From: Simone Dal Maso
Sent: August 24, 2020 1:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda]Which video software for nvda

Il 23/08/2020 18:47, CARLOS-ESTEBAN ha scritto:

> Pontes Media is safe. A program don’t safe is, for example, Multi Extra,

> but the developer also created in 2016 an addon malicious for NVDA and

> this person is popular for this reason.

yes, the problem is that I installed multiextra sometimes ago, and now I

really don't know if I have some malware on my pc. The software now is

not free anymore, I hope nobody will use it!

I don't like when a person use a free software and in a second it

becomes commercial or paysoftware. I think the user should be advised

before. You update and... end!

Hettie

Thanks for telling me.

Hettie

On 2020/08/23 10:14 pm, Jackie wrote:
I'm told it's actually against Google's TOS to download Youtube stuff,
so maybe this is why you're having trouble.

On 8/23/20, Hettie <woehler.hettie@...> wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll try Pontes Media Downloader as
soon as I know how it works, smiles.

Hettie

On 2020/08/22 10:38 pm, Jackie wrote:
Please be careful when downloading video converters. They tend to be
notorious for containing potentially unwanted programs (PUP's) or even
outright malware. I can't count the number of machines I've had to
repair over the years because of this very reason. If you do decide
you absolutely must have such, then please try ninite first
www.ninite.com
as this bypasses all the crapware.

If not, then at least pay attention when installing & uncheck the
other offerings most of these try to present, but even so, that
doesn't always work. & Google does not screen these, so searching for
such programs there does not mean you'll necessarily get a
crapware-free app.

On 8/22/20, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
Hi Heddy,

Pontes Media Downloader does give you the option to download the full
unconverted video from Youtube.  It also allows  conversion to MP3 and
other audio formats.  I am totally blind myself and therefore I cannot
make accurate analysis of just what quality of videos are downloaded.
By default, it downloads the video in MP4 format.  I think this may be a
compressed form of the video, so if compressed video format is not good
enough, maybe this won't work for you.

In any case, the download page for this app is:
http://www.pontes.ro/en/scripts/#pmd

On 8/22/2020 4:03 PM, Hettie wrote:
I spent a lot of time searching Google for an accessible video
downloader that works with nvda.

I came accros Ummy Video Downloader  and it looks like a possibility
but unfortunately it allows only 1 free download before you need to
pay. The subscription price falls out of my monthly or once-off
budget. The video I downloaded from Youtube was of a very high quality.

Any suggestions for a free app?

Hettie

On 2020/08/22 9:45 pm, Gene wrote:
I don't use the updater so others can discuss it.  Regarding add-ons,
I don't know where you are looking.  If you go to:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html
that is the official NVDA add-ons page.  That doesn't mean that no
other add-ons are available elsewhere, it means that these have been
checked by NVDA volunteers for safety and that they work properly.

You are on the stable add-ons page.  You will see a link as you look
down the page for add-ons under development.  You may use them if you
wish but they may have bugs, being sort of like betas.

Legacy add-ons, as I understand it, and there is a link to them as
well, are those that can be used with older versions of NVDA.  I'm
not sure, but I don't think they will work with current versions.

If you go to the page I gave a link to earlier and move down the page
using h for heading, you will move from add-on link to add-on link.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: David Ingram
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 2:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] what addons can i get with the most recent version of
NVDA?

Hi list members, i'd like to know is there a more recent updater, and
what addons can I use with the most recent version of NVDA? There
doesn't seem to  be many choices in terms of addons that I can choose
to use.  I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give in
reguards to my questions. Thank you.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

https://www.avg.com

Simone Dal Maso

Il 23/08/2020 18:47, CARLOS-ESTEBAN ha scritto:
Pontes Media is safe. A program don’t safe is, for example, Multi Extra, but the developer also created in 2016 an addon malicious for NVDA and this person is popular for this reason.
yes, the problem is that I installed multiextra sometimes ago, and now I really don't know if I have some malware on my pc. The software now is not free anymore, I hope nobody will use it!
I don't like when a person use a free software and in a second it becomes commercial or paysoftware. I think the user should be advised before. You update and... end!

