Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM
Subject: [nvda] Nvda sleep. Mode

Hello.
I have a question
I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,
But when i press it nothing happens,
So how do i put nvda to sleep?
Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

Hello
Pressing nvda +shift +s, nvda says selected and does not goes to sleep,
I am using a laptop by the way,
Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

On 23 Dec 2017, at 01.27, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

What guide are you referring to?  Do you mean the guide you purchase?  If so, and if you are reporting the command as it exists accurately in the guide, that is the second incorrect command I've seen discussed in the paid for guide in about the last six months.  I'm not sure what the other one was but it wasn't discussed here.  The correct command is NVDA key shift s.

I seem to recall that the other incorrect command had to do with a screen review or object navigation command.

Even if people know the correct command, it is important to report incorrect commands in instructional material NVDA creates or links to.

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Hello.
I have a question
I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,
But when i press it nothing happens,
So how do i put nvda to sleep?
Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

Gene

Are you using an external keyboard?

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Hello.
I have a question
I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,
But when i press it nothing happens,
So how do i put nvda to sleep?
Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

No i'm using the laptop keyboard

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Hello.
I have a question
I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,
But when i press it nothing happens,
So how do i put nvda to sleep?
Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

Gene

I thought the command was the same for the desktop and laptop layout.  It isn't.  For the laptop layout, it is NVDA shift z.  for the desktop layout, its NVDA key shift s.  Sorry about the confusion.  If you have NVDA set to the laptop layout, and are using NVDA key shift z and the command isn't working, I don't know why.

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Hello.
I have a question
I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,
But when i press it nothing happens,
So how do i put nvda to sleep?
Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

Don H

On my windows 10 system running NVDA 2017-4 insert s toggles between speech mode talk, speech mode off and speech mode beep. No shift key is required. However if set to speech mode beep it is still silent.

Gene

When set to beeps, you should hear very soft, high frequency beeps.  I doubt that there is silence.  I don't know how good your hearing is, how good your speakers are and how noisy the environment is where you are listening.

The only reason I can think of for this feature to be available is if someone wants to verify that NVDA is running or not when speech isn't available.  If so, this option shouldn't be in the speech on and off settings.  There should be a different command to toggle this mode off and on.

On my windows 10 system running NVDA 2017-4 insert s toggles between
speech mode talk, speech mode off and speech mode beep.  No shift key is
required.  However if set to speech mode beep it is still silent.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

When you set it to beeps when you press the windows key then arrow around you hear the beeps. it is a mode so sighted people do not hear what is spoken from what i heard..

The subject says sleep mode but you are talking abiyt another part of nvda.

if you want sleep mode is is the nvda key + shift key + the letter S to turn it on and off.

Gene nz

On 12/23/2017 9:51 AM, Don H wrote:
On my windows 10 system running NVDA 2017-4 insert s toggles between speech mode talk, speech mode off and speech mode beep.  No shift key is required.  However if set to speech mode beep it is still silent.

Don H

OK you are correct. My hearing isn't what it used to be. The click is so low I really have to listen hard to hear it.

On 12/22/2017 3:00 PM, Gene wrote:
When set to beeps, you should hear very soft, high frequency beeps.  I doubt that there is silence.  I don't know how good your hearing is, how good your speakers are and how noisy the environment is where you are listening.
The only reason I can think of for this feature to be available is if someone wants to verify that NVDA is running or not when speech isn't available.  If so, this option shouldn't be in the speech on and off settings.  There should be a different command to toggle this mode off and on.
On my windows 10 system running NVDA 2017-4 insert s toggles between
speech mode talk, speech mode off and speech mode beep.  No shift key is
required.  However if set to speech mode beep it is still silent.

Interesting,

It's. Ok though

On 23 Dec 2017, at 03.51, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:

On my windows 10 system running NVDA 2017-4 insert s toggles between speech mode talk, speech mode off and speech mode beep.  No shift key is required.  However if set to speech mode beep it is still silent.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Its nvda plus shift plus s actually.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,
But when i press it nothing happens,
So how do i put nvda to sleep?
Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;
http://tip.simpl.com/

Chris Mullins

NvDA+Shift+s toggles sleep mode with Desktop keyboard layout and

NVDA+Shift+z toggles sleep mode with laptop keyboard layout.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Hello.

I have a question

I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,

But when i press it nothing happens,

So how do i put nvda to sleep?

Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

Hi there,
I tried pressing nvda shift z but nothing happens,
I even tried it input help on but pressing those key combination did nothing,
So i uninstalled and re-installed nvda just to see if there would be any difference, but the results were the same,
Really frustrating, i really do not know where i am going wrong,
*sigh*

Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (cjmullins29@...) Add cleanup rule | More info

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Hello.

I have a question

I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,

But when i press it nothing happens,

So how do i put nvda to sleep?

Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

Chris Mullins

Hi

You definitely have your keyboard layout set to “laptop”?

Cheers

Chris

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Hello.

I have a question

I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,

But when i press it nothing happens,

So how do i put nvda to sleep?

Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

Yes i checked it again.
It's a 100% keyboard layout

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Hello.

I have a question

I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,

But when i press it nothing happens,

So how do i put nvda to sleep?

Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

Yes it's a 100% laptop keyboard layout

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

Hello.

I have a question

I read in the nvda guide that pressing nvda + shift + z will put nvda to sleep,

But when i press it nothing happens,

So how do i put nvda to sleep?

Thanks

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

Quentin Christensen

I was going to check whether you were using INSERT or CAPS LOCK as your NVDA modifier key - if you can get in and out of input help mode etc, then I assume you know what your NVDA key is though so that's probably not it.  I've seen keyboards which didn't work with four key keystrokes, but there are enough three key keystrokes even in the sighted world that I would be (ok only a little) surprised if there were many keyboards which couldn't handle three key keystrokes.

Could it be something with needing the Fn key maybe for your NVDA modifier key perhaps, in which case it could potentially be the four key limitation.

Otherwise, the other thing that crops up from time to time is that Windows thinks you have a modifier key held down even when you don't.  In that case it usually manifests it in other ways (as if every single key you press also had CONTROL held down for instance) and the usual fix I use is to mash the modifier keys a few times to "unstick" it.

After that, I'm running out of ideas.

Image removed by sender. BoxbeImage removed by sender.This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (cjmullins29@...) Add cleanup rule | More info

Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:14 PM

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

The other thing I was going to add to the thread through, was the difference between sleep mode and speech mode.

Sleep mode is toggled with either NVDA+shift+s or NVDA+shift+z as discussed already.  It stops anything from being passed to NVDA while in the current application.  If you alt+tab to something else, it will automatically start reading it (unless the other application is another window from this application).  It stays like that until you either press the keystroke again, or exit the application.

Speech mode doesn't change what happens, but rather whether you hear it or not.  If you turn speech mode to "off" and then press NVDA+f12, it will still report the time, it's just that you won't hear it - it will be in the speech viewer if you have that running, and it will display it on a connected Braille display.

If you are in speech mode: off, it's like you turned your speakers off but NVDA is still working and responding to input and commands.  If you are in sleep mode, it's like NVDA isn't running at all.