Topics

Trying to install NVDA from a portable copy on new Windows 10 computer but can't focus on the NVDA menu

Sharni-Lee Ward

Hi,

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I
tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I
opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case
that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder
containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer
out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even
focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech
list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being
ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

Chris

Hello

I saw your other post, but wasn’t sure what you are trying to achieve?

Are you saying you want to run a portable copy of nvda or you cant run a portable copy?

Or are you wanting to install from a portable copy?

Or cant install it to your computer?

If you can be a bit ore specific that will help, thanks

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

Sharni-Lee Ward

Right, so my mother was able to open the portable copy of NVDA, and I was in the window where the NVDA Portable folder was. Then I pressed caps-lock+n to open the NVDA menu and it said NVDA menu, but when I scrolled with the arrow keys it was only reading the items in the NVDA Portable folder, and so I couldn't select anything from the NVDA menu. I tried alt+tab but that just landed me in the same window. I tried pressing NVDA+n again, but that didn't work. I can't install from the portable copy if I can't access the NVDA menu.

On 19/12/2017 10:20 PM, Chris wrote:

[...]

Is the menu open do you know?

The default nvda modifier is the insert key you can change it to the caps lock keybut that is not the default

So try the insert+N and see what happens then

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

Sharni-Lee Ward

My portable copy has all my settings and I have caps lock set as the modifier on it. I also tried using the modifier +q to exit, and I know that menu popped up but focus didn't switch to it automatically. My mother and sister could see it but I couldn't.

On 20/12/2017 12:10 AM, Chris wrote:

Is the menu open do you know?

The default nvda modifier is the insert key you can change it to the caps lock keybut that is not the default

So try the insert+N and see what happens then

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

Chris

Maybe the open window has focus, try closing the window and see if that helps any

Or try windows key+D to go to the desktop and see if that is better

Or failing that go to the notification tray windows key+B and see if you can open the nvda menu with the tray icon

Or if that dowsnt work restart nvda and/or the computer

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

Gene

You haven't determined if this is a problem you are having with NVDA in general or a problem with your specific copy that you customized.  Download a completely clean exe file, run it, and when given the choice, select the keep running option.  See if you can do the things with it that you can't with the tailored copy you are working with.

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

Sharni-Lee Ward

I'm writing this from the new computer. Things seem to have worked out fine. Although end and home aren't working right now. Maybe they're in a different position on this laptop. Anyways, I'm using the computer and will hopefully get all my stuff in order soon. :)

On 20/12/2017 1:55 AM, Chris wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

So you got it to work then. Half the issues with portable copies is they do not have the low level access of an installed copy. I generally install a clean copy first from a download and then use the portable version to copy the config over when I'm happy.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I
tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I
opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case
that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder
containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer
out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even
focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech
list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being
ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

Kevin Cussick

so quit nvda and bring it up again, this some times has happened to me and this is what I do.

On 19/12/2017 11:26, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
[...]

Fernando Apan

Hi Brian. Could you explain me what is the process to install NVDA clean and then copy your configuration from a portable copy? Thanks!

Fernando Apan
Tel: (228) 8 16 53 90
Twitter: @fernandoapan
Skype: fernando.apan
Sitio web personal:
http://www.musicaenbraille.com
Museo del café:
Atención: usted está recibiendo un mensaje de una persona ciega. Por favor, si envía imágenes, descríbalas en el cuerpo del mensaje ya que éstas no son accesibles para lectores de pantalla. La inclusión la hacemos todos.
Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 19 dic 2017, a las 15:53, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io <the.big.white.shepherd@...> escribió:

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi Fernando

I’ve just done this myself and I copied NVDA from an old computer to a new one as follows:

  1. Created a portable copy of NVDA on a USB stick from my old computer (NVDA 17.4).
  2. Plugged USB stick into new computer and ran portable copy of NVDA
  3. Opened NVDA menu, pressed t for Tools, then arrowed down to Install NVDA.. and pressed enter.
  4. NVDA began  installing after pressing alt Y to UAC prompt

At end of installation, NVDA opens a dialog asking:

Start NVDA after loggin into Windows (this was checked)

Start NVDA on log-in screen (this was checked)

Copy profile to installed copy (not checked)

I check to ‘Copy profile’ box and pressed enter on OK button.  It created NVDA exactly as it was on my old computer, including synthesizers, ad-ons etc.  As far as I’m aware, the only thing it did not replicate from my old computer was I had copied my NVDA profile to the Windows system and this it could not do as it is an admin function, so it just uses the default when voicing the log-in screen.

Cheers

Chris

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#32452) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

NVDA on groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Other links:
Get NVDA add-ons at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/
NVDA on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/

Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group

_._,_._

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I simply installed it over the top, but I first installed it clean. I have no idea why it works better than simply running the portable copy on a machine, then doing an install. It just does for me.
Of course some people who have older machines might get an issue if they use 2017.4 and want it to run on XP, Vista or a Windows 7 machine without sop1!
Those combinations will not work so those buzzing around with a portable version who might encounter any of those machines should use 2017.3 as a separate version on the stick.

http://www.elcafe-tal.com

El 19 dic 2017, a las 15:53, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io <the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> escribió:

[...]

Nine times out of ten, yes, but the original poster of the thread was having issues, and I posted my work around to that.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I got a Windows 10 laptop as an early Christmas present and earlier, I

tried to install NVDA on it from the portable copy I have, but when I

opened the NVDA Menu, focus didn't switch to it. I tried alt+tab in case

that would help, but I always landed on the window with the folder

containing the portable copy. I really wanna start working this computer

out and setting it up to my liking, but I can't do that if I can't even

focus on the window I want to focus on. I've asked on the blind tech

list but nobody's talking yet and I'm scared my post might end up being

ignored because I sent it just as everyone was going to bed.

_._,_._,_

_____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#32452) <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/32452> | Reply To Group <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bnvda%5D%20Trying%20to%20install%20NVDA%20from%20a%20portable%20copy%20on%20new%20Windows%2010%20computer%20but%20can%27t%20focus%20on%20the%20NVDA%20menu> | Reply To Sender <mailto:ferapan@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bnvda%5D%20Trying%20to%20install%20NVDA%20from%20a%20portable%20copy%20on%20new%20Windows%2010%20computer%20but%20can%27t%20focus%20on%20the%20NVDA%20menu> | Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/7659734/59840> | New Topic <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/post>

NVDA on groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Other links:
Get NVDA add-ons at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/
NVDA on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/

Group Home <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda>
Contact Group Owner <mailto:nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io>
Terms Of Service <https://groups.io/static/tos>

_._,_._

Fernando Apan

Thanks, Chris! My very best wishes for you and all for this Christmas and the upcoming year.

El 20 dic 2017, a las 11:30, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> escribió:

I simply installed it over the top, but I first installed it clean. I have no idea why it works better than simply running the portable copy on a machine, then doing an install. It just does for me.
Of course some people who have older machines might get an issue if they use 2017.4 and want it to run on XP, Vista or a Windows 7 machine without sop1!
Those combinations will not work so those buzzing around with a portable version who might encounter any of those machines should use 2017.3 as a separate version on the stick.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-