From: sazid shaik
Sent: 08 November 2020 13:16 36
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] wanted nvda for my windows 7 home basic

hello group members,

can anyone kindly share me nvda for my windows 7 home basic.  As I had formated my laptop hence it is little bit urgent please share as early as possible.

thanks and regards,
sazid
Recycle trees Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality Notice
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.

Data Protection
We comply with data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and take the security and privacy of personal data very seriously. If you no longer wish to receive emails from us please forward this email (so we can see who it was sent to you by) to dpo@... with your request, and we will review our information in line with your wishes.

Disclaimer
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, New College Worcester accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

Luke Davis

Standard NVDA will work fine for this. Get it at https://www.nvaccess.org/download

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020, sazid shaik wrote:

can anyone kindly share me nvda for my windows 7 home basic.  As I had formated my laptop hence it is little bit urgent please share as early as possible.

Quentin Christensen

While everyone is correct that the latest NVDA 2020.3 works fine on Windows 7, that is Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed.

If you happen to have just reformatted with your original Windows 7 media and haven't yet gone through the myriad of updates required before you get to SP1, then you will need NVDA 2017.3.  There is a link to that on the download page as well: https://www.nvaccess.org/download/nvda/releases/2017.3/nvda_2017.3.exe

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sean Randall

Hi Quentin,

Thanks for that. The page is perhaps slightly misleading in that the current support mentions 7 SP1, but the old version text  refers to Xp and below, missing  the  initial release of 7, but I of course acknowledge it’s a very small point.

While everyone is correct that the latest NVDA 2020.3 works fine on Windows 7, that is Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed.

If you happen to have just reformatted with your original Windows 7 media and haven't yet gone through the myriad of updates required before you get to SP1, then you will need NVDA 2017.3.  There is a link to that on the download page as well: https://www.nvaccess.org/download/nvda/releases/2017.3/nvda_2017.3.exe

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 5:29 AM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

Standard NVDA will work fine for this. Get it at
https://www.nvaccess.org/download

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020, sazid shaik wrote:

> can anyone kindly share me nvda for my windows 7 home basic.  As I had formated my laptop hence it is little bit urgent please share as early as possible.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Recycle trees Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality Notice
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.

Data Protection
We comply with data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and take the security and privacy of personal data very seriously. If you no longer wish to receive emails from us please forward this email (so we can see who it was sent to you by) to dpo@... with your request, and we will review our information in line with your wishes.

Disclaimer
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, New College Worcester accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

Quentin Christensen

Good point - at the time it was changed, the need for a download for NVDA 2017.3 was primarily for XP users.  There is really no reason for Windows 7 users not to update to SP1, but of course, as you have found, on many Windows 7 CDs (all the ones I have used at least), SP1 is not included and indeed takes some time updating before it is downloaded and updated to.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 7:53 PM Sean Randall <srandall@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin,

Thanks for that. The page is perhaps slightly misleading in that the current support mentions 7 SP1, but the old version text  refers to Xp and below, missing  the  initial release of 7, but I of course acknowledge it’s a very small point.

While everyone is correct that the latest NVDA 2020.3 works fine on Windows 7, that is Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed.

If you happen to have just reformatted with your original Windows 7 media and haven't yet gone through the myriad of updates required before you get to SP1, then you will need NVDA 2017.3.  There is a link to that on the download page as well: https://www.nvaccess.org/download/nvda/releases/2017.3/nvda_2017.3.exe

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 5:29 AM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

Standard NVDA will work fine for this. Get it at
https://www.nvaccess.org/download

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020, sazid shaik wrote:

> can anyone kindly share me nvda for my windows 7 home basic.  As I had formated my laptop hence it is little bit urgent please share as early as possible.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Recycle trees Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality Notice
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.

Data Protection
We comply with data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and take the security and privacy of personal data very seriously. If you no longer wish to receive emails from us please forward this email (so we can see who it was sent to you by) to dpo@... with your request, and we will review our information in line with your wishes.

Disclaimer
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, New College Worcester accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Edited

After my own kinda rule-bending post, I am going to lock this topic since the essential question about NVDA is already answered, and Windows 7 is no longer in support.

That being said, and because this applies whether we're talking Windows, or the driver & software packages for your printer or multifunction, or whatever you should really never use anything that's on CD/DVD, as it's almost certain to be out of date by the time it lands in your hands.  All software makers are constantly updating their online repositories for their software until such goes out of support (and in the case of Windows 7 SP1, there was still a lot going on even after the formal date).

Windows 7 SP1 ISO files are available straight from the Microsoft Mothership at

Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Those are SP1 ISOs, and the ancient XP ones were SP3 (at least the last time I ever had need to even think about downloading them).  Since Windows 7 is no longer in support, and it is still possible to do an upgrade to Windows 10 using these instructions, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, that's what I strongly suggest anyone still on Windows 7 do.  You can even do a completely clean install of Windows 10, supplying a Windows 7 or 8.1 license key when asked for one, and Windows 10 will activate.

Best practice is always to obtain a brand spankin' new copy of whatever software, direct from the maker's websites, rather than using any media that's handed to you (unless you know that what's been handed to you was created from the "end of the line" images by someone else).

This topic is now locked.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell