"Recognizing"
"Result document"
After that, I arrow up and down, move the review cursor around, but to
no avail as NVDA keeps saying "blank" consistently. I then need to
press Esc to go back to the graphic where I was, essentially returning
to where I started. I would note that I do not have the Tessarac OCR
add-on installed as I would like to leverage Windows 10 OCR. I am not
sure if I am doing something wrong, if I need to configure something
differently, or am somehow missing the scanned results.

I would truly appreciate any assistance in getting the hang of using
the Windows 10 OCR functionality via NVDA.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/

Are you absolutely, positively certain that the graphic that has focus in your example case has content that can be OCR processed?  I ask that not to be snarky, but I've seen rare occasions where something is mislabeled and contains, say, a photograph of an outdoor scene, which cannot, of course, be OCR processed.  And in those sorts of circumstances, I really don't know how you'd know that sans sighted assistance, though there very well may be a way I'm unaware of.  I know there are now picture describers, which might help.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

~ Brendan Buck, former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner 

Hi,

Also, sometimes one must go one more level down i.e. press NVDA+Numpad down arrow (NvDA+Shift+Down arrow in laptop layout) in order to force the navigator object to be placed in the graphic proper (Windows 10 OCR’s job is to recognize whatever navigator object is pointing at).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 8:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How TO Use Windows 10 OCR

Are you absolutely, positively certain that the graphic that has focus in your example case has content that can be OCR processed?  I ask that not to be snarky, but I've seen rare occasions where something is mislabeled and contains, say, a photograph of an outdoor scene, which cannot, of course, be OCR processed.  And in those sorts of circumstances, I really don't know how you'd know that sans sighted assistance, though there very well may be a way I'm unaware of.  I know there are now picture describers, which might help.

--

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

~ Brendan Buck, former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner 

Hi Bhavya,
Another thing to check, is screen curtain disabled? The OCR does not work when screen curtain is enabled.

Kind regards/Vriendelijke groet,
Artin Dekker
groepen@artindekker.com

Op 16-12-2020 om 17:00 schreef Bhavya shah:

Dear all,

I am using NVDA 2020.3 on Windows 10's latest stable build. Whenever I
focus on a graphic on the web and press NVDA+R, NVDA says:
"Recognizing"
"Result document"

Thanks.

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

Thank you Brian and Joseph for your inputs, but I had accounted for
those considerations. Artin, screen curtain was the factor I was
missing - thanks a lot for pointing that out! I disabled screen
curtain temporarily and read the scanning results of some graphics.
Just wondering: is Windows 10 OCR not working when screen curtain is
enabled a known and documented issue, and if so, is it something that
can be possibly fixed?

Thanks.

On 12/17/20, Artin Dekker <groepen@artindekker.com> wrote:
Hi Bhavya,
Another thing to check, is screen curtain disabled? The OCR does not
work when screen curtain is enabled.

Artin Dekker
groepen@artindekker.com

Op 16-12-2020 om 17:00 schreef Bhavya shah:
Dear all,

I am using NVDA 2020.3 on Windows 10's latest stable build. Whenever I
focus on a graphic on the web and press NVDA+R, NVDA says:
"Recognizing"
"Result document"

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhavyashah125/

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:49 AM, Bhavya shah wrote:
Just wondering: is Windows 10 OCR not working when screen curtain is enabled a known and documented issue, and if so, is it something that can be possibly fixed?
-
This was a great catch on Artin's part!  It is not documented in the User Guide, and really should be.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that this is not fixable if what the OCR does is, for all practical intents and purposes, scan the screen display buffer as though it were an image.  Using screen curtain functions keeps that buffer constantly "blanked," so there would be nothing to scan.  It's a Catch-22.  I'll be curious to see if my guess has any connection to reality, and there are a couple of regulars here who can likely confirm or refute off the top of their heads.

--

Hi,

I know that one person reported this observation on GitHub, and I think someone proposed a message to be shown when this combination is active (attempting to do an OCR while screen curtain is on).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 9:00 AM

Just wondering: is Windows 10 OCR not working when screen curtain is enabled a known and documented issue, and if so, is it something that can be possibly fixed?

-
This was a great catch on Artin's part!  It is not documented in the User Guide, and really should be.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that this is not fixable if what the OCR does is, for all practical intents and purposes, scan the screen display buffer as though it were an image.  Using screen curtain functions keeps that buffer constantly "blanked," so there would be nothing to scan.  It's a Catch-22.  I'll be curious to see if my guess has any connection to reality, and there are a couple of regulars here who can likely confirm or refute off the top of their heads.

--

Gene

If the situation can't be changed, can the program announce that the screen curtain is on and must be turned off when the user attempts to perform OCR?

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 11:00 AM

Just wondering: is Windows 10 OCR not working when screen curtain is enabled a known and documented issue, and if so, is it something that can be possibly fixed?-
This was a great catch on Artin's part! It is not documented in the User Guide, and really should be.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that this is not fixable if what the OCR does is, for all practical intents and purposes, scan the screen display buffer as though it were an image. Using screen curtain functions keeps that buffer constantly "blanked," so there would be nothing to scan. It's a Catch-22. I'll be curious to see if my guess has any connection to reality, and there are a couple of regulars here who can likely confirm or refute off the top of their heads.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:] Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next. We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

Gene

I see my suggestion is covered in this message.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 11:02 AM

Hi,

I know that one person reported this observation on GitHub, and I think someone proposed a message to be shown when this combination is active (attempting to do an OCR while screen curtain is on).

Cheers,

Joseph

-
This was a great catch on Artin's part! It is not documented in the User Guide, and really should be.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that this is not fixable if what the OCR does is, for all practical intents and purposes, scan the screen display buffer as though it were an image. Using screen curtain functions keeps that buffer constantly "blanked," so there would be nothing to scan. It's a Catch-22. I'll be curious to see if my guess has any connection to reality, and there are a couple of regulars here who can likely confirm or refute off the top of their heads.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:] Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next. We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

Actually that person was me, the issue is at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/11911.

Artin Dekker
groepen@...
Op 17-12-2020 om 18:02 schreef Joseph Lee:

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

-

--