Topics

Welcome to NVDA 2018: production under way

Dear NVDA community,

A few weeks ago I asked on the NVDA users list if I should record an updated version of the popular “Welcome to NVDA” tutorial series, and everyone said “yes”. Thus, I’m happy to announce that production of 2018 edition of this tutorial series is under way. Due to a completely new synthesizer to be used, coupled with use of Microsoft Edge for various web browsing examples, I’m recording most sections anew. I’m also redoing most recordings to make the sound quality consistent throughout the tutorial set, as the 2013 and 2015 editions had varying audio quality.

Changes in the 2018 edition (part 1 is completed and waiting to be assembled soon):

• Overall: use of Windows oneCore synthesizer. Due to popular request, each topic will be an mp3 file of its own.
  • Introduction (part 1): the new checkbox that offers to start the portable copy when created is covered, along with restart with debug logging option. Due to time constraints, new command line options are not covered (they’ll be covered in an addendum).
  • Basics (part 2): the newly expanded welcome dialog will be covered. Apart from that, there’s nothing new in 2018 edition.
  • Objects (part 3): stays the same except for new speech synthesizer.
  • Web browsing (part 4): most examples will use Firefox and Edge, with one or two requiring use of Internet Explorer. A new section on MathML reading will be covered.
  • Apps (part 5): Some replacements and new apps. In Microsoft Word section, I’ll briefly demonstrate braille input support.
  • Configuration (parts 6 and 7): Windows 10 OCR will be mentioned but will not be covered, and a host of changes will be done thanks to new and revised options in NVDA.
  • Tools (part 8): Windows 10 OCR will be covered last.
  • Add-ons (part 9): instead of OCR add-on, Golden Cursor will be covered. Also, how to disable individual add-ons will be shown.
  • Possible addenda: command-line switches, NVDA on Windows 10 on ARM.

For the most part, content should be identical to the 2015 edition. The current edition of the tutorial set can be found at:

http://www.josephsl.net/tutorials

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Joseph,

I'm looking forward to listening to the new tutorial once it's completed. Thank you for doing this for us.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: production under way

Dear NVDA community,

A few weeks ago I asked on the NVDA users list if I should record an updated version of the popular “Welcome to NVDA” tutorial series, and everyone said “yes”. Thus, I’m happy to announce that production of 2018 edition of this tutorial series is under way. Due to a completely new synthesizer to be used, coupled with use of Microsoft Edge for various web browsing examples, I’m recording most sections anew. I’m also redoing most recordings to make the sound quality consistent throughout the tutorial set, as the 2013 and 2015 editions had varying audio quality.

Changes in the 2018 edition (part 1 is completed and waiting to be assembled soon):

• Overall: use of Windows oneCore synthesizer. Due to popular request, each topic will be an mp3 file of its own.
  • Introduction (part 1): the new checkbox that offers to start the portable copy when created is covered, along with restart with debug logging option. Due to time constraints, new command line options are not covered (they’ll be covered in an addendum).
  • Basics (part 2): the newly expanded welcome dialog will be covered. Apart from that, there’s nothing new in 2018 edition.
  • Web browsing (part 4): most examples will use Firefox and Edge, with one or two requiring use of Internet Explorer. A new section on MathML reading will be covered.
  • Apps (part 5): Some replacements and new apps. In Microsoft Word section, I’ll briefly demonstrate braille input support.
  • Configuration (parts 6 and 7): Windows 10 OCR will be mentioned but will not be covered, and a host of changes will be done thanks to new and revised options in NVDA.
  • Add-ons (part 9): instead of OCR add-on, Golden Cursor will be covered. Also, how to disable individual add-ons will be shown.

For the most part, content should be identical to the 2015 edition. The current edition of the tutorial set can be found at:

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Lino Morales

I agree button. I'm more intrested in hering the new voice you speak of. Is it a new MS one or some new sexy sounding 3rd party female one LOL! Inquiring minds wanna to know Jo.

On 12/19/2017 6:56 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, Joseph,

I'm looking forward to listening to the new tutorial once it's completed. Thank you for doing this for us.

