Using Google Voice Webpage with NVDA

First, if you are not already a Google Voice user and have a Google Voice phone number, feel free to mute this topic almost immediately.  What I am about to ask is not about how to use Google Voice, per se, because I do so all the time, but about getting NVDA to "play nice," if possible, with the page for one's Google Voice calling/texting/voicemail as well as the two tabs for archiving and reporting spam.

If I go through the page with NVDA active, via point and click, when I land on the control for "Call" it says, "Call tab selected,"  Note, this is not a browser tab, nor is it presented in the way that tabs are conventionally presented.  I have yet to find a way to do a quick navigation to any of them, though brute force tabbing (or shift+tabbing) always ends up with these controls as part of the traversal.

I also have not figured out, exactly, when it is that NVDA is going to handle the C keyboard shortcut for looking for a combo box versus passing it to Google Voice as a shortcut for "make a call," which it is when Google Voice has control.  Depending on where I have focus on the screen, it sometimes acts as a quick navigation shortcut and others as a Google Voice keyboard shortcut.  And none of these times is when I'm in an edit box, which behaves as I'd expect.

If anyone has experience using Google Voice via the webpage with NVDA who can shed some light about accessing it with NVDA, would you please share?

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Jackie

Brian V, the actions you can take on the GV page depend on which tab
is selected, as you well understand. NVDA does speak the state of the
tabs, so at any time you know which tab is selected. Changing the
selection is as easy as pressing the spacebar on the tab you wish
selected. Since these aren't, as you say, tabs in the "traditional"
sense, quick nav doesn't work, but I've never seen quick nav work
w/tabs anyway.

Basically, c acts as a combo box either when you're searching or
entering recipient phone numbers. & when finished entering a number,
press enter on it to select your choice, else it goes away. So tabs on
which you can't enter a phone number, such as voice mails, only allow
c to act as a combo box.

The s (for separator) key does work quite well for quickly navigating
between the various parts of the page.

Truthfully, I don't think c works at all as a call shortcut key unless
you use insert 2 to pass it thru. But s gets you to the call panel
quickly, so, really, there's not much need of it.

If that doesn't answer your questions, please ask again, & maybe I'll
get it right the next time. I haven't had coffee yet, so take this
w/whatever amount of salt you deem appropriate, understanding my need
for coffee to engage what little brain I have left is extremely high.

Thanks for the work you do on this list & for your work outside it
w/adaptive tech.

[...]

*If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to
something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you
have a legal mind.*

~ Thomas Reed Powell

Jackie,

         Thanks for this.  I'll play with it some over the coming days.  Right now I'm doing this so I can tutor a dear friend of mine who's been using NVDA (and JAWS before that) for decades now but for whom Google Voice is a new thing.  Even though she's in her 80s, she's going strong, and these days is doing a lot of work via phone that requires her to join various phone conferences.  It is so much easier not to have to literally hold a phone while working and also not to have to punch in numbers like the phone numbers and conference access codes, but just to copy and paste them.

          And, believe me, I know just exactly where you're coming from with regard to the brain not having fully engaged without it's morning dose of coffee (and morning can be any time of morning).

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Jackie

Age is a number. I lost a gentleman last year who I called my adoptive
dad. He was 96, & he had a blog on my server for around 8 years at the
time of his death, so he was already well into his 80's at that time.
& sharp as a razor! Yeah--I helped him w/blog administration, but the
content was all his. I miss him terribly.

The real trick to doing GV, once you get it set up, is to just know to
press enter on the recipient combo box when sending a msg. As always
on pages like that, virtual find is your friend, as is the 's'
(separator) key.

You have my private email as well if you feel you want to ask
questions or share info that you're not comforttable with on list.
I'll certainly help if I can.