screen shade

Josh Kennedy

Instead of screen shade. Get a black piece of paper and put it over your screen. And voila, nobody can see your screen at all.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

ely.r@...

Good idea!

I have to wonder what people are writing on their computers in what I assume is a public area that they do not want others to see. If someone has full vision, one would assume that they have their screen turned on so they can both read and write. If so, then it is likely that they will not be writing highly sensitive things that others might see as they walk by. Sorry if this seems insensitive, but. . .

Rick

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] screen shade

Instead of screen shade. Get a black piece of paper and put it over your screen. And voila, nobody can see your screen at all.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Oh ye trusting fellow... :-)
I think many people just like they talk loudly to phones in the street telling everyone of their private goings on often miss the obvious and yes they do use their laptops for sensitive stuff in public.

Still, as I said in a different thread today, one can only go so far for security, the weak link is always us users.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen shade

Good idea!

I have to wonder what people are writing on their computers in what I assume is a public area that they do not want others to see. If someone has full vision, one would assume that they have their screen turned on so they can both read and write. If so, then it is likely that they will not be writing highly sensitive things that others might see as they walk by. Sorry if this seems insensitive, but. . .

Rick

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I was just thinking this. Better still some of that very static prone black out sheeting in vinyl would just stick to the screen when you folded it down aswell!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 12:52 PM

Christo de Klerk

I only need a screen shade occasionally and for short periods. Often sighted people also need to use my screen. What is wrong in controlling that by a hotkey rather than having to stick and remove a sheet of paper. Besides, I may be somewhere with my laptop where I don't have a handy sheet of paper at the ready. It seems like you guys who don't have a need for this feature are just not understanding that some of us do and that an add-on to do it would by far be the simplest. What skin would it be off your nose if someone created a little add-on for us misguided souls who want it? Yes, there are often several ways of achieving something, but some are more convenient than others. You don't have any idea of my personal circumstances and in my circumstances this feature would be handy and, besides, having it wouldn't make life more difficult for you in the slightest.       

On 2017/12/18 2:52 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen,

Looks like I lost after all, and in the process, felt tired and burnt out. I think it might be best to let the add-ons community take care of this and see what happens from there, similar to screen orientation announcement that was originally part of an add-on and now is part of NVDA.

Some concluding remarks from me (for now):

• Alternatives are out there: some folks mentioned dimming the display (which won’t really solve this issue) and physical screen shade (which needs to be purchased).
  • Priorities: As pointed out by some, we developers have priorities to sort through. I, for instance, am asked by this community to produce the 2018 edition of my tutorials, and given my current state, it might be delayed somewhat. Mick Curran is investigating how to let NVDA talk to UIA better, and Reef is going through some bugs and enhancements at the moment. Jamie sent in a patch that’ll make Firefox 58 better for NVDA users, and Quentin is taking a holiday break. Given the effort needed for screen shade, coupled with what we developers are doing at the moment, I suggest that we let the add-ons community take care of this one.
  • Will screen shade increase NVDA’s popularity: as noted by another developer on an online chat, this debate shows the popular appeal for this feature. For some, it is a sound argument, but I think what makes a product popular isn’t inclusion of popular requests alone – stability, consistency, being faithful to its duties to a point where enterprise adoption can occur and what not.

P.S. Looks like I am not a good debater after all…

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christo de Klerk
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 5:52 AM

I only need a screen shade occasionally and for short periods. Often sighted people also need to use my screen. What is wrong in controlling that by a hotkey rather than having to stick and remove a sheet of paper. Besides, I may be somewhere with my laptop where I don't have a handy sheet of paper at the ready. It seems like you guys who don't have a need for this feature are just not understanding that some of us do and that an add-on to do it would by far be the simplest. What skin would it be off your nose if someone created a little add-on for us misguided souls who want it? Yes, there are often several ways of achieving something, but some are more convenient than others. You don't have any idea of my personal circumstances and in my circumstances this feature would be handy and, besides, having it wouldn't make life more difficult for you in the slightest.       

enes sarıbaş

hi,

They can just wrip it off. However, with shade, they cannot diactivate the shade unles they are a high level computer user.