Rosemarie

Dear NVDA community,

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Adriani Botez

Thank you Joseph for your great work.

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 20.12.2017 um 00:56 schrieb Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>:

Hi, Joseph,

Rosemarie

Dear NVDA community,

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Arlene

I’m looking forward to the new NVDA. It rocks! Thanks for all your good work.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: December-19-17 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: production under way

Hi, Joseph,

Rosemarie

Dear NVDA community,

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Curtis Delzer

AND, HEY, ALL CAPS SAYS I SECOND THIS! All the wonderful work you do is always top notch and fully appreciated by anyone who takes the time to really learn.

On 12/19/2017 3:56 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, Joseph,

Rosemarie

Dear NVDA community,

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

i sincerely appreciate you and request divine infinite mercy and
blessings for you.

On 12/20/17, Curtis Delzer <curtis@...> wrote:
AND, HEY, ALL CAPS SAYS I SECOND THIS! All the wonderful work you do is
always top notch and fully appreciated by anyone who takes the time to
really learn.

Hi, Joseph,

I'm looking forward to listening to the new tutorial once it's
completed. Thank you for doing this for us.

Rosemarie

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*Joseph Lee
*Sent:* Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:40 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: production under way

Dear NVDA community,

A few weeks ago I asked on the NVDA users list if I should record an
updated version of the popular “Welcome to NVDA” tutorial series, and
everyone said “yes”. Thus, I’m happy to announce that production of
2018 edition of this tutorial series is under way. Due to a completely
new synthesizer to be used, coupled with use of Microsoft Edge for
various web browsing examples, I’m recording most sections anew. I’m
also redoing most recordings to make the sound quality consistent
throughout the tutorial set, as the 2013 and 2015 editions had varying
audio quality.

Changes in the 2018 edition (part 1 is completed and waiting to be
assembled soon):

* Overall: use of Windows oneCore synthesizer. Due to popular
request, each topic will be an mp3 file of its own.
* Introduction (part 1): the new checkbox that offers to start the
portable copy when created is covered, along with restart with
debug logging option. Due to time constraints, new command line
options are not covered (they’ll be covered in an addendum).
* Basics (part 2): the newly expanded welcome dialog will be
covered. Apart from that, there’s nothing new in 2018 edition.
* Objects (part 3): stays the same except for new speech synthesizer.
* Web browsing (part 4): most examples will use Firefox and Edge,
with one or two requiring use of Internet Explorer. A new section
on MathML reading will be covered.
* Apps (part 5): Some replacements and new apps. In Microsoft Word
section, I’ll briefly demonstrate braille input support.
* Configuration (parts 6 and 7): Windows 10 OCR will be mentioned
but will not be covered, and a host of changes will be done thanks
to new and revised options in NVDA.
* Tools (part 8): Windows 10 OCR will be covered last.
* Add-ons (part 9): instead of OCR add-on, Golden Cursor will be
covered. Also, how to disable individual add-ons will be shown.
* Possible addenda: command-line switches, NVDA on Windows 10 on ARM.

For the most part, content should be identical to the 2015 edition.
The current edition of the tutorial set can be found at:

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the entire creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration from prophet Mohammad is:
indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
www.al-islam.org

Bhavya shah

Hi Joseph,
Thank you for taking this up. I was a beneficiary of the 2015 edition
of your audio tutorial series, and am therefore confident that this
updated iteration too shall prove useful for many newbies.
Thanks.

On 12/20/17, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
i sincerely appreciate you and request divine infinite mercy and
blessings for you.

On 12/20/17, Curtis Delzer <curtis@...> wrote:
AND, HEY, ALL CAPS SAYS I SECOND THIS! All the wonderful work you do is
always top notch and fully appreciated by anyone who takes the time to
really learn.

Hi, Joseph,

I'm looking forward to listening to the new tutorial once it's
completed. Thank you for doing this for us.

