Use of Headings, or Rather Lack Thereof, in Groups.IO Discussion Lists

Arlene

Oh wow! I did try it with my old windows 7 box.  It never worked right for me. I guess my old computer was not meant for it. For some strange reason I couldn’t install it even if I was trying the free version.  I never tried it again. I had errors and more errors when trying to install it.  What a shock.  Is that the screen reader that updates itself when new versions come out? Or am I lying?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Blaster
Sent: November 16, 2020 11:49 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Use of Headings, or Rather Lack Thereof, in Groups.IO Discussion Lists

Brian,

Since NVDA was most likely influenced in some way by System Access I

thought I'd post this to highlight my sadness for the loss of SA.

This was taken from a blog in 2010:

"Let's refresh our memories on what we have already done:

1. Serotek was the first to offer a full-featured accessibility

solution that does not require  administrator rights to provide speech

and braille access.

2. Serotek was the first to provide non-proprietary remote access

speech solutions for personal and  commercial environments that even

work with our competition.

3. Serotek was the first to provide full-featured access to 64-bit Windows.

4. Serotek was the first to provide direct support for Braille devices

that comply with the Human  Interface Device standard, allowing a user

to walk up to any Windows computer and have speech and  Braille access

without installing any drivers.

5. Serotek was the first (and is still the only,) completely web based

access solution to speech  and braille with satogo."

Take care,

Blaster

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 09:08 AM, Blaster wrote:

>> System Access going off the market is a very sad turn of events, indeed.

> -

> Sad, perhaps, but there is only so much room in niche markets in

> particular.  This is a screen reader I'd never even heard of until this

> particular topic came up.

> And I expect as Narrator continues to mature that other very small players

> will be exiting the stage, if any are left.

> --

> Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

> *If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to

> something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you

> have a legal mind.*

> ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Blaster

[...]

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 09:09 PM, Alex Kenny wrote:
You can jump to the next and previous messages using the S and Shift+S quick navigation keys. I do agree that headings would be ideal, however.
-
Thanks for that, as I can now update a couple of tutorials.  NVDA "sees" a layout table on these pages and you can use table navigation commands if you're in a Chromium-based browser, but not under Firefox.  The use of S and SHIFT+S is an excellent solution.

I was surprised when headings weren't used, but as long as a standard, easily navigable structure is, it'll work.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 09:08 AM, Blaster wrote:
System Access going off the market is a very sad turn of events, indeed.
-
Sad, perhaps, but there is only so much room in niche markets in particular.  This is a screen reader I'd never even heard of until this particular topic came up.

And I expect as Narrator continues to mature that other very small players will be exiting the stage, if any are left.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Blaster

Gene, Mike Calvo has stated he will no longer be selling or
maintaining the screen reader, System Access. The System Access
technology will still be available within the self voicing DocuScan
software and potentially some other new products, more info is coming
soon, however he has officially declared System Access dead as of the
end of this year. The SA to Go website is on the chopping block as
well as Mr. Calvo is rolling out a new set of programs that will also
remodel the Sero online family of services.

Here's a look at one of his newest projects,

https://pneumasolutions.com/

System Access going off the market is a very sad turn of events, indeed.

Blaster

Gene

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the System access to go web site will be taken down? I don't know how much it costs, but you could buy System Access if you want it.