Topics

NVDA and security info

Quentin Christensen

In terms of security, we do often get asked this (it's something a lot of IT managers look into for any software they install).  We've tried to put up answers to most of the common questions we get asked on our corporate / government page at https://www.nvaccess.org/corporate-government/

Basically, the only internet access NVDA uses is to check for updates, and provide some non-personal information (eg Windows version, NVDA version) - both of which are optional.  You can disable those features or even deny NVDA access to the Internet completely and it will work just fine without any issues.  The NVDA binary, the file you download, is also digitally signed by NV Access so you can confirm it is unaltered.

If a company is particularly concerned about features, NVDA has a secure mode which disables some features such as logging and so on.

If they still have any questions, they are most welcome to contact us at info@....

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 7:59 AM Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...> wrote:

I think thats why they ask me to come again with my laptop and Braille display, to check that.

If i’ll not work on my laptop, i’ll work on there.
They are very willing to help.
Do i need to install the Braille display driver, or its automatic? 

Sent from my Iphone

On 18 Sep 2020, at 22:10, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

Well if nvda is ok, your laptop could be the best but companies don't necessarily like you working off of a non company laptop which is not propperly handled.

On 18/09/2020 9:32 pm, Afik Souffir wrote:

The customer service manager read about NVDA and said she thinks that’s ok.

As far as I know, there IT department did a security check on the NVDA install file.

But, they said they need to check my laptop and NVDA and decide if I'll work on my laptop or there computer.

Afik.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 12:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and secuirity info

Well, as far as I understand, if their it allows you to securely login to their system, all they need is install your display drivers, nvda and addons you need on the system and thats it in admin mode.

If your laptop, they may just give you remote access but you will still need nvda installed on that system.

That is assuming they don't then say nvda is not secure because it is opensource and then ask you to jaws.

On 18/09/2020 8:38 pm, Afik Souffir wrote:

Hi,

Recently I found myself on many interviews for jobs. One of the questions I have to answer is: NVDA can work on secure system?

Such, organazations, companies, and such?

I read that the answer is yes, but I would like a clear answer here.

One of the companies ask me to go to them again, with my braille display and laptop, so they can check if NVDA is secure, and how I will work, with my laptop or on there.

Thanks for any answer.

Afik.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Well if its on their system, nvda will have to be installed with admin
permitions, but after that you can modify it and install addons, etc
as you would usually do since its in your user folder.
Now, as for the drivers, any drivers etc for your display will need to
be installed in your account with admin permitions to.
Any big updates to nvda etc will need admin permitions but if they are
willing then you won't have a problem.

On 19/09/2020, Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...> wrote:

I think thats why they ask me to come again with my laptop and Braille
display, to check that.

Sent from my Iphone

On 18 Sep 2020, at 22:10, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:

Well if nvda is ok, your laptop could be the best but companies don't
necessarily like you working off of a non company laptop which is not
propperly handled.

As far as I know, there IT department did a security check on the NVDA
install file.
But, they said they need to check my laptop and NVDA and decide if I'll work
on my laptop or there computer.

Afik.

<nvda@nvda.groups.io><mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun
Everiss
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Well, as far as I understand, if their it allows you to securely login to
their system, all they need is install your display drivers, nvda and addons
you need on the system and thats it in admin mode.

If your laptop, they may just give you remote access but you will still need
nvda installed on that system.

That is assuming they don't then say nvda is not secure because it is
opensource and then ask you to jaws.

Hi,

Recently I found myself on many interviews for jobs. One of the questions I
have to answer is: NVDA can work on secure system?

One of the companies ask me to go to them again, with my braille display and
laptop, so they can check if NVDA is secure, and how I will work, with my
laptop or on there.

Thanks for any answer.

Afik.

Afik Souffir

I think thats why they ask me to come again with my laptop and Braille display, to check that.

Sent from my Iphone

On 18 Sep 2020, at 22:10, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

Well if nvda is ok, your laptop could be the best but companies don't necessarily like you working off of a non company laptop which is not propperly handled.

As far as I know, there IT department did a security check on the NVDA install file.

But, they said they need to check my laptop and NVDA and decide if I'll work on my laptop or there computer.

Afik.

Well, as far as I understand, if their it allows you to securely login to their system, all they need is install your display drivers, nvda and addons you need on the system and thats it in admin mode.

If your laptop, they may just give you remote access but you will still need nvda installed on that system.

That is assuming they don't then say nvda is not secure because it is opensource and then ask you to jaws.

Hi,

Recently I found myself on many interviews for jobs. One of the questions I have to answer is: NVDA can work on secure system?

One of the companies ask me to go to them again, with my braille display and laptop, so they can check if NVDA is secure, and how I will work, with my laptop or on there.

Thanks for any answer.

Afik.

Afik.

Hi,

Thanks for any answer.

Afik.

Afik Souffir

Afik.

Hi,

Thanks for any answer.

Afik.

Afik Souffir

Hi Bianka,

I'll need to be a customer service rep.

This specific company doesn't know screen reader at all, even whats braille display is.

So they ask me to come again after the holidays for security checks on my NVDA and they'll decide if I'll will work on my computer on there.

Do I have to install my Braille display driver? It's HIMS QBraille xl.

Afik.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bianka Brankovic
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 11:51 AM

Hello Afik,

I have been using NVDA for years now as my primary screenreader at work. The question is, what do the companies require exactly?

My computer at work is administered by the IT and I do not have admin privileges of any kind.

I never had issues with our security or antivirus systems while using NVDA.

As far as the legalities, this is certainly a question vor NVAccess. But I do know quite a few blind sysadmins who work with NVDA as well. From a practical perspective, there are no security concerns. However, the company has to be able and willing to allow open source software in their systems.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Hi,

Thanks for any answer.

Afik.

Bianka Brankovic <bianka.brankovic@...>

Hello Afik,

I have been using NVDA for years now as my primary screenreader at work. The question is, what do the companies require exactly?

My computer at work is administered by the IT and I do not have admin privileges of any kind.

I never had issues with our security or antivirus systems while using NVDA.

As far as the legalities, this is certainly a question vor NVAccess. But I do know quite a few blind sysadmins who work with NVDA as well. From a practical perspective, there are no security concerns. However, the company has to be able and willing to allow open source software in their systems.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Afik Souffir

Hi,

Thanks for any answer.

Afik.