Topics

Mandarin Chinese on Computers for a New Chinese Learner

Nguyễn Đức Anh Minh

Hi Larry and mates,

I am a born blind who  use Windows, Android and iOs devices. I plan to self-study  Mandarin Chinese via Internet resources. Could you please make some recommendations of affordable, accessible, effective screen readers, input methods, Chinese-English dictionary and tutorials which meet my objectives.

Many thanks
Minh

Clement Chou

The simplified and traditional chinese IME's are both accessible. And
for a beginner, as long as you install the language packs for windows,
those will be good resources to get you started. NVDA does a good job
of describing characters and what they mean along with the windows 1
core voices. That's my daily solution for Mandarin use as a native
speaker.

On 7/19/20, Nguyễn Đức Anh Minh <anhminh3011@...> wrote:
Hi Larry and mates,

I am a born blind who  use Windows, Android and iOs devices. I plan to
self-study  Mandarin Chinese via Internet resources. Could you please make
some recommendations of affordable, accessible, effective screen readers,
input methods, Chinese-English dictionary and tutorials which meet my
objectives.

Many thanks
Minh

rowen brian <manchen0528@...>

Hello, I am also a visually impaired person who is born blind. I think one of the reasons why learning a language is important is to communicate with friends who use the language.
So I hope to be friends with you.
Oh! No, I hope to be friends with everyone here who wants to learn Chinese.
I can also help with the input method and dictionary you mentioned.
If I can improve my English expression ability in the process of helping you, it will be an extremely high thing.
My Email: manchen_0528@...

Ben J. Bloomgren

Clement,

Which keyboard layout do you use? There are so many.

Ben

On Jul 19, 2020, at 20:00, Clement Chou <chou.clement@...> wrote:

[...]

I recommend the standard Microsoft Pinyin IME for chinese simplified.
Best for a beginner IMO.

On 7/21/20, Ben J. Bloomgren <@BlindBirder> wrote:
[...]

Hi Clement Chou and mates,
Could you please make some recommendations of accessible
Chinese-English, English-Chinese dictionaries as well as accessible
learning matterials for Chinese learners and users.
All the best
Minh

On 7/22/20, Clement Chou <chou.clement@...> wrote:
[...]

Sorry, can't help with that one. I've never looked into materials or
dictionaries. Hopefully someone else will be able to point out
something good!