Topics

Long-standing NVDA bug with visual studio still unresolved

rowen brian

Yes, too much useless information is almost unbearable, hope to fix it.

Andy B.

Shouldn’t be too hard to get it to break.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 12:25 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Long-standing NVDA bug with visual studio still unresolved

Hi,

I’ll do my best to reproduce the problem (I have VS 2019 Community on my system; mostly used to build NVDA but now I get to use the full IDE for this purpose).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy B.
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 5:24 AM

The problem exists in Visual Studio 2015 up to the current 2019.7.x build. The autocomplete problem is also present in VSCode Insider’s. This only happens when using VS or VSCode with NVDA. The earliest I remember the problem is NVDA 2019.1. JAWS/narrator have no problems with autocomplete.

Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:46 PM

Hi,

If the problem is seen with VS 2015 while using NVDA 2020.2, then it is something for us (NVDA developers) should investigate further. Since it is not seen with JAWS, try using it with Narrator and see if that makes a difference. If Narrator does not exhibit this issue, then it might be something to do with the way NVDA handles IntelliSense control (specifically, the API class associated with it).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Robinett
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 12:24 PM
Subject: [nvda] Long-standing NVDA bug with visual studio still unresolved

Hello,

A link to the GitHub issue for this problem can be found at the end of this message. It has been reported that there is a bug in NVDA such that when the user tries to arrow up or down through IntelliSense suggestions while working in the code editor of visual studio 2017 that it doesn’t just read the menu option but rather the whole line of code every time, making the feature almost unusable.

I can confirm that this same issue still exists in visual studio 2019. It’s frustrating and disappointing that this bug has not been fixed. This problem did not exist in visual studio 2015 so we know NVDA is capable of properly announcing IntelliSense menu options, and the jaws screen reader does not exhibit this behavior so we know it’s not a problem with Microsoft. I’m really hoping somebody at NVDA will finally address and resolve this long-standing bug. Several tech savvy users have tried but haven’t been successful in correcting it.

Hi,

I’ll do my best to reproduce the problem (I have VS 2019 Community on my system; mostly used to build NVDA but now I get to use the full IDE for this purpose).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy B.
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 5:24 AM

The problem exists in Visual Studio 2015 up to the current 2019.7.x build. The autocomplete problem is also present in VSCode Insider’s. This only happens when using VS or VSCode with NVDA. The earliest I remember the problem is NVDA 2019.1. JAWS/narrator have no problems with autocomplete.

Hi,

If the problem is seen with VS 2015 while using NVDA 2020.2, then it is something for us (NVDA developers) should investigate further. Since it is not seen with JAWS, try using it with Narrator and see if that makes a difference. If Narrator does not exhibit this issue, then it might be something to do with the way NVDA handles IntelliSense control (specifically, the API class associated with it).

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello,

A link to the GitHub issue for this problem can be found at the end of this message. It has been reported that there is a bug in NVDA such that when the user tries to arrow up or down through IntelliSense suggestions while working in the code editor of visual studio 2017 that it doesn’t just read the menu option but rather the whole line of code every time, making the feature almost unusable.

I can confirm that this same issue still exists in visual studio 2019. It’s frustrating and disappointing that this bug has not been fixed. This problem did not exist in visual studio 2015 so we know NVDA is capable of properly announcing IntelliSense menu options, and the jaws screen reader does not exhibit this behavior so we know it’s not a problem with Microsoft. I’m really hoping somebody at NVDA will finally address and resolve this long-standing bug. Several tech savvy users have tried but haven’t been successful in correcting it.

Andy B.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello,

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello,

Luke Robinett

Hello,