Topics

Onelook.com - Interaction with NVDA unlike anything I've ever experienced - Is there a logical explanation

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 12:01 PM, Robert Logue wrote:
Can't close the auto correct button when focused.
-
Uh, what "auto correct" button.  I have never seen an auto correct button on the Onelook.com website.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Robert Logue

Onelook is hard for me to use.  Can't easily select the word you want on the first suggestions list.

Can't close the auto correct button when focused.

Many tabs to go between sections.

Bob

On 2020-11-05 6:02 p.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
There are a couple of really weird goings on with NVDA and the Onelook results page, and I can't figure out "who's at fault."  I had offered this as a possible choice for online dictionary since it is a multi-dictionary search that presents things (visually, anyway) in a very straightforward manner.  This was on the JAWS list, and someone noted they couldn't search by headings (which is unsurprising, since that's not how the page presents results) but when I went digging further, things got stranger.  What follows is my post there afterward, which I'd like to get some eyes on here:

You are right that you can't navigate by headings, as headings are not used in the presentation of results.  The word searched on has links to each dictionary's information for it.  If I hit NVDA+F7 and have searched on, say, "deshabille," there is a stream of links reading deshabille, followed by a home link for the dictionary and an info link - lather rinse repeat for the number of dictionaries in which the word is located.

But, I cannot get single letter nav for links (k), unvisited link (u), or visited link (v) to work at all.  Yet, if I activate using the elements list, the links are noted as visited after I've done so.

I have to decide whether this is something I want to report to NVAccess or not, and will wait to do so until others have read what I wrote above and may be able to offer a logical explanation for this very odd (at least in my experience) behavior with NVDA traversal of the dictionary search results page.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 06:53 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
Had you tried restarting NVDA before restarting your system?
-
I honestly can't remember if I did restart NVDA first or not.  Since my machine "was due for a restart" anyway, it didn't bother me to do one.

I agree, though, that exiting and restarting NVDA itself is what would be the standard operating procedure for the process of elimination.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Luke Davis

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020, Brian Vogel wrote:

Gene,         I was using Brave, but have the same issue in Chrome.  I will check this again after restarting my system, just to make sure it's not
something that is mysteriously cured via that method
Had you tried restarting NVDA before restarting your system?

This sounds very like the weird problem wherein NVDA suddenly starts passing all keystrokes through to the application, and ignoring its own modifiers, overlays, etc. For example, insert+q would not quit NVDA in that case, you would either have to use the desktop shortcut, run dialog, or running application icon to restart NVDA.

Restarting NVDA in such a situation will solve it, restarting the machine wouldn't have been necessary if that's what was going on.

I thought there was an issue for this, but I can't find it.

Luke

--
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

And, at least for the moment, the issue has disappeared after a restart.  I'll never know what was up, but I'll keep an eye out for the issue to recur, and I hope it won't.

These sorts of bizarre and inexplicable things do happen, and very often a power cycling will fix 'em.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene,

         I was using Brave, but have the same issue in Chrome.  I will check this again after restarting my system, just to make sure it's not something that is mysteriously cured via that method.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

Just one more behavior that supports my contention that the links list shouldn't be used on unfamiliar pages. I'm not assuming you teach using the links list on unfamiliar pages but for those following the thread who do, this discussion helps show why it’s a bad idea.

this may not be the case with JAWS but I'll describe my experience with NVDA.

I can use the links list and I can move with quick navigation keys using the Brave browser. I don't know what browser you are using. But the links list doesn't give all information, evidently for the same reason some other ways of moving don't, as discussed below.

I tried the links list and, while I hear the information such as the word I'm looking for, I get no information about which dictionary the link is for. this is with NVDA. I look up a word, then I search for the word match. I am now right above the results. Tabbing doesn't present full information. Down arrowing is the only way I've found to see all the information, such as the word and the dictionary being used. That's how I would use this part of the site. Look up the word, search for match, then start down arrowing.

I just found out that using read current line on the link doesn't tell you what dictionary will be used. The only way I've found to have all the information read is by up and down arrowing to one of the links. I don't know what results you will get with JAWS or if the browser makes any difference.

[...]

Sascha Cowley

I just tried in Firefox, Chrome and Edge, and could not reproduce. On the results page, k, u and v acted as expected.