web page navigation

Don H

Running latest released version of NVDA on a win 10 20h2 system and latest veersions of Google Chrome and MS Edge.
I like to use the arrow keys to review a web page. In doing that I come accross multiple lines in a row that say Inserted. I think these are advertisements. Is there a way with NVDA to skip over these types of lines?
Thanks

Gene

There is an attachment that may allow you to skip advertisements. I don't recall its name though I can probably find it with a Google search. You can also try an add blocker. But the attachment isn't for reading line by line. It is for reading text, such as an article and it requires that you issue the read command at frequent intervals. I'm not sure when you have to do this, if it is at the end of every paragraph or just when. The add-on skips extraneous material.

But that may not be what you want. An add blocker may be.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 3:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] web page navigation

Running latest released version of NVDA on a win 10 20h2 system and
latest veersions of Google Chrome and MS Edge.
I like to use the arrow keys to review a web page. In doing that I come
accross multiple lines in a row that say Inserted. I think these are
advertisements. Is there a way with NVDA to skip over these types of lines?
Thanks

Gene

I thought I could find the add-on but I haven't been able to with Internet searches, looking at the first five or six results of two searches. Someone may tell the list where to get it.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] web page navigation

There is an attachment that may allow you to skip advertisements. I don't
recall its name though I can probably find it with a Google search. You can
also try an add blocker. But the attachment isn't for reading line by line.
It is for reading text, such as an article and it requires that you issue
the read command at frequent intervals. I'm not sure when you have to do
this, if it is at the end of every paragraph or just when. The add-on skips
extraneous material.

But that may not be what you want. An add blocker may be.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 3:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] web page navigation

Running latest released version of NVDA on a win 10 20h2 system and
latest veersions of Google Chrome and MS Edge.
I like to use the arrow keys to review a web page. In doing that I come
accross multiple lines in a row that say Inserted. I think these are
advertisements. Is there a way with NVDA to skip over these types of lines?
Thanks

I agree with Gene that an Ad Blocker is something you should try if you are not already using one.  And since both browsers you name are Chromium-based ones my recommendation is uBlock Origin along with uBlock Origin Extra.  That or using an ad-blocking browser like Brave or similar.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

~ Brendan Buck, former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner 

Hi,

Another option: check editor revisions announcement (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Document formatting), and if checked, uncheck it and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 2:44 PM

I agree with Gene that an Ad Blocker is something you should try if you are not already using one.  And since both browsers you name are Chromium-based ones my recommendation is uBlock Origin along with uBlock Origin Extra.  That or using an ad-blocking browser like Brave or similar.
--

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

~ Brendan Buck, former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner 

And as an aside, this is yet another instance where offering a couple of URLs for the pages where an issue is being experienced would be of great value.  It's so much easier to give accurate advice when you have an example to play around with to try to figure out what's up.

I know this is sometimes not possible when it occurs on pages that are behind a login process, but my gut tells me that's not the case in this instance.
--

Don H

OK here is just one example of a web site that has this inserted thing going on
https://www.theidioms.com/let-the-cat-out-of-the-bag/

On 12/12/2020 4:50 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
And as an aside, this is yet another instance where offering a couple of URLs for the pages where an issue is being experienced would be of great value.  It's so much easier to give accurate advice when you have an example to play around with to try to figure out what's up.
I know this is sometimes not possible when it occurs on pages that are behind a login process, but my gut tells me that's not the case in this instance.
--
Brian -Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042
[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:] /Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy./
        ~ Brendan Buck, /former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner/

Don H

Alaready running uBlock Origin Extra.

On 12/12/2020 4:44 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
--
[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:] /Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy./
        ~ Brendan Buck, /former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner/

Don H

OK it appears that unchecking the editor revisions announcement solves the issue. Is there any examples as to when it is better to have editor revisions announcement checked?

On 12/12/2020 4:46 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Another option: check editor revisions announcement (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Document formatting), and if checked, uncheck it and see if that makes a difference.
Cheers,
Joseph
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian Vogel
*Sent:* Saturday, December 12, 2020 2:44 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] web page navigation
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

Hi,
Editor revisions are useful when reviewing documents sent by someone, or if you want to take a deeper look at changes made on a site.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 3:29 PM

OK it appears that unchecking the editor revisions announcement solves the issue. Is there any examples as to when it is better to have editor revisions announcement checked?

On 12/12/2020 4:46 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,

Another option: check editor revisions announcement (NVDA
menu/Preferences/Settings/Document formatting), and if checked,
uncheck it and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Joseph

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian
Vogel
*Sent:* Saturday, December 12, 2020 2:44 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] web page navigation

I agree with Gene that an Ad Blocker is something you should try if
you are not already using one. And since both browsers you name are
Chromium-based ones my recommendation is uBlock Origin along with
uBlock Origin Extra. That or using an ad-blocking browser like Brave or similar.
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by
Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:] /Pleased with the
SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this
crazy train goes next. We should know by now there’s a bottomless
supply of crazy./

~ Brendan Buck, /former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul
Ryan and John Boehner/

Gene

Which explains your problem. This snippet is displayed by Google about UBlock Origin Extra.
The Chrome extension uBlock Origin Extra is a companion application for uBlock Origin. It is designed to add capabilities to work around anti-blocking technologies. It does nothing when installed as a standalone extension, but improves uBlock Origin's capabilities when it is also installed in Chrome.

For however long you have been running it, it has been doing nothing. Did you read the information on the site before installing it? You should read about what you are installing, either information on the site probably the page itself, or elsewhere. Don't assume.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 5:28 PM

Alaready running uBlock Origin Extra.

On 12/12/2020 4:44 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I agree with Gene that an Ad Blocker is something you should try if you are not already using one. And since both browsers you name are Chromium-based ones my recommendation is uBlock Origin along with uBlock Origin Extra. That or using an ad-blocking browser like Brave or similar.
--

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:] /Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next. We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy./

Chris Mullins

Hi Don

Try using the Brave browser.  It uses Chrome and has a built-in ad blocker.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 12 December 2020 22:44

--

Tony Malykh

Try my TextNav add-on:

https://github.com/mltony/nvda-text-nav/

It allows you to skip over ads, menus, images and stuff of that nature.

--Tony

On 12/12/2020 1:49 PM, Don H wrote:
Running latest released version of NVDA on a win 10 20h2 system and latest veersions of Google Chrome and MS Edge.
I like to use the arrow keys to review a web page.  In doing that I come accross multiple lines in a row that say Inserted.  I think these are advertisements.  Is there a way with NVDA to skip over these types of lines?
Thanks