Topics

compatible gmail notifier with nvda

tim

Well one did and it was google desktop.
It did what he wants and even let you read them. The down fall was memory hog and was constantly indexing.
Google killed it because to easy to get access to there email servers.

On 11/28/2020 6:03 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
It is not typical for any e-mail client, or webmail client, to provide notifications unless it is running or you are logged in.
The PC (or Mac, for that matter) behave differently, by design, than a smartphone.  You either need to have an email client running or be logged in to your Gmail (or Yahoo, or Outlook.com, or whatever webmail client) in a browser before notifications on new message arrival will be provided.
I guess it's possible that someone may have written an e-mail notifier that stays logged in to a given email account rather than expecting it to be open in the background like it typically is, but if one exists, I don't know about it.
*/If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind./*
        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

In order to get notifications from Gmail webmail for message arrivals, you must have two different settings tweaked, one in Windows and the other in Gmail's own settings.

1. In Windows, make sure the browser(s) that you're using are permitted to give notifications in Settings, System, Notifications & Actions pane.  I believe Microsoft automatically activates them for new Chromium-based Edge, but I have the entries for Chrome and Brave enabled for both banners and sounds.

2. In Gmail's settings, General tab, look for Desktop Notifications.  If you want pop-up notifications you need to activate the link to allow them (desktop notifications).  If you just want a notification via the action center, which is how most e-mail clients do it, then simply choose the radio button for the type of notification you want.

I intentionally have Gmail set to Mail notifications off.  But I cannot recall whether that was the default or whether I chose that at one time.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Micallef Michael at FITA

Actually, that's what I tried to do first to connect my outlook email client with gmail but it gave me a lot of hassle despite the fact that I followed gmail's instructions for ms-outlook, I'guess I'm doing something wrong and I'm not notice it.
Thank you

.

Michael Micallef
Officer in charge of ICT Accessibility Certification
and ICT Training for Persons with a Visual Impairment

Foundation for Information Technology Accessibility (FITA)

Email:
Office:
FB:
michael.micallef@gov.mt
+356 2599 2343
http://www.fitamalta.eu
http://on.fb.me/1hCRTAx

Kindly consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail

Hi guys/gals

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 06:52 PM, Arlene wrote:
You can turn on your mail notifications and it will notify you even though the windows ten mail is not open.
-
And that's because it's actually still running in the background.  There are a number of apps that have this capability.  But if you actually exit the Mail App process, those notifications will stop.  Open Task Manager if you've had the Mail App open, and even after you close the window you were using, the app is still shown in the process list if you have "more details" view showing.

That's actually what's happening on the various smartphone platforms, too, in regard to their e-mail apps.  Whether the window is actually open for reading, that app is still running in the background.  If you kill and don't restart those (which I'm not suggesting anyone do) the notifications stop on those platforms, too.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Arlene

On 2020-11-28 3:38 p.m., Micallef Michael at FITA wrote:

Hi guys/gals

[...]

CARLOS-ESTEBAN <carlosestebanpianista@...>

Hi all.

The web of Gmail only have notifications when this was enabled and is opened in the browser Gmail.com.

Regards.

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.

Músico (pianista) y ayuda a usuarios ciegos y con discapacidad visual, con el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología.

Musician (pianist) and also help to the blind people with the use of screen readers and technology.

Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.

Certified expert in NVDA

Try Pop Peeper. It's an email notifier and with the plus patch (shareware) an RSS reader.

> Well, you could just tell an email program like Thunderbird to use your

> Gmail account. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're asking though.

> On 2020-11-28 3:38 p.m., Micallef Michael at FITA wrote:

> > Hi guys/gals

> > Does any recommend a gmail notifier compatible with nvda screen reader

> > that can notify me with a new gmail without login to gmail on the browser?

> > .

> > FITA Logo

> > *Michael Micallef

> > *Officer in charge of ICT Accessibility Certification

> > and ICT Training for Persons with a Visual Impairment

> > *Foundation for Information Technology Accessibility (FITA)*

> > Email:

> > Office:

> > FB:

> > michael.micallef@... <mailto:michael.micallef@...>

> > +356 2599�2343

> > _http://www.fitamalta.eu <http://www.fitamalta.eu/>_

> > http://on.fb.me/1hCRTAx <http://on.fb.me/1hCRTAx>

> > Kindly consider your environmental responsibility before printing this

> > e-mail

Rob Hudson

Hi guys/gals

michael.micallef@gov.mt <mailto:michael.micallef@gov.mt>
+356 25992343
_http://www.fitamalta.eu <http://www.fitamalta.eu/>_
http://on.fb.me/1hCRTAx <http://on.fb.me/1hCRTAx>

Kindly consider your environmental responsibility before printing this
e-mail

Gene