On 12/18/2017 3:52 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

Bhavya shah

Hi Joseph,
No, you are a fine debater, just that the relative weightage of
proposition's points coupled with the popular support in favour of the
screen dimming functionality tilted opinions one way. The motion and
the spectators are two things that are usually balanced and neutral,
setting up the stage for a competitive debate, but such was not the
case in our situation.
Having said all that, since we haven't been comprehensively shown one
functional software-based screen shade that works across all our
Windows systems without exception with the same amount of ease as the
conceptualized and requested screen dimming functionality integrated
into NVDA, that aspect remains unresolved. As far as my understanding
goes, since priorities for a project revolve around what the user
demand is, I find it very much possible that a flood of interest
expressed in the ability to dim the screen could very well trigger a
change in NVDA development priorities. Since I truly believe that the
quality and popularity of a product can be ascertained only by how
well it is able to continually satisfy the user, the consumer, the
customer, the king, any highly requested feature ought to be given due
attention.
I think it is important to be brave in defending your beliefs, and
that is what many of us have done today.
Thanks.

On 12/18/17, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen,

Looks like I lost after all, and in the process, felt tired and burnt out. I
think it might be best to let the add-ons community take care of this and
see what happens from there, similar to screen orientation announcement that
was originally part of an add-on and now is part of NVDA.

* Alternatives are out there: some folks mentioned dimming the display
(which won’t really solve this issue) and physical screen shade (which needs
to be purchased).
* Priorities: As pointed out by some, we developers have priorities to sort
through. I, for instance, am asked by this community to produce the 2018
edition of my tutorials, and given my current state, it might be delayed
somewhat. Mick Curran is investigating how to let NVDA talk to UIA better,
and Reef is going through some bugs and enhancements at the moment. Jamie
sent in a patch that’ll make Firefox 58 better for NVDA users, and Quentin
is taking a holiday break. Given the effort needed for screen shade, coupled
with what we developers are doing at the moment, I suggest that we let the
add-ons community take care of this one.
* Will screen shade increase NVDA’s popularity: as noted by another
developer on an online chat, this debate shows the popular appeal for this
feature. For some, it is a sound argument, but I think what makes a product
popular isn’t inclusion of popular requests alone – stability, consistency,
being faithful to its duties to a point where enterprise adoption can occur
and what not.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christo
de Klerk

I only need a screen shade occasionally and for short periods. Often sighted
people also need to use my screen. What is wrong in controlling that by a
hotkey rather than having to stick and remove a sheet of paper. Besides, I
may be somewhere with my laptop where I don't have a handy sheet of paper at
the ready. It seems like you guys who don't have a need for this feature are
just not understanding that some of us do and that an add-on to do it would
by far be the simplest. What skin would it be off your nose if someone
created a little add-on for us misguided souls who want it? Yes, there are
often several ways of achieving something, but some are more convenient than
others. You don't have any idea of my personal circumstances and in my
circumstances this feature would be handy and, besides, having it wouldn't
make life more difficult for you in the slightest.

Instead of screen shade. Get a black piece of paper and put it over your
screen. And voila, nobody can see your screen at all.

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

I agree with you.

I have not seen a sighted person use a device with the screen off on any device.

You ask any sighted person to use the computer with say sound and only the screen reader and the screen turned off and they are lost.

I my self would not even do any type of banking or sensitive stuff on a public computer just because of security I would want to hope it was really locked down.
And that would be even with a blacked out screen.
I would still not go there on public terminal.

Been in a home situation I would not have a need for it who is going to look my wife? or may be people just do not want people to know they could be looking at one of those .aughty websites.

At home off goes the button on the monitor and then the wife if she wants it just turns it on.

Gene nz

On 12/19/2017 2:03 AM, ely.r@... wrote:

Good idea!

