Topics

Over verbosity in the Winamp plugin

Gene

Perhaps it should be able to be turned on and off.

From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 10:27 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Over verbosity in the Winamp plugin

I actually didn't mind this. In fact because I had at the time a broken keyboard I would want to hear, next, pause, forward, etc. I use foobar now so don't care either way.

On 10 Sep 2020, at 1:40, Gene wrote:

I could have written this as a direct comment to the authors of the plugin, but it may be better to get different opinions here so the authors may have a better sense of what people want, to the extent that the comments may or may not be representative.

I am asking that certain speech be taken out of the plugin or that it be off by default. Specifically, the announcement of play, stop, ;paused and unpaused. There are times when you don't need speech to tell you something. The action is immediately evident in what a program does and at times, the speech is intrusive and annoying. When listening to audio, self-evident announcements such as I mentioned above are, to me intrusive and annoying. I don't object to the rest of the speech. Hering on and off or centered is useful to confirm that a command has been carried out. It isn't nearly as obvious without speech, for example, if you turn repeat on, you wont know it is on until the file repeats.

Gene

Sarah k Alawami

[...]

I would think they should both be separately controled as to whether they speak. Or perhaps in the case of track announcement, perhaps I should say, whether it is on or off since I don't know which is a better way to control the behavior or if it matters.