Reading with NVDA on a Web Browser

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning:  I am using NVDA 20.3.  I have tried to read with Firefox and Micro Soft Edge on a web page.  When reading by line by pressing the down arrow on the four pack on a desk top computer, I can read the information.  However, when pressing the NVDA key + the down arrow to read all NVDA reads the line only. However, when pressing the NVDA key bottom is spoken.  I have never seen this action before.  It doesn't make any difference what web page you are on.  I thought it was how the page was set up, so, I went to the AFB.org page and this happened there as well.  This is on Win 2004 version of windows.  I am using Windows Essentials add on with NVDA.  This started with Fire Fox with no add ons for NVDA.  This is a fresh install of Windows.

Dave

Sarah k Alawami

Why not just use the arrow keys to read by line? No need in my humble opinion to use the nvda ones. I never ever use them unless "m in screen or document review which for me is only when I have to be.

On 29 Nov 2020, at 8:59, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Good Morning:  I am using NVDA 20.3.  I have tried to read with Firefox and Micro Soft Edge on a web page.  When reading by line by pressing the down arrow on the four pack on a desk top computer, I can read the information.  However, when pressing the NVDA key + the down arrow to read all NVDA reads the line only. However, when pressing the NVDA key bottom is spoken.  I have never seen this action before.  It doesn't make any difference what web page you are on.  I thought it was how the page was set up, so, I went to the AFB.org page and this happened there as well.  This is on Win 2004 version of windows.  I am using Windows Essentials add on with NVDA.  This started with Fire Fox with no add ons for NVDA.  This is a fresh install of Windows.

Dave

Dave Grossoehme

Thanks for the quick response.  That's fine unless you are reading a long article on the web.  I've changed to all the different reviews and nothing changes.  I just found out the NVDA even say's bottom when pressing it in an email.

Dave

On 11/29/2020 10:05 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Can you check:

  1. What is the keyboard layout set to (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Keyboard)?
  2. Which down arrow key are you pressing to start say all? Don’t use Numpad down arrow (Numpad 2) for this purpose.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Good Day:  Thanks Joseph for the quick response.  The keyboard setting was set to laptop.  The skim reading was also turned off.  As far as the down key, it was the down key on the four pack or the down key on the arrow keys.  The question I have is why did the numpad incert key say bottom?

Dave

On 11/29/2020 10:54 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Because in laptop layout, NVDA+down arrow (regular down arrow key) reads next line under review cursor. To perform say all in laptop layout, press NVDA+A.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Gene

You are using a JAWS command that is not available in NVDA. The commands you want to use have never been available. Ivf you want to use the keys in this way, an add-on has recently become available that will let you do this but you will not be able to review the screen or use object navigation if you have it set to emulate the read to end command in JAWS and more or less the numpad keys in JAWS.

If you just use NVDA and try to use all the JAWS commands, some will work and some will not.

You can get the add-on here:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/numpadNavMode.en.html

There is nothing wrong with using the add-on, but if you don't know the basics of using NVDA screen review commands, you may have inconveniences when wanting to hear dialogs or move through them efficiently or at other times when you are working somewhere where there isn't a cursor.