Rick

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Adriani Botez

Screen orientation is important to be reported. For example if you press a certain keystroke in microsoft excel, the screen orientation changes. It is quite confusing when you work together with sighted people and accidentally press that keystroke. However, the change in orientation is not  trigered by nvda. 

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 18.12.2017 um 17:36 schrieb Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>:

Ladies and gentlemen,

Looks like I lost after all, and in the process, felt tired and burnt out. I think it might be best to let the add-ons community take care of this and see what happens from there, similar to screen orientation announcement that was originally part of an add-on and now is part of NVDA.

• Alternatives are out there: some folks mentioned dimming the display (which won’t really solve this issue) and physical screen shade (which needs to be purchased).
  • Priorities: As pointed out by some, we developers have priorities to sort through. I, for instance, am asked by this community to produce the 2018 edition of my tutorials, and given my current state, it might be delayed somewhat. Mick Curran is investigating how to let NVDA talk to UIA better, and Reef is going through some bugs and enhancements at the moment. Jamie sent in a patch that’ll make Firefox 58 better for NVDA users, and Quentin is taking a holiday break. Given the effort needed for screen shade, coupled with what we developers are doing at the moment, I suggest that we let the add-ons community take care of this one.
  • Will screen shade increase NVDA’s popularity: as noted by another developer on an online chat, this debate shows the popular appeal for this feature. For some, it is a sound argument, but I think what makes a product popular isn’t inclusion of popular requests alone – stability, consistency, being faithful to its duties to a point where enterprise adoption can occur and what not.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christo de Klerk

Adriani Botez

I think no one would be against an addon for this. But I think most people would not want the developers to concentrate on integrating it into the core of NVDA since there are not many people who would use it regularly. An addon would be the best way because it gives the user the flexibility to install it if he or she needs it. Me personally, I don’t want to press that keystroke accidentally at work every day. I have to use lots of key strokes and I always have for example the problem in Microsoft Excel where I press a keystroke which changes the screen orientation. I press it accidentally but it iss annoying for the sighted people in our team who I work with. And I think there are many other users who would have this problem in certain situations.

Best

Adriani

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] Im Auftrag von Christo de Klerk
Gesendet: Montag, 18. Dezember 2017 14:52
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] screen shade

Gene

That's micromanaging to the point of diminishing returns.  For one thing, you don't know what the command will be so you don't know if you'll press it accidentally.  For another the screen orientation command you are talking about is an example of where an NVDA command clashes with another command, assuming you are talking about the clash between the read tables and screen orientation command.  there is no reason to assume or to worry that it will be at all likely that such a conflict will occur.  If such a feature is implemented as an add on or as an integration into NVDA, you are making far to much of a small potential and, I think, very unlikely problem.  NVDA plus something like f6  is not going to be a problem, for example. And as the add on is developed or the integration, users will have plenty of time to comment on such a conflict, if it occurs.  But this whole question of add on or integration would be meaningless if the add on were made a part of NVDA by supplying the add on with NVDA and if it is already running.  

Gene     

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 12:35 PM

I think no one would be against an addon for this. But I think most people would not want the developers to concentrate on integrating it into the core of NVDA since there are not many people who would use it regularly. An addon would be the best way because it gives the user the flexibility to install it if he or she needs it. Me personally, I don’t want to press that keystroke accidentally at work every day. I have to use lots of key strokes and I always have for example the problem in Microsoft Excel where I press a keystroke which changes the screen orientation. I press it accidentally but it iss annoying for the sighted people in our team who I work with. And I think there are many other users who would have this problem in certain situations.

Best

Adriani

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] Im Auftrag von Christo de Klerk
Gesendet: Montag, 18. Dezember 2017 14:52
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] screen shade

Sarah k Alawami

I actually have written very sensivite thigns the public can see at my school. I'm no longer paranoid as someone can look over my shoulder. I don't even use the screen curtain on my mac anymore as there could still be ways of delving into what you just typed. I like the idea, but I'd say this is a rank 5 suggestion, very low priority in my humble opinion.

