Topics

How has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic

molly the blind tech lover

I love the screen curtain too 😀

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Cussick via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 3:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic

on the back of this, I have used this screen reader since 2006 it was
a bit rough then but I stuck with it. I have used it for shopping zoom
and email at night I like the screen curtain feature and like the fact I use Rh voice on windows and android because of Scottish Alan anyway just thought I might chine in.

On 22/09/2020 23:00, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, David,

NVDA has been my full-time screen reader now since2011. Last year I
did have a 90-dollar subscription for the jaws home license but
decided not to renew it. I watch movies on youtube, listen to music,
shop for books online and email. I'd also like to thank the NV Access
team for all the fine work they do to make NVDA the great screen
reader that it is. It keeps getting better all the time.

Rosemarie

On 9/22/2020 2:54 PM, David Moore wrote:

Like hope says below, I use nvda every day! I have used it 80% of the
time I am on the computer doing many tasks like browsing the internet
for information, using the Microsoft news app in Windows 10, watching
movies, listening to news, and on and on . Nvda is my full time
screen reader now. For the first time in years, I did not renew my
software maintenance agreement for Jaws. Nvda allows me to access the
latest news easily on browsers like brave, Microsoft edge, chrome,
water fox, and many more. Take care guys, and thank you for all you
do to give us a great screen reader that people all over the world can use for free!

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020, 9:15 PM Hope Williamson <webspinner@...
<mailto:webspinner@...>> wrote:

I'm not sure how to answer this question. I've used NVDA full time
since
2016, therefore it continues to benefit me daily.

Kevin Cussick

on the back of this, I have used this screen reader since 2006 it was a bit rough then but I stuck with it. I have used it for shopping zoom and email at night I like the screen curtain feature and like the fact I use Rh voice on windows and android because of Scottish Alan anyway just thought I might chine in.

On 22/09/2020 23:00, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, David,
NVDA has been my full-time screen reader now since2011. Last year I did have a 90-dollar subscription for the jaws home license but decided not to renew it. I watch movies on youtube, listen to music, shop for books online and email. I'd also like to thank the NV Access team for all the fine work they do to make NVDA the great screen reader that it is. It keeps getting better all the time.
Rosemarie

Like hope says below, I use nvda every day! I have used it 80% of the time I am on the computer doing many tasks like browsing the internet for information, using the Microsoft news app in Windows 10, watching movies, listening to news, and on and on . Nvda is my full time screen reader now. For the first time in years, I did not renew my software maintenance agreement for Jaws. Nvda allows me to access the latest news easily on browsers like brave, Microsoft edge, chrome, water fox, and many more. Take care guys, and thank you for all you do to give us a great screen reader that people all over the world can use for free!

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020, 9:15 PM Hope Williamson <webspinner@... <mailto:webspinner@...>> wrote:

I'm not sure how to answer this question. I've used NVDA full time
since

Ibrahim Abedrabbo

NVDA is the only screen reader I have on my laptop. In fact, I have not used any other screen reader since 2012. Pandemic or not, without NVDA I have no access to my computer. I appreciate the work of the NVDA developers and their philosophy of making screen access available to all blind and visually impaired people worldwide. For this reason, I made it a habit for the last several years to give a donation to NVDA each December as a humble contribution to its continued development.

Regards,

Ibrahim

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 11:50 PM
Subject: [nvda] How has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic

Hi everyone,

As this turbulent year continues, we want to hear your good news.  Please reply (or email info@...), and tell us, how has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

rowen brian <manchen0528@...>

NVDA allows me to interact with computers, write emails, read books and program.
During the popularity of Covid-19, it saved me more time.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Luke.  It may be sooner rather than later.  Keep in touch eh?  Cheers!

On 23/9/2020 3:22 am, Luke Robinett wrote:
Hi Jaffar,
Sounds like we share some common interests. I’m into coding and music production and use many of the same apps you mentioned, including reaper and VS code. Let me know if you want to collaborate sometime, be it musical or technical.

On Sep 21, 2020, at 4:07 PM, Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin.  The main factor which influences  me to choose  NVDA is that it doesn't take as much computer resources as Jaws does. This enables me to use NVDA more for intensive computer work like Music production and Games development with the Reaper DAW and IDES like Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code, and especially with Android Studio.  Thanks to the NVDA team for all your hard work and dedication in constantly improving NVDA, and all the benifit of the Blind community.  Cheers!

on 22/9/2020 6:53 am, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

Quentin,

I use NVDA for all my work. It is a great program and I prefer it to JAWS. I was with JAWS all the way sonce DOS days but NVDA seems so much lighter and adaptable.

