nvda volume

Monte Single

Hi,

What is the key combo to increase or decrease volume   without using the nvda menu?

Thanks,

Monte

Robert Mendoza

To setup your synth setting for volume, pressing control plus caps lock plus right arrow keys. till you heard of Volume. And to increase press up arrow keys, or down arrow key to decrease the volume you desire.

Robert Mendoza
On 12/13/2017 3:00 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi,

What is the key combo to increase or decrease volume   without using the nvda menu?

Thanks,

Monte

Quentin Christensen

As Robert mentioned, you can use what we call the "Synth settings ring".  To clarify the keystrokes for this, as they vary depending on your setup.

Firstly, your NVDA modifier key will be either INSERT or CAPS LOCK.  Also, if you have NVDA set to use Laptop keyboard layout, add SHIFT to these keystrokes:

Change between adjusting speech rate / volume / voice / pitch etc (the exact options vary between synths): Press NVDA+control+left or right arrow
Increase current setting: NVDA+control+up arrow
Decrease current setting: NVDA+control+down arrow

So, if you are using the default INSERT key as the NVDA modifier and desktop keyboard layout.  To change options is insert+control+right arrow or Insert+control+left arrow.

If you are using caps lock as your NVDA modifier key and using Laptop keyboard layout, then change options with caps lock+control+shift+right arrow

Note that you can set the NVDA modifier key to either insert or caps lock, independently of whether NVDA uses desktop or laptop keyboard layout.

See the User Guide for more information on the synth settings ring: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#SynthSettingsRing

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Monte Single

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Monte

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi

Can I just clarify a point relating to details I have seen in several different posts, the latest being this one.  The first part of the statement below, extracted from this post,  is very mis-leading particularly to people new to NVDA.

“Note that you can set the NVDA modifier key to either insert or caps lock, independently of whether NVDA uses desktop or laptop keyboard layout.”

My point is that it is not a choice between Capslock and Insert being defined as NVDA modifier keys.  Capslock, Numpad Insert  and Extended Insert can all be set                                       as modifier keys for NVDA.  Personally, I set Capslock and Numpad Insert  as NVDA modifiers, as having a modifier key either side of the keyboard causes less disruption to the hand position when typing NVDA commands.

Cheers

Chris

[...]

Gene

And if you set the caps lock to be an NVDA key, no other changes will be made to which keys are NVDA keys.  You can make that change and you will then have both inserts and caps lock set as modifiers.  Both inserts are NVDA keys by default.

[...]

Hi Chris,

Very good point!  I didn't mean to make it confusing; in fact, I was trying to make what was a complicated answer a bit simpler.  Depending on your setup, the exact key to adjust the current synth setting could be any of:
INSERT+CONTROL+UP ARROW
CAPS LOCK+CONTROL+UP ARROW
INSERT+SHIFT+CONTROL+UP ARROW
CAPS LOCK+SHIFT+CONTROL+UP ARROW

and that's after you ensure you are in the right setting to begin with!

Quentin.