problem with tab navigation in certain situations

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

Hi all,
I'm having a problem with navigation by tab in certain situations. The
below is copied from NVDA's speech viewer as I read an email from
Groupon. For this example, I've turned on speak command keys so I
don't have to remember where I hit what, but I usually leave that off.
Usually, with System Access in both Gmail's web interface and in
Outlook, and with NVDA in Outlook, emails like this work fine, but not
with Gmail on the web and NVDA.
GROUPON® graphic link
tab
url q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.groupo… graphic link link
tab
numpad 2
down arrow
link link graphic url q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.groupo…
tab
Synthetic Mink Lash Extensions link
Vanity Lash Lounge   ⋅   Over 50 Bought
   (1,922 ratings)
$200 $93 link
tab
numpad 2
down arrow
link Vanity Lash Lounge
tab
View Deal link link
tab
tab
url q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.groupo… graphic link link
tab
tab
tab
numpad 2
down arrow
link link graphic Up to 82% Off Dental Checkups
tab
Dental Checkups
Advanced Dental Solutions
link link
tab
View Deal link link link
tab
tab
numpad 2
down arrow
link
tab
Up to 42% Off Activities at Elevated Sportz graphic link
Trampoline Park Activities
Elevated Sportz
link Over 350 Bought
  (1,891 ratings)
$25 $15 View Deal link link link
tab
tab
Trampoline Park Activities
Elevated Sportz
link link
tab
View Deal link link link
tab
tab
numpad 2
down arrow
link
tab
Up to 42% Off Roof Cleaning from Renewal Cleaning graphic link
Roof Blow-Off with Inspection
Renewal Cleaning
link Over 100 Bought
  (37 ratings)
$600 $348 View Deal link link link
tab
tab
Roof Blow-Off with Inspection
Renewal Cleaning
link link
tab
View Deal link link link
tab
tab
tab
numpad 2
down arrow
link
tab
34% Off Botox at The Renewal Center in Mukilteo graphic link Botox
The Renewal Center
link Over 50 Bought
  (271 ratings)
$350 $230 View Deal link link link
tab
tab
Botox
The Renewal Center
link link
tab
View Deal link link link
tab
tab
tab
Bob

Gene

Are you saying that the problem is that you have to press tab more than once to move to the next link? Regardless of why that is, use k to move by link and see if that solves the problem.

[...]

I'll have to try that, seems like a decent workaround. I'm used to
navigating these messages by quickly tabbing through them, so that
will take some getting used to. Pressing tab multiple times isn't in
itself the problem though that should be addressed as well, the real
problem is that I can't seem to use the tab key consistently when
navigating in these situations.

[...]

But what does that mean? I could tell nothing bhy looking at the speech record except that it appeared you pressed tab more than once with no response and then you used read to end and then tabbed. What is the specific problem? What isn't consistent and what movements aren't as expected.

[...]

I didn't use read to end, I used the down arrows to move past the
point I couldn't get to using tab. The issue is that I shouldn't have
to press anything but tab if this was working properly.

[...]

Are you saying that tab stops moving you? I don't know why and there may be a problem with the way NVDA works with the site. I don't know just how you are trying to move. if by link, try k. If you want to move in other ways, we can discuss other ways. Why did you press numpad 2 before pressing down arrow?

Also, what browser are you using? Though there may be a problem, we don't know if the problem would still occur with another browser.

[...]

That's what it appears, though I'd have to do more thorough testing to
see if that's what is actually happening. If I remember right, and
what I posted will back me up, I pressed tab several times before
trying down arrow. As for why I pressed numpad 2 before I pressed down
arrow, this may be a minor bug with the way NVDA speaks commands.
Because it's what I'm used to with JAWS and System Access, I am
running the Numpad Nav Mode add-on, so using those arrow keys. If
those are being treated as arrow keys, I'm not sure why NVDA is still
speaking them as numpad as well.

[...]

Laz

This seems likely. I have one site on which tab does nothing. It's the
site where I enter in orders from our customers. I used to be able to
tab through and fill in the information in the edit fields. When NVDA
started to have this issue I dfound that I could use Narrator to tab
through the fields and it worked fine. I could quit Narrator and start
up NVDA and NVDA would then function using the tab key. That didn't
last very long though and I now have to use a combination of the k key
for links and e for edit fields which adds more klunkiness to what
used to work simply in the past with NVDA.

It's just that one site where this is now an issue.

Laz

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com