Take care

On Dec 18, 2017, at 5:35 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

Oh ye trusting fellow... :-)
I think many people just like they talk loudly to phones in the street telling everyone of their private goings on often miss the obvious and yes they do use their laptops for  sensitive stuff in public.

Still, as I said in a different thread today, one can only go so far for security, the weak link is always us users.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
----- Original Message ----- From: <ely.r@...>
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:03 PM

Good idea!

Rick

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows 10

Giles Turnbull

Hi all,

the idea of a screen shade isn't one I've thought about before, but I can see how it could be useful! I was curious whether there is anything out there in the freeware community for such tasks.

I've found this tiny download and think it works pretty well (I asked my dad, who is sighted, to tell me if he could see anything on the screen). It's a program called Dimmer, made by a guy called Nelson Pires. The website says “Dimmer is a little free application designed to help control the brightness of your computer.”

You download it and extract the zip file into a folder. There is an exe file that runs the tool; there is an xml file that saves the settings, and a small help file. There's no installation, it just runs and to uninstall it you just delete the folder.

When you run it, it places an icon on the system tray. That took me a while to figure out how to access it! In Win10. I used Cortana to go to taskbar settings where there is a list of all icons that are running on the task bar and system tray, along with check boxes to say whether the icon should be visable or not. Most are selected to not be visible. I used the tab key to work my way down the list and then switched to object navigation to activate the show setting for Dimmer.

When you find Dimmer on the system tray, use the application key (between right ALT and right Ctrl) menu and find the configure... option. Press enter key on that and you get a window with an opacity slider. You can choose between 95 percent opacity (almost nothing viewable on screen) and 5 percent opacity (almost maximum brightness). You can use home and end buttons to jump to 5 or 95, or the left and right cursors to choose what level you prefer. OK, it's not a single hotkey but it'll probably be a stop gap until anybody wants to write an addin to achieve 100 percent opacity.

For comparisson, there is a very similar freeware called PangoBright but that apparently only reduces the brightness to 20 percent / 80 percent opacity and finding its download sites drove me mad! What did amuse me was that the reason Dimmer is limited at 95 percent opacity is because, for the sighted folk in the world, they wouldn't be able to turn the screen on again when they couldn't see the window ... #BlindIsBest

Here's the download page for Dimmer 1.0 on the author's website: http://www.nelsonpires.com/software/dimmer/

Hope this is of some interest :)

Giles

Josh Kennedy

Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade? And why do sighted people they don’t need a screen shade? So why is it good for blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were a sighted person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up my smart phone and do some research and could figure out how to turn it off anyway. And what if the keyboard command for turning it on and off were spread on facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by your computer ;and turn the screen shade off. Or  someone could just hack the computer and use it screen shade or no shade, without even caring screen shade is on or off. Don’t know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget it. If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind son having a screen shade, I would suspect he’s doing or reading stuff he should not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him for a week or so. He gets punished for using screen shade.

Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...>

that is why Elixa is making a killing, they have brought out a screen version.
So all these sighted who didn't like talking to Alexa, will be buying the latest and greatest.
Already in Canada people are blocking things which were but it's all about money for commercials!

EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 11:12 AM

I agree with you.

I have not seen a sighted person use a device with the screen off on any device.

You ask any sighted person to use the computer with say sound and only the screen reader and the screen turned off and they are lost.

I my self would not even do any type of banking or sensitive stuff on a public computer just because of security I would want to hope it was really locked down.

Been in a home situation I would not have a need for it who is going to look my wife? or may be people just do not want people to know they could be looking at one of those .aughty websites.

At home off goes the button on the monitor and then the wife if she wants it just turns it on.

Gene nz

Good idea!

Rick

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Cristóbal

This is apparently a concept where those who have had sight or are still partially sighted are going to intuitively get more than perhaps folks who have never really bothered considering such scenarios.

