NVDA 2020.4 Beta 1 now available

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Lazily copying my tweet - so you get everything in one sentence: NVDA 2020.4Beta1 is now available for testing, including  new Chinese Input methods, an update to Liblouis, the elements list now works in focus mode, context sensitive help pressing F1 in NVDA dialogs & heaps more!

As usual, please do report any issues on GitHub.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

I just downloaded this new version of NVDA and it's working great so-far.

Rosemarie

On 12/16/2020 2:13 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

Lazily copying my tweet - so you get everything in one sentence: NVDA 2020.4Beta1 is now available for testing, including  new Chinese Input methods, an update to Liblouis, the elements list now works in focus mode, context sensitive help pressing F1 in NVDA dialogs & heaps more!

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

molly the blind tech lover

I just downloaded the beta.

Works great.

I love that new f1 help feature.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 5:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA 2020.4 Beta 1 now available

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Christo de Klerk

Hi Quentin

Some months ago I raised the matter of the LibLouis Afrikaans grade 2 table not being included in NVDA. The response was that LibLouis developers should notify NVDA developers that the table is available for inclusion. I then raised it on the LibLouis list and as the developer of the table assured everybody that the table was fine for both forward and back translation and should be included in other products which it currently is, except for NVDA. Joseph took part in that discussion. The LibLouis developers seemed unaware that they officially had to let NVDA developers know about the table.

I honestly don't know what to do any more to get the table included. We need it here in our country and it has been included with every version of LibLouis since September last year. Please can you assist.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2020/12/17 12:13 am, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

Hi,

Supersonic jet is on its way – expect something from me within the next 30 minutes (i.e. I’m going to submit a pull request that will make your dream into a reality before I sleep tonight, although I don’t know if I might sleep given I drank too much coffee this morning in preparation for a final exam…).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Christo de Klerk
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA 2020.4 Beta 1 now available

Hi Quentin

Some months ago I raised the matter of the LibLouis Afrikaans grade 2 table not being included in NVDA. The response was that LibLouis developers should notify NVDA developers that the table is available for inclusion. I then raised it on the LibLouis list and as the developer of the table assured everybody that the table was fine for both forward and back translation and should be included in other products which it currently is, except for NVDA. Joseph took part in that discussion. The LibLouis developers seemed unaware that they officially had to let NVDA developers know about the table.

I honestly don't know what to do any more to get the table included. We need it here in our country and it has been included with every version of LibLouis since September last year. Please can you assist.

Kind regards

Christo

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Hi,

The supersonic jet has landed:

Liblouis 3.16.1 follow-up: add Afrikaans grade 2 braille table to braille input/output tables interface by josephsl · Pull Request #11946 · nvaccess/nvda (github.com)

I asked NV Access and other reviewers to take care of this before final 2020.4 localization data is sent to translators.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Quentin

Kind regards

Christo

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Christo de Klerk

Many thanks, Joseph, much appreciated.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2020/12/17 10:10 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

The supersonic jet has landed:

Liblouis 3.16.1 follow-up: add Afrikaans grade 2 braille table to braille input/output tables interface by josephsl · Pull Request #11946 · nvaccess/nvda (github.com)

I asked NV Access and other reviewers to take care of this before final 2020.4 localization data is sent to translators.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Quentin

Kind regards

Christo

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Christo de Klerk

And I wish you everything of the very best for your exams, but I know you will pass it with flying colours in your supersonic jet.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2020/12/17 09:42am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Supersonic jet is on its way – expect something from me within the next 30 minutes (i.e. I’m going to submit a pull request that will make your dream into a reality before I sleep tonight, although I don’t know if I might sleep given I drank too much coffee this morning in preparation for a final exam…).

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Quentin

Kind regards

Christo

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Jim Pipczak

Hi all,

I believe that the beta should be installed into its own directory and not overwrite the existing full version. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, 17 December 2020 9:14 AM

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Client Services
Vision Australia
14 & 17 Barrett Street Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@...
www.visionaustralia.org

Vision Australia is committed to supporting the blind and low vision community through COVID-19. Find out about our response and free support resources online at www.visionaustralia.org/COVID19.

Quentin Christensen

Jim,

Interesting point.  The way it works currently is that:
- We regularly release Alpha snapshots every few days or sometimes several times a day, regardless of where else we are in the release cycle
- Three or four weeks before a release, we release a beta version.  If any bugs are found, we release a second (or third etc) beta.  This time around, the beta will have a little longer so we didn't either rush things to push a release before Christmas, or leave it entirely until next year.
- A week or so before the release, we put out a "Release Candidate" (RC) build.  Again, if any issues are found, we go to RC2, RC3 etc.
- Once all the big bugs have been ironed out (or pulled), we put out the final version.

The Beta and RC versions are set by default to prompt to update as new beta or RC builds, or the final stable version comes out.  If we were to have the beta install in a separate place, then it would make that sequence more complex.  And it would also be one more thing to change at some point (when we move to the RC?  Or only when we move to the stable version?) - and of course, any change is an opportunity to break something.

That's my thoughts off the top of my head, but it's an idea I'm happy to take more thoughts on.

Quentin.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 10:20 AM Jim Pipczak <jim.pipczak@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I believe that the beta should be installed into its own directory and not overwrite the existing full version. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Jim Pipczak
Client Services
Vision Australia

www.visionaustralia.org

Vision Australia is committed to supporting the blind and low vision community through COVID-19. Find out about our response and free support resources online at www.visionaustralia.org/COVID19.

