any progress on aria-live being read multiple times?

Samuel Kacer

Hello,

I am just developing a web app that relies on aria live regions to implement advanced features. I can see that NVDA gets confused for chrome and edge, reading the live regions twice an for firefox it just seems to garble the text updates in live regions completely. For chrome and edge it is usable, but it does detract from the user experience.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows what progress there is on fixing this issue? Might this be fixed in the next NVDA version by any chance?

just to provide more info, I am using NVDA 2020.3

Kind Regards,
Sam

Gene

I suspect you would have to take up the question with developers or those who are knowledgeable about how live regions are handled. Have you tested with other screen-readers to see what happens? So far, we have no way of knowing if the live regions are implemented properly or if the problem is with N
NVDA. You may need to send a sample page to whomever you are consulting with for evaluation.

I am just developing a web app that relies on aria live regions to implement advanced features. I can see that NVDA gets confused for chrome and edge, reading the live regions twice an for firefox it just seems to garble the text updates in live regions completely. For chrome and edge it is usable, but it does detract from the user experience.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows what progress there is on fixing this issue? Might this be fixed in the next NVDA version by any chance?

just to provide more info, I am using NVDA 2020.3

Kind Regards,
Sam

Quentin Christensen

Is there an issue on GitHub?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Samuel Kacer

So I've experimented around to try and find the simplest example and I've found that the bug occurs when the element with aria-live also has a tabindex. If it doesn't have a tabindex then it is read once, but with a tabindex it will be read twice.

I think this bug is probably the same one that causes live information to be read twice when pressing the pause or mute button on youtube.

Searching through NVDA's issues on github it seems this bug isn't recorded, so I will go ahead and do that later.

tried on chrome, firefox, and edge. the bug occurs for chrome and edg, but not on firefox. however interestingly for firefox I get a completely different bug which I haven't been able to figure out what causes it. essentially there for my application, the live messages are completely garbled and out of order, but couldn't reproduce the bug with a simpler example...