Advice wanted: Accessible twain document cameras that work with NVDA?

Mobeen Iqbal

Hello Everyone.

I am wondering if anyone can help with the following. I am looking for a document camera as desk space is limited. I do not want a camera which is tied to any specific software if it can be helped. I have previously tried solutions from visionaid and the Perl camera from freedom scientific, but I was never able to get them working with any software other than the software the devices come with.

I have seen document cameras for sale on Amazon, but it's unclear from the description if any of them work with scanning software such as DocuScan, Free OCR, Kurzweil etc. I don't mind what software the camera uses as long as it's accessible and performs OCR, and the unit is reasonably well built and isn't too pricey. does anyone have any ideas?

Very best wishes,

Mo.

Richard Kuzma

Good morning,
I know you said desk space is limited,
But if you get an inexpensive flatbed scanner all you need software wise is what is called a twain driver and the other software should see it transparently.
I have good luck with canon scanners and have picked up several off ebay.
Also someone might hae an older all in one printer that the printer is no longer working and you should be able to just use the scanner part.
Might be a free/inexpensive solution.
Sorry as I see you said desk space is limited, but just some suggestions.
Also, if you are looking for a low cost way to scan the stuff, , tex cloner is around 100 or so.
It is by premier literacy but not sure if they are still around or not.

I am wondering if anyone can help with the following. I am looking for a document camera as desk space is limited. I do not want a camera which is tied to any specific software if it can be helped. I have previously tried solutions from visionaid and the Perl camera from freedom scientific, but I was never able to get them working with any software other than the software the devices come with.

I have seen document cameras for sale on Amazon, but it's unclear from the description if any of them work with scanning software such as DocuScan, Free OCR, Kurzweil etc. I don't mind what software the camera uses as long as it's accessible and performs OCR, and the unit is reasonably well built and isn't too pricey. does anyone have any ideas?

Very best wishes,

Mo.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Mo.

Have you got a cell phone or smart phone with a camera. On the phone I have hear I have apps that can take a picture then ocr it to text then I can save it to other places or plug it into the computer and take the files off it in text form it would depend on the camera on the phone usually a 8mp is recommended for saying taking a picture of a form then ocring it to text.

there are both free and paid apps that can do that and I guess it would depend on the platform of your phone and what is in the app store just another idea.

Gene nz

On 21/12/2020 3:11 am, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:
Hello Everyone.

I am wondering if anyone can help with the following. I am looking for a document camera as desk space is limited. I do not want a camera which is tied to any specific software if it can be helped. I have previously tried solutions from visionaid and the Perl camera from freedom scientific, but I was never able to get them working with any software other than the software the devices come with.

I have seen document cameras for sale on Amazon, but it's unclear from the description if any of them work with scanning software such as DocuScan, Free OCR, Kurzweil etc. I don't mind what software the camera uses as long as it's accessible and performs OCR, and the unit is reasonably well built and isn't too pricey. does anyone have any ideas?

Very best wishes,

Mo.

Chris Smart

I have a barely used Plustech Opticbook 4800 flatbed scanner here. Does anyone think I will ever find a buyer for it? Just about everybody's scanning/OCR needs are being met by the various smartphone apps these days. Trying to sell this is harder than trying to sell a non-interpoint Braille embosser. LOL

On 2020-12-20 3:40 p.m., hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi Mo.

[...]

Rob Hudson

I love those scanners. Too bad I cant afford it lol.

On 2020-12-20 3:40 p.m., hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi Mo.

[...]

Hi rob.

Please get in touch if that changes. (grin) I'm asking $350 US or best offer.

On 2020-12-20 3:40 p.m., hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi Mo.

[...]

Have you tried on the buy and sell lists for blind people? Such a scanner isn't just an ordinary scanner. It is specifically designed for scanning books without damaging the binding. I don't know how good using a camera is for long scanning jobs like books.

You might have better luck if you had information, if it is true, regarding the superiority of using a book scanner than a camera for scanning a book.

Then, there are sighted people who want to digitize their book collections and who want to use a book scanner. there may be some place you might post an ad to get the notice of those who want to digitize their book collections..

On 2020-12-20 3:40 p.m., hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi Mo.

[...]

Hi Gene.

So far, I've only tried advertising on Blind Bargains, Twitter, and a couple of assistive devices groups on Facebook.

Which mailing lists would you recommend?

thanks

Chris

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Smart

On 2020-12-20 3:40 p.m., hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi Mo.

[...]

I don't follow buy and sell lists. Others may have suggestions.

This thread may be stopped soon so you may need to join the NVDA chat list to get suggestions.

On 2020-12-20 3:40 p.m., hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi Mo.

[...]

Actually you can.

Now you can just get a multifunction device.

Everything from the lowest inkjet to laser will have scan, fax, etc.

They do have stripped down ocr software, some have full versions or full versions registered for it.

The cheapest units have no software at all.

On 2020-12-20 3:40 p.m., hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi Mo.

[...]

.

Well I don't have suggestions for actual devices.

However I just would like to remind all, that due to covid international shipping is a joke and prices really high.

Last year while ordering rare christ mas shopping items I spent a lot, now even if you had the cash to pay for shipping chances are they would take time to get here then be stuck at the docks.

And now with the latest australia cluster the restrictions on borders have gotten a lot more harsher.

So now its longer.

Right now I wouldn't go international at least not right now.

On 2020-12-20 3:40 p.m., hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi Mo.

[...]

Milos Przic

Hello,
Since February I have been using a book scanner. It is an Iris Book scanner. Basically it is a small device, as long as the width of an a4 size paper. You put it on a page and drive it across the page. You can scan the document as a pdf, multi-page pdf or jpg into its memory, but also you can install its software for OCR, which works pretty well with NVDA, coppy a scanned page to clipboard or wherever you want and just read in realtime. It is how I use it, though as I said you can also scan documents on an sd card and then do an OCR with whichever software you want. I use it with its software as I like reading in realtime, because if a page is badly scanned I can just repeat it and read again. Also, for my research assignments, I must go to libraries and stuff so carying the laptop and the scanner, as the Iris one, turned out very practical.
Best,
          Miloš

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi.

Many thanks to everyone who responded to this query. There were certainly some very interesting suggestions. I have decided to go with a flatbed scanner for the time being, though I am still on the lookout for a document camera. If I test one, I will of course report back to the list.

Very best wishes,

Mo.