Ian Blackburn

hi

Pontes.   is interesting. Its menus are a bit mucked up for NVDA. I cant read the table of short cut keys properly. It only displays the short cut key and not what they do.

The programme looks a bit like a portable app. If you copy the contents of its directory that it installed in to and put it elsewhere it seems to run okay even if it is on a different windows machine. I did this with a very old windows program called pdf to txt utility that would not install on windows 10. It works well if you just put the contents from the original install on a directory in your computer

Ian

On 24/08/2020 8:23 am, Gene wrote:

Do the things in reverse order.  Get the address on the clipboard first.
Then open Pontes.  The point is not to perhaps have one thing on the
clipboard first, then have it change after the program opens.

Also, after you open the program, tab around to find the download button.
If you don't want to change the folder, you are looking for just a download
button.
Here are the steps when downloading if you don't want to change anything:
New steps start on new lines:
Have your browser go to the Youtube page from which the video streams.  It
will probably start to stream.
Go to the address bar and copy the link to the clipboard.
Close the browser or that page to stop the stream unless you want to listen
to it.
Open Pontes.
The address is automatically pasted into the edit field, which you will see
as you tab around.
Assuming you don't want to change anything, tab to the download button and
press the space bar.  Just the download button, not anything like download
folder.
You should hear a soft musical sound and the file will start to download.
To confirm that something is going on, move to the status line with control
s. Use the read current line command to read it.
When the download and conversion is finished, you should hear another
musical tone and the status line should say idle.  The file should be in the
folder it is supposed  to be in.

On my computer, there are times when I start version 3.1 and it doesn't do
anything for perhaps half a minute or a little more.  When I read the title
bar, it says not responding.  Then it starts to respond.  When it does, your
first time using the program, tab through everything.  You will see such
things as combo boxes to change what files are converted to.  To change the
rate of conversion, I'm not sure, but you may have to work with the menus.
But let's nmot ghet into all that now.  Tab around the entire part of the
interface, which contains the common things you may do and the more common
things you may want to do.
These instructions apply to version 2.x as well, as I recall, things are so
similar that you won't do anything differently when downloading a file and
seeing combo boxes, etc.  You should see very similar things,.  I don't know
which version you are using so I added those comments.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 3:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi Heddie,

1.  Launch Pontes.
2.  Open your browser and launch the Youtube videoe.
3.  Go to the address bar and copy the address.
4.  Move back to Pontes and paste in the address.
5.  By default, the file should download into your default download
folder.  I have changed mine to something different.  you can do this
under the Pontes settings. Actually you can tab to the item labeled
download folder and press enter or space bar on it and a select folder
dialogue should open where you can use normal Explorer navigation to
select a new folder.

One other thing: You can make Pontes automatically copy the address from
a Youtube page when it is launched under Pontes settings.  If you do
this, there are some focus issues.  You may have to alt + tab around a
few times to regain focus to Pontes once you launch the desired Youtube
page.

If you need any more help, feel free to post again.

On 8/23/2020 3:44 PM, Hettie wrote:
Hi Ron

I installed Pontes Media Downloader but at a loss as to how the program
works. It shows the youtube file I want to download but I can't download
it. Where can I find documentation or would you help me to understand the
program?

Hettie

Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 2:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
NVDA?

Hi list members, i'd like to know is there a more recent updater, and
what addons can I use with the most recent version of NVDA? There
doesn't seem to  be many choices in terms of addons that I can choose
to use.  I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give in
reguards to my questions. Thank you.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

This method does indeed work.  How exactly does it work?  Is there any danger?  The reason I ask is because the page that allows this once you insert the pp after the youtube doesn't specifically say what it is or if it does, it is not too screen reader friendly. In addition, the process is a bit convoluted--especially if you want to convert from the video to MP3 or other audio formats.  It does work, but it will take some getting used to.

On 8/23/2020 4:28 PM, abdul muhamin wrote:

Hi, there is no need to install separate software to download videos, the IDM can do the job, put pp in the video URL after YouTube. for example: youtubepp.com/aweofijoijm;vasdnv

Sent from Mail for Windows 10