Weel doen team!

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 4:50 AM

Hi everyone,

As this turbulent year continues, we want to hear your good news.  Please reply (or email info@...), and tell us, how has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Luke.  I couldn't agree more.  Labor is very seldom free.  But when free and sincere labor comes along, we should support and appreciate it.  Cheers!

On 23/9/2020 3:15 am, Luke Robinett wrote:
I know sometimes we users complain, whether here or on github, about bugs, unresolved issues and things that are just a part of any application, but this is a great opportunity to make sure the NVDA team understands just how much we appreciate the hard work they do. in October 2019 I began a six month intensive full stack web development Boot Camp through the University Of Oregon. Like many things I do, I was the first blind student to enroll in the program so there were lots of unknowns, but everybody was really supportive and excited to have me on board. Fast forward to March. With one month left in the class, the lock down orders happened and we were forced to finish the last month of class virtually. Thanks to NVDA, I was always able to keep up with the rest of the class using my laptop, whether we were in person together or learning remotely via zoom. Frankly I don’t know what I’d do without NVDA. I’ve tried JAWS and narrator and they all come up short when compared to what I considered the gold standard. I donate to the project on a recurring monthly basis and just want to say a huge thank you for enabling those of us who are blind to continue being successful professionally, academically and personally.

Louise Pfau

Hi.  Many of the games I play have native support for NVDA speech output.  I've been playing a lot of games during this period of isolation.  I find that NVDA seems to work better with Microsoft Edge, so I also listen to a lot of YouTube videos.

Thanks,

Louise

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hello friends!
I have been using NVDA for over 7 years now.
This is a great screen reader that gets better and better every year!
For my tasks, there is absolutely no need to use third-party screen readers - NVDA does an excellent job!
I read a lot, browse websites, study English and periodically take various online courses - always NVDA is my main and favorit assistant!
I also really love that my favorite programming language, Python, was used in the development of NVDA!
Now I`m working on my first add-on for NVDA, I want to make my modest contribution to the development of this wonderful program.
I am very glad that this program has such a large community - so many people who speak different languages ​​and live in different parts of our planet!
Many thanks to the authors for an excellent and very useful product!
I wish all members of this group good luck and good health!
Oleksandr, Ukraine

David Moore

I use the Windows 10 mail app a lot as well! Nvda works best with that app, even better than narrator. Have a great day!

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020, 9:40 PM Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@...> wrote:
Overall Windows10 Mail app.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE (2nd Generation) de Telcel

El 21 sep 2020, a la(s) 6:40 p.m., Sky Mundell <skyt@...> escribió:

Hello. As a user of both JFW and NVDA, I’m use NVDA in my tech job and it has served me very well. Just wondering, what areas don’t work on windows 10 with JFW? Perhaps I could try them and see if it runs on my machine?

On Sep 21, 2020, at 4:10 PM, Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@...> wrote:

Having had the opportunity to try the competition (the shark during the pademic), one really values how far NVDA has come! Always evolving; lot less light on my Laptop than the competition. All functions are available, independently of in Spanish, or english, via the AddOns, and those functions that are in NVDA’s core, which the Shark isn’t able to accomplish.
Someone who uses windows10 with the Shark, would get the false idea that windows10 is inaccessible; whereas with NVDA, one gets a totally different picture of the true accessibility of windows10, of course, in conjunction with NVDA’s Windows10 Essentials, and other AddOns that make Windows10 a joy to use!
thanks to the Zoom Enhancement AddOn, goldWave AddOn, and others, I feel as if I were using e computer at the same level as the sighted.
Keep up the great work! though I am unable at this time to donate monitarily, but by spreading the word among the Latinamerican NVDA comunity via Whatsapp, Facebook, Email and other social media, I feel I’m putting my grain of sand in making more and more people aware of what they’re losing out by not giving NVDA a chance.

Gera

El 21 sep 2020, a la(s) 4:24 p.m., Monte Single <mrsingle@...> escribió:

Hi List,

As always, nvda is my screen reader of choice.
I encourage others to add nvda to their toolkit.
Features are being added to nvda faster than I learn and use them.
I support the project  by purchasing  manuals and making donations.

