Topics

Welcome to NVDA 2018: production under way

Dear NVDA community,

A few weeks ago I asked on the NVDA users list if I should record an updated version of the popular “Welcome to NVDA” tutorial series, and everyone said “yes”. Thus, I’m happy to announce that production of 2018 edition of this tutorial series is under way. Due to a completely new synthesizer to be used, coupled with use of Microsoft Edge for various web browsing examples, I’m recording most sections anew. I’m also redoing most recordings to make the sound quality consistent throughout the tutorial set, as the 2013 and 2015 editions had varying audio quality.

Changes in the 2018 edition (part 1 is completed and waiting to be assembled soon):

  • Overall: use of Windows oneCore synthesizer. Due to popular request, each topic will be an mp3 file of its own.
  • Introduction (part 1): the new checkbox that offers to start the portable copy when created is covered, along with restart with debug logging option. Due to time constraints, new command line options are not covered (they’ll be covered in an addendum).
  • Basics (part 2): the newly expanded welcome dialog will be covered. Apart from that, there’s nothing new in 2018 edition.
  • Objects (part 3): stays the same except for new speech synthesizer.
  • Web browsing (part 4): most examples will use Firefox and Edge, with one or two requiring use of Internet Explorer. A new section on MathML reading will be covered.
  • Apps (part 5): Some replacements and new apps. In Microsoft Word section, I’ll briefly demonstrate braille input support.
  • Configuration (parts 6 and 7): Windows 10 OCR will be mentioned but will not be covered, and a host of changes will be done thanks to new and revised options in NVDA.
  • Tools (part 8): Windows 10 OCR will be covered last.
  • Add-ons (part 9): instead of OCR add-on, Golden Cursor will be covered. Also, how to disable individual add-ons will be shown.
  • Possible addenda: command-line switches, NVDA on Windows 10 on ARM.

For the most part, content should be identical to the 2015 edition. The current edition of the tutorial set can be found at:

http://www.josephsl.net/tutorials

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Joseph,

I'm looking forward to listening to the new tutorial once it's completed. Thank you for doing this for us.

Rosemarie

[...]

Lino Morales

I agree button. I'm more intrested in hering the new voice you speak of. Is it a new MS one or some new sexy sounding 3rd party female one LOL! Inquiring minds wanna to know Jo.

[...]

Adriani Botez

Thank you Joseph for your great work.

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 20.12.2017 um 00:56 schrieb Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>:

[...]

Arlene

I’m looking forward to the new NVDA. It rocks! Thanks for all your good work.

[...]

Curtis Delzer

AND, HEY, ALL CAPS SAYS I SECOND THIS! All the wonderful work you do is always top notch and fully appreciated by anyone who takes the time to really learn.

[...]

i sincerely appreciate you and request divine infinite mercy and
blessings for you.

On 12/20/17, Curtis Delzer <curtis@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Bhavya shah

Hi Joseph,
Thank you for taking this up. I was a beneficiary of the 2015 edition
of your audio tutorial series, and am therefore confident that this
updated iteration too shall prove useful for many newbies.
Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Angela Delicata

Wow, cannot wait to  listening to it. I know it takes time to do such tasks, so thank you again.

Il 19/12/2017 23:40, Joseph Lee ha scritto:
[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

One thing, is the new mail app covered and also the alternatives which it is felt work best, or maybe somebody needs to do an end to end of webmail on google as well.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Hi,
The Windows 10 Mail app will be covered briefly.
Cheers,
Joseph