Topics

Pronunciation: Unwanted Dates

Jonathan,

Then try one of these for the replacement string, depending on how you want or don't want the leading zero on the track number announced

zero four Mary
oh four Mary
four Mary

Brian
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

Jonathan Milam

Did anyone get this to work?  I’m having the same exact issue, but when I pasted the suggested resolution into the fields, it still happens, even after restarting NVDA.

Thanks,

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2020 4:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Pronunciation: Unwanted Dates

Pele,

Presuming this does not need to be generic beyond a string that's 2 digits followed by a space followed by Mary, try the following.  If you find there are other cases where you're having a month announced when it shouldn't be then the regular expression would need to be tweaked to handle the alternatives.  I am giving the regular expression you need to use, and the replacement string, each on its own line after a label to indicate which is is which, before I give the step-by-step instructions for adding that exception to the NVDA Default Dictionary.

regex: (\d+)\s(Mary.*)

replacement: \1 \2

Adding a Regular Expression match to the Default Dictionary

1. Hit NVDA+N,P,D,D   NVDA Main Menu, Preferences, Speech dictionaries, Default Dictionary

2. Hit ALT+A to activate the Add Button or navigate to it and activate it.

3. In the dialog that appears, paste or enter a regular expression in the Pattern edit box.

4. Paste or enter the replacement you want to hear in the Replacement edit box.  If you're using a capturing regular expression this may be a sequence of backslashes followed by the numbers of the capture groups you're using.

5. The Comment edit box should either have a comment that helps you to remember the purpose of this dictionary entry, which is preferable, or be left blank.

6. Leave the Case Sensitive checkbox unchecked.

7. The Type radio button should be set to Regular Expression.

8. Activate the OK button

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

Mohamed

Edited

The legal status of ViaVoice is a bit unclear, at least on Windows. On Linux, it's still sold by Voxin, but I'm not aware of anyone still selling it for Windows. The last news I found concerning it was around 2011 or 2012, when Wizzard Software discontinued it. There are some not-trial versions floating around, i.e. they claim to be trials and seem to have trial watermarks in their installers, and claim you have 90 days to use them in their license agreements, but no actual demo limitations, but it's unclear where exactly they came from, and they're very difficult to find online today. Interestingly, the parser included with that version of ViaVoice still exists today in IBM Watson, they're not selling the same voice of course, but parser is still very much the same, you can verify this by trying out an online demo of Watson and sending it words or phrases that ViaVoice mispronounces, such as ribcage or on does.

On 9/27/2020 9:08 PM, Gene wrote:
What is awfully clicky?  I've tried the SAPI 5 version and the add-on version of Eloquence.  They aren't clicky.  I don't know when this was corrected, but for quite awhile, the add-on paid version of Eloquence had a lot of artifacts and I recommended against people using it.  But at some point, that was corrected.

As far as if you are discussing a free version of Eloquence, that version is illegal and can't be shared on the list.

Regarding Via Voice, that is an IBM product, or it was.  I don't know if IBM still owns it or sold it.  I don't know what its legal status is.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Hope Williamson
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2020 7:40 PM

It's an awfully clicky version of eloquence. Then again so is the paid
version. If you want me to link to it here, I will but I need express
permission.

Hope Williamson

I did remove the older TTS version first. I thought the 2 might conflict. I wasn't using it because of the clicking problem I was having with it.

Amir

Strange! It's a normal add-on which installs like other engines. But if you're using another add-on-based Eloquence or IBMTTS release, it should be removed first so as to avoid conflicts.

Hope Williamson

Except it got stuck and wouldn't install for like 5 minutes. It kept
saying "please wait." I had to restart the system to stop it. I'm
running both the latest Windows 10 and NVDA.

Hope Williamson

OK, I'll go install that now.

Amir

Hope Williamson

yeah I have to agree with that, there's nothing better than eloquence
and/or the eloquence-like voices.

Hope Williamson

Oh OK I think I'll download that one. Was that the Github link?

Amir

Absolutely. And the same is true about French and German. The US variant is, however, horse of a different color.

Gene

Though it should be added that if you use the British dialect of Eloquence and, Via Voice may well have that dialect choice as well, but I've never checked, its really poor.  it sounds like an American trying to imitate a British accent and doing so very poorly, which is what it actually is.  The British dialect wasn't developed by British speakers and it sounds like it.

The American speech is extremely good in terms of proper inflection, proper pausing, and pronouncing the most words correctly out of the box of any synthesizer I've tried.

Gene

On 9/28/2020 4:05 AM, Amir wrote:
Yeah -- I've also observed the breathing with MS OneCore voices and don't like it either. MS OneCore voices, though more human-like, have a low bit/sample rate -- something again I can't appreciate. As far as US English is concerned, Eloquence/IBMTTS remains unrivaled.

Amir

Yeah -- I've also observed the breathing with MS OneCore voices and don't like it either. MS OneCore voices, though more human-like, have a low bit/sample rate -- something again I can't appreciate. As far as US English is concerned, Eloquence/IBMTTS remains unrivaled.

Amir

No, the link I posted gets updated regularly whereas the one you provided is based on an older driver. For instance, the new one can optionally shorten Eloquence/IBMTTS pauses, interpret phrase predictions, and enable abbreviations.

Amir

No, I meant the non-SAPI, IBMTTS Eloquence, but the SAPI-4 version is also good albeit a bit slower with NVDA. The non-SAPI version I linked on Github sounds best IMO. BTW the dictionary project is compatible with your SAPI-4 Eloquence/ViaVoice.
Part of this confusion stems from the fact that IBM now develops a cloud-based TTS Engine, Watson. But like Google's Cloud-based TTS, it can't be used with screen readers.

Hope Williamson

No me neither, in fact i can't stand the breathing. It just did this a
few minutes ago when I was reading an article and I was like oh, it's
happening again.

Hope Williamson

I tried the paid one this year, probably March or April. I'm not sure
what Via Voice is so I can't say anything about that.

Hope Williamson

Hi, I linked to the files, they're here.
https://blindhelp.net/software/ibmtts

Gene

I haven't used such voices. We don't need silly ornamental imitations of reality such as voices breathing. I never am bothered by lack of breathing sounds and I don't think about it. Are these voices developed mainly for sighted people for whom they serve a very different purpose or for blind people who use them as important tools and not just for convenient reading of material when they feel like it? If Microsoft must have breathing, it should be able to be turned off.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 2:24 AM

I like eloquence for it's speed and efficiency. It's unrivaled. I can't
stand the built-in breath Microsoft puts into it's narrator voices. read
something long with one, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Gene

Againk how recently did you use the ;paid add-on? And by both, do you mean botgh Via Voice and Eloquence oor the Eloquence Add-on and the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence? If both versions of Eloquence and Viavoice are all clicky on your machine, there is another problem. I don't want to assume what the problem is. but all three displaying the same improper behavior shouldn't happen.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 2:20 AM

I've tried both. They were both extremely clicky. The paid add-on did it
on every other word. I uninstalled it after like 3-4 days of the trial
period.