Topics

NVDA OCR and what it presents afterward

Quentin Christensen

As an alternative to a commercial OCR like Abbyy FineReader, has anyone tried any of the free OCR programs around and if so can you report on their effectiveness?  A quick Google search brings up a number of options, but I must admit, I haven't looked at any yet.

Quentin.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 9:14 PM mcLeod stinnett <macks75205@...> wrote:

--
from mack  Wally, you can always keep a non activated copy of jaws on your system and use their o c r function.  you can use it for forty min. before you are asked to re-boot.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

mcLeod stinnett

--
from mack Wally, you can always keep a non activated copy of jaws on your system and use their o c r function. you can use it for forty min. before you are asked to re-boot.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Wally,

I'm afraid yes, NVDA is bound by the limitations of Windows OCR. If you do regularly need to run OCR on longer documents, it might be worth considering a full OCR program, which will be able to do fancier things as well.

Also, NVDA's OCR abilities aside, if you are regularly receiving documents you need to run OCR on, it would be worth raising that with the people sending the documents out.  When creating documents is often the easiest point to make them accessible, and in many cases, requires only a small change to workflow to achieve.

In the meantime, Sarah, good prompt, I did go and checked our user guide and it could be improved in this area.  I have created the following issue to put forward a change:

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:34 AM Marisane Moruthanyana <marisanem@...> wrote:
Morning Gene

Does it mean then that one should go to the next page and start the
OCR processing all over again?

Shoo! that is a painstaking exercise, especially when the document is long.

Wally

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Marisane Moruthanyana

Thank you, sir.

I will test that.

One addition with regard to PDF-XChange Viewer's OCR function:

The OCR functionality supports a base language set of English, French,
German and Spanish. Additional language extension packages are available **
*here.* ( https://www.tracker-software.com/pdf-xchange-viewer-ocr )

I once had a client using it on Swedish texts, which is one of the optional
languages available.  The language extension packages are also free.

*If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to
something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you
have a legal mind.*

~ Thomas Reed Powell

One addition with regard to PDF-XChange Viewer's OCR function:

The OCR functionality supports a base language set of English, French, German and Spanish. Additional language extension packages are available here.

I once had a client using it on Swedish texts, which is one of the optional languages available.  The language extension packages are also free.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Gene

I haven't seen it discussed and I haven't used the OCR feature in the program. It sounds as though that is what you will have to do but there are alternatives to using NVDA, which I expect will be discussed.

I use Openbook but that isn't a practical alternative in your case and I haven't followed the discussions about free alternatives carefully.

[...]

Edited

Resending since the webpage where you download PDF-XChange Viewer has changed since originally written.  Link is now correct.

The question of OCR scanning Image Scanned PDFs that one knows contain text comes up again and again.  If you don't want to invest some huge amount of money in a fully dedicated specialty OCR suite there is an excellent option available for free from Tracker Software:  PDF-XChange Viewer.

This software is not 100% accessible, but what you need to perform an OCR scan on an Image Scanned PDF is.

You have nothing to lose but a few minutes time to test out either PDF-XChange Viewer (which uses the "old Windows interface style" and I know to be accessible for running OCR) or the free edition of PDF-XChange Editor to check out whether it suits your needs.  I personally prefer PDF-XChange Viewer.  Here are the step-by-step instructions I wrote for a client who was a grad student who kept having old image scanned PDFs assigned for reading by various professors on how to OCR process them using PDF-XChange Viewer:

Used when you receive a PDF that was scanned without Optical Character Recognition.  For reading stick to Adobe Reader or other reader of your choice as PDF-XChange Viewer is not 100% accessible.

1.     Open PDF-XChange Viewer from your start menu or the desktop.

2.     ALT+F, O  Open a file, you’ll need to know where it is and navigate there in the Open Dialog, which is very much like File Explorer.

3.     CTRL+SHIFT+C  Perform optical character recognition on the file.  This will be quick for small files, 20 pages or less, but will take some time for very large files, hundreds of pages.  Listen for the process to complete.

4.     ALT+F, S  Save the file over itself with the OCR text now included.  If you wish to save the file under a different name and keep the original use ALT+F, A Save As to do this instead.

Once you have done the OCR processing and saved the file afterward, the text layer is a permanent part of that PDF file, and does not have to be processed again.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Marisane Moruthanyana

[...]

Morning Brian

That is what I want, but I do not know the technique to do that.

If you know how to do OCR processing before opening the document, please help.
Wally

Topic has been retitled for clarity and archival purposes.  Please make
ongoing responses to messages with the new title.

I actually did not know that NVDA OCR presents a page at a time.  This is
most likely because my standard advice is to do OCR processing before
opening a document, usually PDF, in a screen reader.  Using that technique
creates a text layer for the entire document prior to it ever being handed
to the screen reader, and you get a result that's the one you're asking for
here.

*If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to
something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you
have a legal mind.*

~ Thomas Reed Powell

Topic has been retitled for clarity and archival purposes.  Please make ongoing responses to messages with the new title.

I actually did not know that NVDA OCR presents a page at a time.  This is most likely because my standard advice is to do OCR processing before opening a document, usually PDF, in a screen reader.  Using that technique creates a text layer for the entire document prior to it ever being handed to the screen reader, and you get a result that's the one you're asking for here.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Sarah k Alawami

Per documentation whichI hope is present in the manual, the document only shown 1 screen at a time. If and only if the document can show up on 1 screen will the whole thing show up else you only see the screen with maybe that one sentence that ocr was able to capture.

On 22 Nov 2020, at 5:16, Marisane Moruthanyana wrote:

Hi gurus

I trust you are well.

I am trying to cope.

I am troubled by nvda.

I cannot understand why nvda does not show up all the information even
after the OCR process has been made.

It says that the document has been recognised, but only a sentence or
a page is shown up.

Why is that? How do I make it do that?

Please help.
Wally from SA

Gene

NVDA only recognizes what is on the screen. JAWS can recognize an entire document but that isn't a capability of NVDA.