Advanced VLC.

John Isige

Hey all. I was trying to use VLC to combine some video, based on this
article.

https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/vlc/how-to-use-vlc-as-a-video-editor.html

Here's the relevant quote:

"The feature of merging multiple videos together in VLC is so useful
that it can create a totally new single video. But note that only videos
in same video format can be merged together in VLC.
Step 1
Launch VLC media player and click on “Media” menu, select “Open Multiple
Files” from the drop-down menu.
open multiple file
Step 2
Click on “Add” button under the “File” tab, add the files according to
the sequence you want to play after merging.
add video to vlc
Step 3
Now, Go the Play button and click on "Convert" from the drop-down menu.
Then it will ask you to set the location for saving files location, you
can save merged file anywhere you want on computer. "

I can do step two just fine. When I get to step three, the play button
says it's a sub menu, and tells me to hit enter, but hitting enter,
space, and routing with NVDA-numpad slash and left clicking with numpad
slash all start playing one of the videos in the list. Right clicking
does nothing. Anybody know how to access stuff like this? There's also
an edit field that shows up as some sort of menu or such if you try to
convert a DVD, for entering a file name to save to. I assume that's the
same sort of thing. If anybody has a way to access that kind of stuff,
I'd surely appreciate it.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hey John.

I haven't done exactly as you described, but I used some of these steps to merge audio files into a video. The original video track was in Italian, and there was an alternate english track in a separate mp3 file. I didn’t' want to be bothered putting the subtitles onto a braille display so I could read them. Unfortunately, I can't exactly describe how I got this to work. VLC is a very powerful programme and my go-to for all video playback, but some of its features are not totally accessible -- as in, you can use them, but there's very little or no feedback at all. I do know I got this to work, but in the end I think I asked my girlfriend to help out with her eyes. I do remember being left with the impression that if I were a litle more patient about starting our movie that night, it could have been done without sighted assistance. Maybe I can play with this some more and get back to you. Don't give up hope. I'll also read that article you linked above as I'd really like to take advantage of more of VLC's features, myself.

[...]

David Moore

Hi guys!

I press NVDA+Spacebar to go into those kind of controls, and I can interact with them with the arrow keys. Remember to use NVDA+enter to activate controls as well.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

chris miles

On 27/12/2017 16:47, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Firstly, I would think that a sub-menu would mean that you probably press right arrow to go into the sub-menu.

Secondly, if you use the context menu is there a play item in the context menu?

John Isige

Pressing right arrow takes me to the next control, a checkbox concerning using subtitles. Pressing NVDA-enter or space, though I'm using the caps lock, doesn't help. NVDA-space does nothing, and NVDA-enter plays files, just like normal enter. Alt-p, which VLC is also giving as a way to access the control, weirdly also does nothing.

John Isige

Oh yes, sorry, I missed one. The context key does nothing, i.e. right clicking or shift-f10. I think I mentioned that in my original email.