Topics

labeling graphics?

Ann Byrne

But making changes isn't easy. NVDA does a lot of awesome things. Be patient with the programmers. If it were easily doable, I would do it.

At 09:47 AM 11/16/2020, you wrote:
actually artificial intelligence technology is free and I also think it's open source unless I am wrong. Particularly tensorflow which by default uses python.

Josh Kennedy

actually artificial intelligence technology is free and I also think it's open source unless I am wrong. Particularly tensorflow which by default uses python.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

What is the difference between say the graphics labeler and this feature in golden cursor. I think some one called it a hot spot and If I remember right you could cloclick on a spot and label it then go back to it but you had to bring it up like a elements list if you could not tab to it.

The part from golden cursor it can do other stuff as well.

Commands are below.

• Control+NVDA+L: view saved mouse positions for an application if any.
• Shift+NVDA+l: save a tag or a label for the current mouse position in the currently focused

so in this case it moves the mouse to the area that was labled?

the way I under stand a graphics labeler is button is un labled you label it and when you say tab it is then read out but not sure with the golden cursor way.

Gene nz

On 16/11/2020 11:11 am, Luke Robinett wrote:
it has been requested and shut down many times. For some reason the developer seem to think it’s impossible to add this functionality to NVDA, even though many other screen readers have had graphics labeling for years. Kind of annoying but what can you do?

On Nov 15, 2020, at 9:08 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

Submit a suggestion over github, I doubt it will pass as AI costs money, which most of us do not have.

Take care

On 15 Nov 2020, at 7:45, Josh Kennedy wrote:

I posted two or three issues already over the past several years and nothing has been done about adding a graphics labeler or an object labeler or a frames manager to NVDA for making an ad on to do so. I think that NVDA should start to get away from scripting, and start using artificial intelligence and neural engine technology such as is used in the new voiceover for iOS 14. That way NVDA could start to read more things automatically and would rely less on scripting which can easily break when an application version changes The only other screen meter that I know of which used a primitive kind of artificial intelligence to read the screen in which not which did not rely on scripts was ASAP, automatic screen access program for Microsoft DOS made by micro talk. that screen reader was discontinued at around the year 2000 because windows took over. But for its time it was the best screen reader for DOS, or the disk operating system operating system which was available and which was ever made. I hope soon that somebody will at least make an ad on for NVDA which will use the free tensorflow neural Engine technology to allow NVDA to intelligently read the screen even if buttons and other controls may not be accessible in the standard way using standard accessibility measures. Voiceover for iOS can do this even if buttons and other objects are directly drawn onto the screen it can still identify them using artificial intelligence technology. It is amazing! I hope NVDA could do something similar in the future.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

I did not mind the idea for nvda remote. I think it was crowd funded but there was a developer or developers who could make this possible otherwise it could of been much longer before it went in or could be as a add on. there must of been a bit of work to make it possible.

could that be done for the graphics labeler?  I know when they first looked at it I think it slowed down nvda or some thing I would have to look up the ticket to see what the comment was.

In the end the add on for nvda remote ended up in the community but at the same time the people with the knowledge to do it should not do it for free with some thing so complex.

It may be different for other add ons some people with the knowledge want certain things to work and do not mind donating there time and add on to help the community.

Food for thought or maybe they might have some thing in the pipeline for next year? I must agree with talk back at times I do use the graphics labeler if it is there.

At present like every one else if there are unlabled buttons the program will get uninstalled and get a more accessible one.

I did talk to a developer that had done some thing simular but said about the licence and free to the community but would take time to create it but he still had to put food on the table.

[...]

Luke Robinett

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

[...]

If there is no issue on github, maybe the OP can submit an issue on said platform for those of us to comment on.

Blessings and happy Saturday

On 14 Nov 2020, at 10:50, Gene wrote:

NVDA doesn't have a graphics labeler. It also doesn't have a function like frames in JAWS. While these lacks don't affect a lot of users, they are real disadvantages for many would-be or current users.

I don't know why it doesn't have these functions, if there are technical reasons or others.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Ann Byrne
Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2020 12:47 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] labeling graphics?

Does NVDA have a way to label such graphics as 'read' and 'unread' in
email programs?

Thx

Gene