How TO Use Windows 10 OCR

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I am using NVDA 2020.3 on Windows 10's latest stable build. Whenever I
focus on a graphic on the web and press NVDA+R, NVDA says:
"Recognizing"
"Result document"
After that, I arrow up and down, move the review cursor around, but to
no avail as NVDA keeps saying "blank" consistently. I then need to
press Esc to go back to the graphic where I was, essentially returning
to where I started. I would note that I do not have the Tessarac OCR
add-on installed as I would like to leverage Windows 10 OCR. I am not
sure if I am doing something wrong, if I need to configure something
differently, or am somehow missing the scanned results.

I would truly appreciate any assistance in getting the hang of using
the Windows 10 OCR functionality via NVDA.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Are you absolutely, positively certain that the graphic that has focus in your example case has content that can be OCR processed?  I ask that not to be snarky, but I've seen rare occasions where something is mislabeled and contains, say, a photograph of an outdoor scene, which cannot, of course, be OCR processed.  And in those sorts of circumstances, I really don't know how you'd know that sans sighted assistance, though there very well may be a way I'm unaware of.  I know there are now picture describers, which might help.

Also, sometimes one must go one more level down i.e. press NVDA+Numpad down arrow (NvDA+Shift+Down arrow in laptop layout) in order to force the navigator object to be placed in the graphic proper (Windows 10 OCR’s job is to recognize whatever navigator object is pointing at).

Cheers,

Joseph