Topics

Making NVDA profiles in diffrent languages

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 02:03 AM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
That has disadvantages.
-
Not to mention that this would require re-creating the portable copies with each NVDA update.

You can easily set up whatever number of desktop shortcuts are needed for the invocations of NVDA with the -C argument as needed, and name them appropriately, e.g., NVDA English, NVDA Deutsche, etc.

And even when that's done, you'll still have to switch language under Windows if you want absolutely everything "to match" as far as the language being used goes.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Tyler Spivey

That has disadvantages. Those portable copies won't be able to access anything requiring elevation.
Instead, call NVDA with -c and the path of a new config directory. For example, I can run:

nvda -c c:\users\tyler\nvdatest

and I have the same installed NVDA, just using a different configuration directory.

On 12/2/2020 4:28 PM, Deborah Armstrong wrote:
Create portable copies but save them to your hard drive. You want a portable copy for each language you know. Create shortcuts to each of these portable copies. Instead of running on flash drives, they simply run off your PC from their own directories.
You will also need a way to change the windows display and interface languages as well, or you're going to have German NVDA trying to read English! There are ways to do it -- talk to Microsoft support or look through their knowledgebase to get assistance. Microsoft also has two disability support portals: one for home users and one for enterprise users. You can ask these folks about easily switching your Windows language.
Remember Windows has an interface language, a display language a keyboard language and a speech language. You can set any or all of these. And you can switch between them.  Though the traditional "language bar"is a floating toolbar that NVDA cannot read, the keystrokes to switch languages are accessible and you don't really need to access the language bar to do the switching. I'll be discussing this in my NVDACon talk this Saturday.

Cristina Ebetiuc

Hi Deborah

This is a great idea thank you for that. Could you be so nice and write me a private message to explain me step by step to do that?

This would help me a lot.

Thanks again and greetings

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

[...]

Sascha Cowley

Given changing the NVDA language (not just speech or Braille language) requires restarting NVDA, the only way I can think of doing this is to create completely new configuration folders (not just profiles) for each NVDA language you wanted, and creating shortcuts to them using the `-c` flag to specify the configuration folder. You should then be able to alter all settings of these differently configured shortcuts as desired. You would, of course, have to quit NVDA and re-launch the differently configured version each time you wanted to change NVDA language.

Rui Fontes

I don't believe that is possible...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:57 de 24/10/2020, Cristina Ebetiuc escreveu:

Hi

How can I set the NVDA profiles to be in English, German, etc. I mean not only the voice but also the app NVDA itsself.

Greetings and a nice ivening