New Blog Post: The GitHub Games Pt. 2 – Filing Your First Ticket

Bhavya shah

Dear all,
“As a user of an open source software such as NVDA, you have the
influence to transmit your voice directly to the forces coding that
software, by notifying them of critical bugs that you have
independently identified, by proposing new functionality that truly
takes NVDA to the next level, or simply by reducing the traffic
through which developers have to rummage by testing, replicating and
triaging issues filed by other users.”
The first step in learning to exercise that influence is what you must
take today. You can join the bandwagon by touring the bug tracking and
issue reporting features of GitHub along with me and learning to
report your first issue on the #NVDASR GitHub tracker. Check out the
latest Hiking Across Horizons blog post titled “The GitHub Games Pt. 2
– Filing Your First Ticket”.
Post URL: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/2017/12/21/the-github-games-pt-2-filing-your-first-ticket/
Blog Address: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/
Comments, feedback and suggestions are always welcome. :)
Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Adriani Botez

Please try to be as sure as possible that a bug is related to NVDA or that your idea improves NVDA‘s screen reading function before posting an issue on github. It is very important because otherwise you will cause tests where no tests are needed. So please discuss your issues and ideas first on this maillist and in your language community to ensure that you are not the only one encountering the issue.

Discussions like about screen shading and so on should take place here first and after that such ideas can be posted on github.

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 21.12.2017 um 14:42 schrieb Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@gmail.com>:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I do feel a lot of this should be on a site inside nvaccess though, personally.
One of the problems here is that often things get mentioned but nobody decides who is going to actually report it on github.
I had perhaps hoped the dev list might fulfill this function as a kind of triage area where devs look and thus can stop duplicates and send people onto github after that.
One of the big issues with github is its attempt to be all things to all people and ending up a bit of a mess, quite frankly if all you want to do is report a problem.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Hi all,
I agree with Adriani. It is often helpful to discuss a feature request
as well as report a bug on your respective language community e-groups
or on this NVDA Users International e-mail list. This aids in better
understanding the scope and relevance of an issue, which, in turn,
leads to a clearer and more specific ticket on GitHub. As the end
user, we should strive to minimize the time developers need to spend
testing or triaging issues.
As Brian suggested, I would be happy to lend my post series The GitHub
Games to be republished on the NVDA Wiki with source credit. Since
Quentin is on vacation presently, feel free to raise this to him
directly in case you would like The GitHub Games to be part of the
NVDA Wiki when Quentin is back.
GitHub can be slightly challenging initially, but once you get the
hang of it, it is fairly easy to work solely with its issue tracking
features without bothering with pull requests and code other
developer-oriented tools. Do let me know in case there are any other
specifics of GitHub that you would like me to cover in a future blog
post in this series.
One thing to look forward to in 2018, is that by next year, NV Access
will most likely have hired the quality assurance engineer they were
looking for a month or two ago this year. This means exactly what you
you, Brian, have been asking for and many others have also been
desiring.
Nevertheless, I would strongly encourage people to start trying GitHub
and NVDA’s issue tracker out, if you wish to convert your enthusiasm
towards this project into decently substantial contributions. Do refer
to The GitHub Games series along the way, and do not hesitate to ping
me in case you have specific questions.
Thanks.

[...]

I do feel that in the reporting of bugs in github some different parameters need to be set up.
1. Everyone who has an account should be automatically sent the emails that the web site creates of your issue. At the moment it seems this is not the case, indeed the inverse is true, you get all the posts except your own
2. The in field helpful suggestions about the info needed should be replaced by discreet fields for these items with explanatory text. This stops you overwriting the help text and getting confused about where to put the edits.
3.
A much simpler issue tracker front end should be used. Its fine saying ignore all the stuff aimed at the programmer but its very cluttered for anyone starting out and often if they cannot find what they wont in a couple of minutes they say f*** this, and post it either on the dev list or here where it normally languishes and is not noticed.

Of course the way the github system is designed might be so inflexible that the above cannot be done, I have no idea.
All I do know is that the Trac system was far more intuitive to report things or suggest things to.

Part of the strength of NVDA is its direct connection to the user community, and that to my mind has seemingly been lost in the last few years with experienced people posting the info on github.
Programmers and those who work with computers a lot are thus over represented in my opinion.