any addons to my machine.

After viewing the log file here is the details I've got.

Using eSpeak NG version 1.49.1 dev
INFO - speechDictHandler.dictFormatUpgrade._doSynthVoiceDictBackupAndMove (10:20:34.279):
Upgrading voice dictionaries for espeak
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (10:20:34.436):
Loaded synthDriver espeak

Not sure if this is the same you've mentioned that eSpeak ng is updated to 1.49.2?

Or, perhaps to correct me about my analysis. Thanks.

Robert Mendoza
On 12/14/2017 8:28 AM, Robert Mendoza wrote:

Hi, Quentin

qNot sure if I missed out or something mixed up here but, I downloded the master snapshot into this link.
[...]

I just checked that myself and you are right, it does say 1.49.1 dev. I'll find out for you what's going on there.

Quentin.

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Gene,

I think they are counted separately.  From memory, I think Mick mentioned there were about 300 people on snapshot builds a little while ago.

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Image NVDA
        certified expert

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think there has been a number of issues with Espeak recently I tried to advocate to go back several versions but nobody seemed to be interested. This was why I invented the work around of using the Espeak in speech player for Espeak.
I just got so annoyed by its running of words together saying further instead of for the and lots of other things.

It irritated me, but may not others, yes there are some issues in the speech player version introduced to attempt to make Edward sound better, but when you switch to a normal espeak voice those slight errors, to me at least are very minor compared to the current dev version used in releases.
I might also add that it does also seem to cope better with other languages that crashed the system before as well.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

<https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7385>, #7583
<https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7583>)"

https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-13th-december-2017/

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It would be interesting to know if more are on master than next.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

[image: Image NVDA certified expert]
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you
are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy
of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which
locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.
aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's
Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit
the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification
page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around
the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Scott VanDeWalle

I’d like to add my 2 cents here to nvda.

I’m in the u.s and on a limited income, so I could never afford jaws or window eyes.  I appreciate this screen reader nvda and I do donate whenever I can do so.

Have a Merry Christmas

Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Well it's that time of year, the last In-Process blog for the year!  Here it is:

Thanks for being so supportive and enthusiastic of the blog this year.  It's been fun and I look forward to bringing it to you again regularly in 2018!

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Quentin Christensen

Scott (and everyone),

Thank you so much for your support, we really appreciate it!  I also wanted to add, I know we ask for donations when you download or update NVDA, but please don't feel obliged if it is a struggle.  Of course, we really appreciate contributions from those who can afford it, but our mission has always been to ensure that there is a free, high-quality screen reader available to all, especially at this time of year when money is often tight even for those on an income!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 7:42 AM, Scott VanDeWalle <scottvandewalle2@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, please do let us know your findings for this so that this has been others will be inform as well. Looking forward to your respond. Thanks.