Rosemarie

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*Joseph Lee
*Sent:* Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:40 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: production under way

Dear NVDA community,

updated version of the popular “Welcome to NVDA” tutorial series, and
everyone said “yes”. Thus, I’m happy to announce that production of
2018 edition of this tutorial series is under way. Due to a completely
new synthesizer to be used, coupled with use of Microsoft Edge for
various web browsing examples, I’m recording most sections anew. I’m
also redoing most recordings to make the sound quality consistent
throughout the tutorial set, as the 2013 and 2015 editions had varying
audio quality.

assembled soon):

* Overall: use of Windows oneCore synthesizer. Due to popular
request, each topic will be an mp3 file of its own.
portable copy when created is covered, along with restart with
debug logging option. Due to time constraints, new command line
options are not covered (they’ll be covered in an addendum).
* Basics (part 2): the newly expanded welcome dialog will be
covered. Apart from that, there’s nothing new in 2018 edition.
* Web browsing (part 4): most examples will use Firefox and Edge,
with one or two requiring use of Internet Explorer. A new section
on MathML reading will be covered.
section, I’ll briefly demonstrate braille input support.
* Configuration (parts 6 and 7): Windows 10 OCR will be mentioned
but will not be covered, and a host of changes will be done thanks
to new and revised options in NVDA.

For the most part, content should be identical to the 2015 edition.
The current edition of the tutorial set can be found at:

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the entire creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration from prophet Mohammad is:
indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
www.al-islam.org

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Angela Delicata

Wow, cannot wait to  listening to it. I know it takes time to do such tasks, so thank you again.

Il 19/12/2017 23:40, Joseph Lee ha scritto:
Dear NVDA community,

A few weeks ago I asked on the NVDA users list if I should record an updated
version of the popular "Welcome to NVDA" tutorial series, and everyone said
"yes". Thus, I'm happy to announce that production of 2018 edition of this
tutorial series is under way. Due to a completely new synthesizer to be
used, coupled with use of Microsoft Edge for various web browsing examples,
I'm recording most sections anew. I'm also redoing most recordings to make
the sound quality consistent throughout the tutorial set, as the 2013 and
2015 editions had varying audio quality.

Changes in the 2018 edition (part 1 is completed and waiting to be assembled
soon):

* Overall: use of Windows oneCore synthesizer. Due to popular request,
each topic will be an mp3 file of its own.
portable copy when created is covered, along with restart with debug logging
option. Due to time constraints, new command line options are not covered
(they'll be covered in an addendum).
* Basics (part 2): the newly expanded welcome dialog will be covered.
Apart from that, there's nothing new in 2018 edition.
* Web browsing (part 4): most examples will use Firefox and Edge, with
one or two requiring use of Internet Explorer. A new section on MathML
reading will be covered.
section, I'll briefly demonstrate braille input support.
* Configuration (parts 6 and 7): Windows 10 OCR will be mentioned but
will not be covered, and a host of changes will be done thanks to new and
revised options in NVDA.

For the most part, content should be identical to the 2015 edition. The
current edition of the tutorial set can be found at:

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

---
Questa email è stata esaminata alla ricerca di virus da AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

One thing, is the new mail app covered and also the alternatives which it is felt work best, or maybe somebody needs to do an end to end of webmail on google as well.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:40 PM

Dear NVDA community,

A few weeks ago I asked on the NVDA users list if I should record an updated
version of the popular "Welcome to NVDA" tutorial series, and everyone said
used, coupled with use of Microsoft Edge for various web browsing examples,

Changes in the 2018 edition (part 1 is completed and waiting to be assembled
soon):

portable copy when created is covered, along with restart with debug logging
reading will be covered.
revised options in NVDA.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,
The Windows 10 Mail app will be covered briefly.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:50 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: production under way

One thing, is the new mail app covered and also the alternatives which it is
felt work best, or maybe somebody needs to do an end to end of webmail on
google as well.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:40 PM

Dear NVDA community,

updated
version of the popular "Welcome to NVDA" tutorial series, and everyone
said
used, coupled with use of Microsoft Edge for various web browsing
examples,

assembled
soon):

portable copy when created is covered, along with restart with debug
logging
reading will be covered.
revised options in NVDA.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph