How to study Japanese with NVDA?


Daniel Gartmann <dgartmann@...>
 

 

Hello

 

I have been asked to help a blind University student who is studying Japanese. The goal is to be able to read on a Braille display connected to a Windows10 computer.

 

Anybody with experience in studying Japanese on a system in e.g. English or some other language?

 

I have been told that in order for Japanese Braille to work properly, the entire computer needs to be in Japanese. We are using the computer either in Danish or in English.

 

I tried running a portable copy of NVDA from www.nvda.jp, but it didn’t start right away.

 

So, hope someone with experience in this would be willing to share their knowledge.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Daniel

 


Marco Oros
 

OK.

Here is one problem:

Japanese has a japanese braille, but It is not implemented to NVDA, because of three alphabets, which are used in Japanese.

About speech synthesizers, I know that Windows has some japanese voices, but I don't know, how to new japanese keyboard layout.

I have asked this last question, because keys to switch keyboard layout were changed. I think on japanese characters, not switch from one language to another language. For example, I would like to switch from Hiragana to Katakana and Romaji. About Kanji letters, You can press twice time spacebar and select one kanji letter, press enter and It'll be written down.

That's everything, which I know about japanese keyboard layout.

Last note:

I am from Slovakia, not from Japan, but I am interrested to various languages.


Dňa 20. 12. 2020 o 14:32 Daniel Gartmann napísal(a):

 

Hello

 

I have been asked to help a blind University student who is studying Japanese. The goal is to be able to read on a Braille display connected to a Windows10 computer.

 

Anybody with experience in studying Japanese on a system in e.g. English or some other language?

 

I have been told that in order for Japanese Braille to work properly, the entire computer needs to be in Japanese. We are using the computer either in Danish or in English.

 

I tried running a portable copy of NVDA from www.nvda.jp, but it didn’t start right away.

 

So, hope someone with experience in this would be willing to share their knowledge.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Daniel

 


Dan Miner
 

I would like to know this as well because I am trying to teach myself Japanese.  As I understand it, the braille system is based on kana.  NVDA I believe uses the louis braille library and so it might be as easy as loading that “code page” and converting the text into some braille format just like we do for English.  But it would be nice to have automagic switching in a web page with a language markup on the passages.

Anyway, I would like to know more about this too.
    Dan


On Dec 20, 2020, at 6:52 AM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@...> wrote:



OK.

Here is one problem:

Japanese has a japanese braille, but It is not implemented to NVDA, because of three alphabets, which are used in Japanese.

About speech synthesizers, I know that Windows has some japanese voices, but I don't know, how to new japanese keyboard layout.

I have asked this last question, because keys to switch keyboard layout were changed. I think on japanese characters, not switch from one language to another language. For example, I would like to switch from Hiragana to Katakana and Romaji. About Kanji letters, You can press twice time spacebar and select one kanji letter, press enter and It'll be written down.

That's everything, which I know about japanese keyboard layout.

Last note:

I am from Slovakia, not from Japan, but I am interrested to various languages.


Dňa 20. 12. 2020 o 14:32 Daniel Gartmann napísal(a):

 

Hello

 

I have been asked to help a blind University student who is studying Japanese. The goal is to be able to read on a Braille display connected to a Windows10 computer.

 

Anybody with experience in studying Japanese on a system in e.g. English or some other language?

 

I have been told that in order for Japanese Braille to work properly, the entire computer needs to be in Japanese. We are using the computer either in Danish or in English.

 

I tried running a portable copy of NVDA from www.nvda.jp, but it didn’t start right away.

 

So, hope someone with experience in this would be willing to share their knowledge.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Daniel

 


Clement Chou
 

I'm fluent in Japanese and use NVDA in Japanese environments
regularly. Japanese braille is indeed supported. So long as the
braille display is connected and the Japanese version of NVDA is
instaled, it should work. I had the base version of NVDA on my
computer originally then slapped the Japanese one on top of it. Feel
free to contact me off list or ask the student to contact me, and I'd
love to try and help.
The command to switch between hiragana and katana is still
ctrl+capslock for hiragana and alt+capslock for Katakana. Typing in
Japanese is easy to do, provided you've studied Kanji and know the one
you want, because the descriptions of the candidate are all in
Japanese of course. NVDAJP's character description activated with
numpad 2 on the desktop keyboard layout is also very useful for
learning what kanji is used in a word.

For synthesizers, thereare tons of them out there, but I'd recommend
either any of the windows 1 core voices or protalker as a starting
point since they're both free.

On 12/20/20, Dan Miner via groups.io <dminer84=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to know this as well because I am trying to teach myself
Japanese. As I understand it, the braille system is based on kana. NVDA I
believe uses the louis braille library and so it might be as easy as loading
that “code page” and converting the text into some braille format just like
we do for English. But it would be nice to have automagic switching in a
web page with a language markup on the passages.

Anyway, I would like to know more about this too.
Dan


On Dec 20, 2020, at 6:52 AM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:


OK.

Here is one problem:

Japanese has a japanese braille, but It is not implemented to NVDA,
because of three alphabets, which are used in Japanese.

About speech synthesizers, I know that Windows has some japanese voices,
but I don't know, how to new japanese keyboard layout.

I have asked this last question, because keys to switch keyboard layout
were changed. I think on japanese characters, not switch from one language
to another language. For example, I would like to switch from Hiragana to
Katakana and Romaji. About Kanji letters, You can press twice time
spacebar and select one kanji letter, press enter and It'll be written
down.

That's everything, which I know about japanese keyboard layout.

Last note:

I am from Slovakia, not from Japan, but I am interrested to various
languages.



Dňa 20. 12. 2020 o 14:32 Daniel Gartmann napísal(a):

Hello

I have been asked to help a blind University student who is studying
Japanese. The goal is to be able to read on a Braille display connected
to a Windows10 computer.

Anybody with experience in studying Japanese on a system in e.g. English
or some other language?

I have been told that in order for Japanese Braille to work properly, the
entire computer needs to be in Japanese. We are using the computer either
in Danish or in English.

I tried running a portable copy of NVDA from www.nvda.jp, but it didn’t
start right away.

So, hope someone with experience in this would be willing to share their
knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel





Daniel Gartmann <dgartmann@...>
 

That is very interesting.

When you say "Japanese environments". Do you mean a computer that is solely in Japanese, or are you using a computer that comes with English?

Daniel


-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> På vegne af Clement Chou
Sendt: 20. december 2020 19:29
Til: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Emne: Re: [nvda] How to study Japanese with NVDA?

I'm fluent in Japanese and use NVDA in Japanese environments regularly. Japanese braille is indeed supported. So long as the braille display is connected and the Japanese version of NVDA is instaled, it should work. I had the base version of NVDA on my computer originally then slapped the Japanese one on top of it. Feel free to contact me off list or ask the student to contact me, and I'd love to try and help.
The command to switch between hiragana and katana is still
ctrl+capslock for hiragana and alt+capslock for Katakana. Typing in
Japanese is easy to do, provided you've studied Kanji and know the one you want, because the descriptions of the candidate are all in Japanese of course. NVDAJP's character description activated with numpad 2 on the desktop keyboard layout is also very useful for learning what kanji is used in a word.

For synthesizers, thereare tons of them out there, but I'd recommend either any of the windows 1 core voices or protalker as a starting point since they're both free.

On 12/20/20, Dan Miner via groups.io <dminer84=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to know this as well because I am trying to teach myself
Japanese. As I understand it, the braille system is based on kana.
NVDA I believe uses the louis braille library and so it might be as
easy as loading that “code page” and converting the text into some
braille format just like we do for English. But it would be nice to
have automagic switching in a web page with a language markup on the passages.

Anyway, I would like to know more about this too.
Dan


On Dec 20, 2020, at 6:52 AM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:


OK.

Here is one problem:

Japanese has a japanese braille, but It is not implemented to NVDA,
because of three alphabets, which are used in Japanese.

About speech synthesizers, I know that Windows has some japanese
voices, but I don't know, how to new japanese keyboard layout.

I have asked this last question, because keys to switch keyboard
layout were changed. I think on japanese characters, not switch from
one language to another language. For example, I would like to switch
from Hiragana to Katakana and Romaji. About Kanji letters, You can
press twice time spacebar and select one kanji letter, press enter
and It'll be written down.

That's everything, which I know about japanese keyboard layout.

Last note:

I am from Slovakia, not from Japan, but I am interrested to various
languages.



Dňa 20. 12. 2020 o 14:32 Daniel Gartmann napísal(a):

Hello

I have been asked to help a blind University student who is studying
Japanese. The goal is to be able to read on a Braille display
connected to a Windows10 computer.

Anybody with experience in studying Japanese on a system in e.g.
English or some other language?

I have been told that in order for Japanese Braille to work
properly, the entire computer needs to be in Japanese. We are using
the computer either in Danish or in English.

I tried running a portable copy of NVDA from
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nvda.jp%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C77a6cb0cd7be431412c608d8a5151a32%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637440857330956458%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=P2rG7ihSEvs4MMSlzzVTo4Vi%2B3OT1URrqCLQTRckcgY%3D&amp;reserved=0, but it didn’t start right away.

So, hope someone with experience in this would be willing to share
their knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel





 

Hmph, well you will need the languages installed in windows reaginal settings and language, have the japanese keyboard loaded, and mayve set japanese as your input and maybe display language I don't know exactly.

Switch everything to japanese and then I guess switch the voice of nvda to japanese in espeak or other synth.

If you mean run both, there are translation addons but if you want to run things side by side then thats beyond me.

I only use english and usually delete all the extra junk off the system.

There are resources available to handle one of the other but I have never done a side by side.



On 21/12/2020 2:32 am, Daniel Gartmann wrote:

 

Hello

 

I have been asked to help a blind University student who is studying Japanese. The goal is to be able to read on a Braille display connected to a Windows10 computer.

 

Anybody with experience in studying Japanese on a system in e.g. English or some other language?

 

I have been told that in order for Japanese Braille to work properly, the entire computer needs to be in Japanese. We are using the computer either in Danish or in English.

 

I tried running a portable copy of NVDA from www.nvda.jp, but it didn’t start right away.

 

So, hope someone with experience in this would be willing to share their knowledge.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Daniel

 


Clement Chou
 

Sorry. I meant environments as in talking to people, Japanese websites
and programs, etc. My computer is set to English by default. All you
need to is install the Japanese language pack. There's no need to
switch display language or anything that complicated. Install the
pack, and make sure Japanese is one of your selected input languages.
You can use both languages side by side just fine. Installing the
Japanese language packs will also let you access the one core voices.

On 12/20/20, Daniel Gartmann <dgartmann@outlook.com> wrote:

That is very interesting.

When you say "Japanese environments". Do you mean a computer that is solely
in Japanese, or are you using a computer that comes with English?

Daniel


-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> På vegne af Clement Chou
Sendt: 20. december 2020 19:29
Til: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Emne: Re: [nvda] How to study Japanese with NVDA?

I'm fluent in Japanese and use NVDA in Japanese environments regularly.
Japanese braille is indeed supported. So long as the braille display is
connected and the Japanese version of NVDA is instaled, it should work. I
had the base version of NVDA on my computer originally then slapped the
Japanese one on top of it. Feel free to contact me off list or ask the
student to contact me, and I'd love to try and help.
The command to switch between hiragana and katana is still
ctrl+capslock for hiragana and alt+capslock for Katakana. Typing in
Japanese is easy to do, provided you've studied Kanji and know the one you
want, because the descriptions of the candidate are all in Japanese of
course. NVDAJP's character description activated with numpad 2 on the
desktop keyboard layout is also very useful for learning what kanji is used
in a word.

For synthesizers, thereare tons of them out there, but I'd recommend either
any of the windows 1 core voices or protalker as a starting point since
they're both free.

On 12/20/20, Dan Miner via groups.io <dminer84=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to know this as well because I am trying to teach myself
Japanese. As I understand it, the braille system is based on kana.
NVDA I believe uses the louis braille library and so it might be as
easy as loading that “code page” and converting the text into some
braille format just like we do for English. But it would be nice to
have automagic switching in a web page with a language markup on the
passages.

Anyway, I would like to know more about this too.
Dan


On Dec 20, 2020, at 6:52 AM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:


OK.

Here is one problem:

Japanese has a japanese braille, but It is not implemented to NVDA,
because of three alphabets, which are used in Japanese.

About speech synthesizers, I know that Windows has some japanese
voices, but I don't know, how to new japanese keyboard layout.

I have asked this last question, because keys to switch keyboard
layout were changed. I think on japanese characters, not switch from
one language to another language. For example, I would like to switch
from Hiragana to Katakana and Romaji. About Kanji letters, You can
press twice time spacebar and select one kanji letter, press enter
and It'll be written down.

That's everything, which I know about japanese keyboard layout.

Last note:

I am from Slovakia, not from Japan, but I am interrested to various
languages.



Dňa 20. 12. 2020 o 14:32 Daniel Gartmann napísal(a):

Hello

I have been asked to help a blind University student who is studying
Japanese. The goal is to be able to read on a Braille display
connected to a Windows10 computer.

Anybody with experience in studying Japanese on a system in e.g.
English or some other language?

I have been told that in order for Japanese Braille to work
properly, the entire computer needs to be in Japanese. We are using
the computer either in Danish or in English.

I tried running a portable copy of NVDA from
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nvda.jp%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C77a6cb0cd7be431412c608d8a5151a32%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637440857330956458%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=P2rG7ihSEvs4MMSlzzVTo4Vi%2B3OT1URrqCLQTRckcgY%3D&amp;reserved=0,
but it didn’t start right away.

So, hope someone with experience in this would be willing to share
their knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel














Josh Kennedy
 

The best way to study Japanese with a braille display is by using an iPhone or an iPad. Apple has fully implemented Japanese into its braille tables for youth with braille displays.


Clement Chou
 

Not true. Again, see messages above. Braille support for the Japanese
languages is supported by NVDA.

On 12/21/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
The best way to study Japanese with a braille display is by using an iPhone
or an iPad. Apple has fully implemented Japanese into its braille tables for
youth with braille displays.






Clement Chou
 

Sorry, should clarify. Meant to say that it's not entrely true that an
iphone or iPad is the best way to study Japanese... because Japanese
language support is in NVDA. Typing is also much easier on a computer
though admittedly I haven't played around much with Kanji selection on
an iphone. :) The mobile devices help though once you have an
understanding of Japanese braille and want to read something on the
go.

On 12/21/20, Clement Chou <chou.clement@gmail.com> wrote:
Not true. Again, see messages above. Braille support for the Japanese
languages is supported by NVDA.

On 12/21/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
The best way to study Japanese with a braille display is by using an
iPhone
or an iPad. Apple has fully implemented Japanese into its braille tables
for
youth with braille displays.