Thanks,

Monte
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: September 21, 2020 1:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic

I am so grateful for NVDA.
Words can not express my gratitude.
Thank you for all that you do.
During this pandemic NVDA is helping me use webex to attend classes and helping me complete assignments.

It is also helping me stay in contact with friends and family.

If it were not for NVDA I would not be able to attend school right now.
Again, thank you so much.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 11:50 PM
Subject: [nvda] How has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic

Hi everyone,

As this turbulent year continues, we want to hear your good news.  Please reply (or email info@...), and tell us, how has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic?

Kind regards

Quentin.

-- 
Quentin Christensen

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, David,

NVDA has been my full-time screen reader now since2011. Last year I did have a 90-dollar subscription for the jaws home license but decided not to renew it. I watch movies on youtube, listen to music, shop for books online and email. I'd also like to thank the NV Access team for all the fine work they do to make NVDA the great screen reader that it is. It keeps getting better all the time.

Rosemarie

Like hope says below, I use nvda every day! I have used it 80% of the time I am on the computer doing many tasks like browsing the internet for information, using the Microsoft news app in Windows 10, watching movies, listening to news, and on and on . Nvda is my full time screen reader now. For the first time in years, I did not renew my software maintenance agreement for Jaws. Nvda allows me to access the latest news easily on browsers like brave, Microsoft edge, chrome, water fox, and many more. Take care guys, and thank you for all you do to give us a great screen reader that people all over the world can use for free!

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020, 9:15 PM Hope Williamson <webspinner@...> wrote:
I'm not sure how to answer this question. I've used NVDA full time since

David Moore

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020, 9:15 PM Hope Williamson <webspinner@...> wrote:

Leslie

Darn, I don’t know your name.  That sounds like a good idea.  Find my email link here and write me privately and we can talk more about Zoom.  Thanks.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 12:18 PM

Hey Leslie,

We switched to Microsoft teams at work at the start of this year so, through a combination of memorizing hot keys and a whole lot of trial and error I have figured out how to be pretty productive in it. Let me know if you’d like to chat and exchange best practices sometime.

On Sep 21, 2020, at 12:39 PM, Leslie <soundsofmusic@...> wrote:

I’ve said before how NVDA. Is the best screen reader I know.  During this pandemic I can go to tech classes using it.  I’m learning how to use Zoom and Teams.  Sometimes I run into glitches, but I don’t think this is due to NVDA.  I’m trying to learn how to get around those glitches so I can use these programs more smoothly.  The 1 core voices are fantastic.  Some people perefer eloquence, but I get retired of its inflection.

Luke Robinett

Hi Jaffar,
Sounds like we share some common interests. I’m into coding and music production and use many of the same apps you mentioned, including reaper and VS code. Let me know if you want to collaborate sometime, be it musical or technical.

On Sep 21, 2020, at 4:07 PM, Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin.  The main factor which influences  me to choose  NVDA is that it doesn't take as much computer resources as Jaws does. This enables me to use NVDA more for intensive computer work like Music production and Games development with the Reaper DAW and IDES like Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code, and especially with Android Studio.  Thanks to the NVDA team for all your hard work and dedication in constantly improving NVDA, and all the benifit of the Blind community.  Cheers!

on 22/9/2020 6:53 am, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

Quentin,

I use NVDA for all my work. It is a great program and I prefer it to JAWS. I was with JAWS all the way sonce DOS days but NVDA seems so much lighter and adaptable.

Weel doen team!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 4:50 AM

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Luke Robinett

Hey Leslie,
We switched to Microsoft teams at work at the start of this year so, through a combination of memorizing hot keys and a whole lot of trial and error I have figured out how to be pretty productive in it. Let me know if you’d like to chat and exchange best practices sometime.

On Sep 21, 2020, at 12:39 PM, Leslie <soundsofmusic@...> wrote:

I’ve said before how NVDA. Is the best screen reader I know.  During this pandemic I can go to tech classes using it.  I’m learning how to use Zoom and Teams.  Sometimes I run into glitches, but I don’t think this is due to NVDA.  I’m trying to learn how to get around those glitches so I can use these programs more smoothly.  The 1 core voices are fantastic.  Some people perefer eloquence, but I get retired of its inflection.

Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 7:31 AM

NVDA benefits me even when there is not a pandemic more than I know how to express in words. during the pandemic, however, it has worked well with Zoom since I have been attending many Zoom meetings. I do not know how to thank those who give many hours of their time to keep on working on NVDA to make it the best that it can be.

Thank you so very much.

On 9/20/2020 11:50 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

-- 
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Luke Robinett

You know, I think Kelly Clarkson said it best in one of her hit songs: my life would suck without you :)

On Sep 20, 2020, at 8:50 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

Luke Robinett

I know sometimes we users complain, whether here or on github, about bugs, unresolved issues and things that are just a part of any application, but this is a great opportunity to make sure the NVDA team understands just how much we appreciate the hard work they do. in October 2019 I began a six month intensive full stack web development Boot Camp through the University Of Oregon. Like many things I do, I was the first blind student to enroll in the program so there were lots of unknowns, but everybody was really supportive and excited to have me on board. Fast forward to March. With one month left in the class, the lock down orders happened and we were forced to finish the last month of class virtually. Thanks to NVDA, I was always able to keep up with the rest of the class using my laptop, whether we were in person together or learning remotely via zoom. Frankly I don’t know what I’d do without NVDA. I’ve tried JAWS and narrator and they all come up short when compared to what I considered the gold standard. I donate to the project on a recurring monthly basis and just want to say a huge thank you for enabling those of us who are blind to continue being successful professionally, academically and personally.

lauracornwell

Hey there, first I have been a NVDA  user since 2010 now how it has helped me  through  this time is I am able to put radio shows together  , I am also able to keep up with what is going on from around the world through many different   websites. And as of this righting I am working on getting back into testing    more websites. Keep up the great work. From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 2:37 PM

During this pandemic NVDA is helping me use WebEx to attend classes and helping me complete assignments.

Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 11:50 PM

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Quentin,

Apologies for not spell-checking my last response!

I really appreciate the value of NVDA. As I said, I use it as my principle screen reader for every action including emails, web searches and resolving accounting problems using Microsoft Excel.

I have started following a Python course during the lock-down. With some help, I found a course called Think Python very accessible and well-written. I tried the online console service Python Anywhere and found it  to be very accessible for direct command line issues. But its online editor was unusable with NVDA and so I had to abandoned it altogether. I found that I could run Python commands from the Windows console in Windows 10 and that works very well with NVDA.

I would like to thank  the team for all their work on this great screen reader.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Gerardo Corripio

Overall Windows10 Mail app.

Gera

El 21 sep 2020, a la(s) 6:40 p.m., Sky Mundell <skyt@...> escribió:

Hello. As a user of both JFW and NVDA, I’m use NVDA in my tech job and it has served me very well. Just wondering, what areas don’t work on windows 10 with JFW? Perhaps I could try them and see if it runs on my machine?

On Sep 21, 2020, at 4:10 PM, Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@...> wrote:

Having had the opportunity to try the competition (the shark during the pademic), one really values how far NVDA has come! Always evolving; lot less light on my Laptop than the competition. All functions are available, independently of in Spanish, or english, via the AddOns, and those functions that are in NVDA’s core, which the Shark isn’t able to accomplish.
Someone who uses windows10 with the Shark, would get the false idea that windows10 is inaccessible; whereas with NVDA, one gets a totally different picture of the true accessibility of windows10, of course, in conjunction with NVDA’s Windows10 Essentials, and other AddOns that make Windows10 a joy to use!
thanks to the Zoom Enhancement AddOn, goldWave AddOn, and others, I feel as if I were using e computer at the same level as the sighted.
Keep up the great work! though I am unable at this time to donate monitarily, but by spreading the word among the Latinamerican NVDA comunity via Whatsapp, Facebook, Email and other social media, I feel I’m putting my grain of sand in making more and more people aware of what they’re losing out by not giving NVDA a chance.

Gera

El 21 sep 2020, a la(s) 4:24 p.m., Monte Single <mrsingle@...> escribió:

Hi List,

As always, nvda is my screen reader of choice.
I encourage others to add nvda to their toolkit.
Features are being added to nvda faster than I learn and use them.
I support the project  by purchasing  manuals and making donations.

Thanks,

Monte
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: September 21, 2020 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] How has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic

During this pandemic NVDA is helping me use webex to attend classes and helping me complete assignments.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 11:50 PM
Subject: [nvda] How has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic

Hi everyone,

As this turbulent year continues, we want to hear your good news.  Please reply (or email info@...), and tell us, how has NVDA benefitted you during the pandemic?

Kind regards

Quentin.

-- 
Quentin Christensen

Hope Williamson