Don’t forget, there are even screen savers or blank screens that sighted folks can use to shield their screens if a coworker or someone else approaches them. That or they can simply tab out of whatever they may be doing or looking at.

Being blind, we’re going to most likely be oblivious to someone coming up behind us, walking past us, or god knows how many other scenarios where having some privacy regardless of whatever we may be doing would be useful. I know of a blind guy who switched to iOS from Android back in the day because someone apparently while he was doing some mobile banking took a peak over his shoulder and gaffled is pin/password.

People make the straw man argument of why should you care if people see what you’re doing unless you’re doing something you’re not supposed to be doing? This misses the point entirely and is disingenuous at best.

I workout regularlly and am fit. That doesn’t mean I am ok with my blinds being pulled up or the courtains pulled back with the light on at night because who cares. If I’m walking around half naked. I know I look good and it’s not like I’m doing anything wrong. What if I just want my privacy like anyone else would want theirs?

The thing too about people just telling others to turn off their screen or put something over it, etc. is as I’m sure a lot of us have experienced as blind folks. Out of sight, out of mind. You may remember to turn off the screen or lower the brightness that one time, but are you going to remember that every single time you may for one reason or another have to turn the monitor on or bring up the brightness?

All this facebook and twitter research nonsense… I mean come on, and what if someone sneaks up behind you, knocks you out. Takes you to a secluded  cabin in the woods and tortures yoo into showing them how to use NVDA and disable a screen shade… then you’re in some weal twubble.

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 3:32 PM

Ok about the screen shade. Why do blind people need a screen shade? And why do sighted people they don’t need a screen shade? So why is it good for blind to have screen shade but not sighted? Oh and if I were a sighted person and you had a screen shade on, I would just pick up my smart phone and do some research and could figure out how to turn it off anyway. And what if the keyboard command for turning it on and off were spread on facebook and twitter? Now anybody can just come by your computer ;and turn the screen shade off. Or  someone could just hack the computer and use it screen shade or no shade, without even caring screen shade is on or off. Don’t know why you want screen shade, but if it is for privacy? Forget it. If I had a blind son and I were a sighted parent and caught my blind son having a screen shade, I would suspect he’s doing or reading stuff he should not. Guess what? I take the computer or phone away from him for a week or so. He gets punished for using screen shade.

Arlene

That’s what I say. If you have a laptop. Just put a piece of papar over the screen.

Sent: December-18-17 4:53 AM

ely.r@...

Jean in New Zealand and the group in general,

This is the strangest thing I have seen in email. Using Outlook 2016/365, Windows 10 and Newest NVDA, every time I try to open a message from Jean, outlook goes belly up. Sometimes it will do a self-restart, other times I have to start it. Now it could be that Jean’s messages are simply upside down given where they are originating. I have tried turning my monitor and my tower upside down to accommodate, but no luck! Seriously, the event is real, and I don’t get any sort of warning or error message. Has anyone out there seen this? If so, please let me know if you found a fix.

Apologies Jean and thanks anyone,

Rick

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:12 PM

I agree with you.

Gene nz

Good idea!

Rick

--

Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...>

I'm concerned how many things you all do on your computers, that you don't want any buddy to look at.
How many hours in a day do you write this kind of personal data which is something you want to hide?
I think looking at porn is real high usage because they can see the screen, it stops no one from using these acts.
With sound a porn sight with audio would require head phones don't you think?
I love the audio ducking in NVDA, because you can accomplish so much while using the computer and then when it's just stream the sound is at the sound you want.
Marry Christmas and a happy new year.

I worked at a company where co - workers who are sighted and didn't work directly in my group, but because I kept my screen off, and wore head phones they didn't think I was working.
But I didn't let the matter go, if my eyes are getting bothered from the light on the monitor it was a great move.In stead of waiting for someone to write code to prevent this matter.

Hope not all of us have to continuously write letters which no one else should write.
good night!

EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
$$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 4:32 PM