Topics

Fluent Reader: a feature-rich and accessible Windows RSS reader

Akash Kakkar

Hey Amir,

Thanks bro,

I'll try both of the apps this weekend.

On 9/25/2020 1:15 AM, Amir wrote:
Greetings. Like Fluent Reader, Raven Reader is an Electron app. As such, it's also quite accessible -- even a bit more than Fluent Reader I'd say. It's also a good podcast player and can play podcast-oriented items as we open them. Its website is https://ravenreader.app
I've also opened a few issues for Raven Reader on its Github page -- please take a look: https://github.com/hello-efficiency-inc/raven-reader

Best,
Amir

David Griffith

I don’t know what I am doing wrong but all I seem to be able to do is get up a list of my feeds with no way to access the Feed articles with this app.

Pressing enter or space on the feed  does not deliver any results nor does pressing the tab key. Using the arrow keys simply allow me to review the list of the feeds. Pressing F6 does not deliver  and whilst the menus are accessible they do not appear to allow me to do anything beyond things like setting full screen view.

I have tried object screen and document review but again no joy. Does anybody know how you actually read anything with this  app?

David G.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Amir

Greetings. Like Fluent Reader, Raven Reader is an Electron app. As such, it's also quite accessible -- even a bit more than Fluent Reader I'd say. It's also a good podcast player and can play podcast-oriented items as we open them. Its website is https://ravenreader.app
I've also opened a few issues for Raven Reader on its Github page -- please take a look: https://github.com/hello-efficiency-inc/raven-reader

Best,
Amir

Akash Kakkar

Raven-Reader?

How's the accessibility status?

On 9/24/2020 2:18 AM, Amir wrote:
<LOL>! On the contrary, I think you are too modernistic to accept clients for RSS -- or perhaps email. But personally speaking, I find the web interface for access to RSS feeds quite time-consuming and rather disconcerting, and I can say the same thing about Gmail's web interface when it comes to email. Now as far as RSS is concerned, getting Miniflux, for instance, to display the full content of an article is more time-consuming than doing it in Fluent Reader or Raven-Reader -- another RSS client I'm testing. With that said, I do understand people have different tastes or needs.

Akash Kakkar

Ya, Thunderbird's RSS feature is quite lame.

I've used it in the past but didn't like it at all. quite buggy and feature less.

On 9/23/2020 6:13 PM, rowen brian wrote:
Hi, Akash,
In fact, Thunderbird also has rss subscription function.

Hope Williamson

Oh, I just open 5000 windows every time. Lol it's really not that many,
it's probably only around 30. Therefore I really don't need it to give
me the full article, because I'd be opening the window. I do this
regardless of what reader I'm using.

Amir

<LOL>! On the contrary, I think you are too modernistic to accept clients for RSS -- or perhaps email. But personally speaking, I find the web interface for access to RSS feeds quite time-consuming and rather disconcerting, and I can say the same thing about Gmail's web interface when it comes to email. Now as far as RSS is concerned, getting Miniflux, for instance, to display the full content of an article is more time-consuming than doing it in Fluent Reader or Raven-Reader -- another RSS client I'm testing. With that said, I do understand people have different tastes or needs.

Hope Williamson

It will probably take a century to get me to use a client-based RSS
reader. I definitely won't be around that long. It's one of the things
that a client really isn't necessary for. Then again I'm probably
old-fashioned, or maybe not.

rowen brian <manchen0528@...>

Hi, Akash,
In fact, Thunderbird also has rss subscription function.

Amir

You're most welcome, Akash. Given your coding prowess, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at the lack of displayed text issue for its subscribed feeds at the bottom of the page which appear in the form of buttons.

Best,
Amir

Akash Kakkar

Hey Amir,

Amazing, gonna give it a try.

On 9/23/2020 2:43 AM, Amir wrote:
Folks, my quest to find an accessible windows RSS reader, something which supports both local refreshes and online RSS services, finally led to Fluent Reader. In short, this Electron-based app is a versatile, full-text RSS reader which is both more accessible than the online services we discussed here a while ago and is quite easy to master once we spend a few minutes with it. The app supports auto-refreshes at least on a 5-minute basis, and we can increase the value which is set to "Never" by default. It can be found at https://www.electronjs.org/apps/fluent-reader

Also its Github page is here: https://github.com/yang991178/fluent-reader

Of course, it has a couple of glitches and I have tried to summarize them via this issue: https://github.com/yang991178/fluent-reader/issues/103

I'd appreciate it if you could also contribute in order to help take care of them sooner.

Hope you find this of use.

Best,

Amir

Amir

I just took another look but it seems that nothing in this regard has changed. The most pressing issue is that the Reed Feeds add-on doesn't support automatic refreshing which is an absolute must for me given my 100 plus feeds. It also lacks many standard features found in conventional feed readers. This is not intended to denigrate the add-on, but it can't replace full-fledged readers.

Best,
Amir

Luke Davis

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020, Amir wrote:

Sure, I did it a while ago, but compared with full-fledged RSS readers it suffered from so many shortcomings that I removed it after a short while.
It may or may not still, but I know that Noelia has recently made some major updates to it. You might try one of the dev versions and see if it has improved.

Luke

Amir

Sure, I did it a while ago, but compared with full-fledged RSS readers it suffered from so many shortcomings that I removed it after a short while.
BTW in my previous message I forgot to add that I'd be happy to prepare a short guide for Fluent Reader if people are interested in that. For the time being, suffice it to say that your subscriptions appear at the bottom of the first page of the app. Once you press Enter on each subscription, the headings above it get populated with articles from that feed. And once you press on each heading, the text inside the only frame on the page gets populated with the text of your article. Of course, it's not the full page. Above that frame you can interact with a few buttons/links to display the full text, show the original article, mark it as read, etc.
The only nagging issue is that NVDA, and JAWS, detect our feeds as buttons and don't read their names automatically as we move to them via Up/Down arrows. Pressing Insert+Up or Insert+Tab, or oftentimes using B and SHIFT+B, helps, but IMHO this is something the developer can improve upon.

Best,
Amir

Luke Davis

As an aside here, I assume you have looked into the Read Feeds NVDA add-on?

Amir