--
Quentin Christensen

Dan Miner

I’m on the side of parallel install for the beta line.  I’ve done it both ways over my career as software a developer and yes there is a bit more complexity with the release management side of it… but it is safer for users and potentially easier to switch back and forth if provisioned for in the project.  Saying that, I see the complexity of that with the logon screen support and roaming settings stuff.

I've not participated in trying a beta as I thought this was the case and I just don't want to crater my box.  *grin*

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2020 2:45 PM

Jim,

- We regularly release Alpha snapshots every few days or sometimes several times a day, regardless of where else we are in the release cycle

- Three or four weeks before a release, we release a beta version.  If any bugs are found, we release a second (or third etc) beta.  This time around, the beta will have a little longer so we didn't either rush things to push a release before Christmas, or leave it entirely until next year.

- A week or so before the release, we put out a "Release Candidate" (RC) build.  Again, if any issues are found, we go to RC2, RC3 etc.

- Once all the big bugs have been ironed out (or pulled), we put out the final version.

The Beta and RC versions are set by default to prompt to update as new beta or RC builds, or the final stable version comes out.  If we were to have the beta install in a separate place, then it would make that sequence more complex.  And it would also be one more thing to change at some point (when we move to the RC?  Or only when we move to the stable version?) - and of course, any change is an opportunity to break something.

That's my thoughts off the top of my head, but it's an idea I'm happy to take more thoughts on.

Quentin.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Jim

Hi everyone,

Lazily copying my tweet - so you get everything in one sentence: NVDA 2020.4Beta1 is now available for testing, including  new Chinese Input methods, an update to Liblouis, the elements list now works in focus mode, context sensitive help pressing F1 in NVDA dialogs & heaps more!

Read more and download from: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-4beta1/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/

User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jim Pipczak

Client Services

Vision Australia

www.visionaustralia.org

Vision Australia acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we operate. We have an inclusive culture and value diversity and all abilities.

--

Quentin Christensen

Hi,

This is one of the reasons for using betas as portable copies. Although you won’t be able to test everything, it should give you a feel as to what’s new and changed (and a few months from now, add-ons that must be updated).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Miner via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2020 9:52 PM

I’m on the side of parallel install for the beta line.  I’ve done it both ways over my career as software a developer and yes there is a bit more complexity with the release management side of it… but it is safer for users and potentially easier to switch back and forth if provisioned for in the project.  Saying that, I see the complexity of that with the logon screen support and roaming settings stuff.

I've not participated in trying a beta as I thought this was the case and I just don't want to crater my box.  *grin*

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2020 2:45 PM

Jim,

Quentin.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Jim

Hi everyone,

Lazily copying my tweet - so you get everything in one sentence: NVDA 2020.4Beta1 is now available for testing, including  new Chinese Input methods, an update to Liblouis, the elements list now works in focus mode, context sensitive help pressing F1 in NVDA dialogs & heaps more!

Read more and download from: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-4beta1/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Jim Pipczak

Client Services

Vision Australia

www.visionaustralia.org

Vision Australia acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we operate. We have an inclusive culture and value diversity and all abilities.

--

Quentin Christensen

Peter Chin

Hello Moses,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Using Window-Eyes screenreader on Windows8.1, I found very little difference in the two versions you sent me. I have not tried using other screenreaders as I am not very familiar with them. I did slightly prefer the OB version as there seemed to be fewer strange punctuation.

Thanks for sending.

Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 6:13 AM

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

Peter,

Did you intend to reply to this thread?  Only this thread started life as being about a new NVDA beta (and you haven't commented in it before, nor has anyone called Moses).

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 4:16 PM Peter Chin <peter.chinpk@...> wrote:
Hello Moses,

Using Window-Eyes screenreader on Windows8.1, I found very little difference in the two versions you sent me. I have not tried using other screenreaders as I am not very familiar with them. I did slightly prefer the OB version as there seemed to be fewer strange punctuation.

Thanks for sending.

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...>

Hi,
When the official release should be?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 7:37:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Peter,

Did you intend to reply to this thread?  Only this thread started life as being about a new NVDA beta (and you haven't commented in it before, nor has anyone called Moses).

Quentin.

Hello Moses,

Thanks for sending.

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Bobby Vinton <vinton.bobby5277@...>

Well nvda 2020.4 baita 4 is out.  Just correcting you and every one posting to the list.

On 2/4/2021 12:47 AM, Afik Souffir wrote:

Hi,

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>

Peter,

Quentin.

Hello Moses,

Thanks for sending.

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

Indeed, thanks Bobby, yes 2020.4beta4 is out :)  I didn't even get into that since it looked like Peter had simply posted to the wrong thread.

Anyone who missed the more recent announcement about that can read the full info and download here: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-4beta4/

And we're about to put out a release candidate soon, so the final version will be out a week or so after that - unless we hit any bugs and go to RC2, in which case push that back by a week or so :)

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 4:56 PM Bobby Vinton <vinton.bobby5277@...> wrote:

Well nvda 2020.4 baita 4 is out.  Just correcting you and every one posting to the list.

On 2/4/2021 12:47 AM, Afik Souffir wrote:

Hi,

Peter,

Quentin.

Hello Moses,

Thanks for sending.

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen