SPSS and NVDA

William

Hi,

I could not find relevant information on whether SPSS is accessible using NVDA.

Is there any person here has experience in using SPSS with NVDA?

Do you have any information on how I should do with it?

Thanks.

If you have not already done so, have a look at these topics returned from a group archive search:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search?ev=0&q=SPSS&ct=1

SPSS has been discussed on a number of occasions, but I cannot recall what the ultimate conclusion(s) were about it and accessibility.

William

Brian,

Thanks.

In fact before posting this topic, I have searched this topics on the archive and found some relevant discussions in the past.

Recently I came across a post on Reddit mentioned that SPSS is now accessible with JAWS, so I wanna ask if someone here have experience with this software.

Brian Vogel 於 30/12/2020 23:47 寫道:

If you have not already done so, have a look at these topics returned from a group archive search:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search?ev=0&q=SPSS&ct=1

SPSS has been discussed on a number of occasions, but I cannot recall what the ultimate conclusion(s) were about it and accessibility.

William,

          You're quite welcome.  I have to say that my experience with SPSS in the very, very distant past (about 40 years ago), and as a sighted computer science major, showed it to be more than a little inaccessible, and I don't mean in the screen reader sense.  But, of course, since stats was "not my thing" I was less than motivated to dig deeply.

           It's amazing how long SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences - or at least I presume that's your reference) has been around.  I think it's almost as old as I am!

Sharad Koirala

hi,

my work also requires regular use of SPSS which I have been skipping on my own loss.

I had raised the issue about it in the NVDAcon Asia which happened around 2015-16 where Joseph Lee was very elaborate in answering the question but the technicalities could not go into my head :) (I am not a wise tech user). Anyway, the conclusion was that SPSS was not accessible with NVDA and changes were to be made by both IBM (the developer of SPSS) and NVDA to make it usable with a screen reader.

Since then, I have been waiting for the development.

Sincerely yours,
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

William

In fact, I can try doing the calculation of data using python, numpy and pandas.

But the truth is that, Acadamic world require acadamic paper to be completed based on SPSS.

But if SPSS is not accessible, we visually impaired are forced to be excluded from this area.

In fact the same case apply to qualitative study software.

Brian Vogel 於 31/12/2020 11:17 寫道:

William,

          You're quite welcome.  I have to say that my experience with SPSS in the very, very distant past (about 40 years ago), and as a sighted computer science major, showed it to be more than a little inaccessible, and I don't mean in the screen reader sense.  But, of course, since stats was "not my thing" I was less than motivated to dig deeply.

           It's amazing how long SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences - or at least I presume that's your reference) has been around.  I think it's almost as old as I am!

William

Well, you mentioned that you need to use SPSSS regularly, so how do you use it if it is not accessible?

harad Koirala 於 31/12/2020 11:17 寫道:

hi,

my work also requires regular use of SPSS which I have been skipping on my own loss.

I had raised the issue about it in the NVDAcon Asia which happened around 2015-16 where Joseph Lee was very elaborate in answering the question but the technicalities could not go into my head :) (I am not a wise tech user). Anyway, the conclusion was that SPSS was not accessible with NVDA and changes were to be made by both IBM (the developer of SPSS) and NVDA to make it usable with a screen reader.

Since then, I have been waiting for the development.

Sincerely yours,
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

Sharad Koirala

hi william,
I have been skipping the part of works that use SPSS as much as
possible and when it is not possible I ask my sighted friends to do
the calculations and give me the final analyses in a word document.
thanks to them for preparing tables of the results and providing it to
me.

Enjoy,

--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

mohammad suliman

Hello all,

From what I have heard in the past, SPSS is partially accessible. Haven't tested that my self, so can't provide  my experience. I think that there where some accessibility changes in recent years, because a friend of mine has told me that the software wasn't accessible. However, the issue is, since this program is java based, then to have it accessible, you need to enable and configure the so called Java Access Bridge. I am welling to help with this because I have done this a few years a go, I need to remind myself with the details, but this is ok. I also can suggest to try to ask the same question on the blind math list, I think they will be more helpful to you. Let me know if you need help with joining or something else.

All the best!
Mohammad

On 12/31/20, William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
> Well, you mentioned that you need to use SPSSS regularly, so how do you
> use it if it is not accessible?
>

> harad Koirala 於 31/12/2020 11:17 寫道:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> my work also requires regular use of SPSS which I have been skipping on my
>> own loss.
>>
>> I had raised the issue about it in the NVDAcon Asia which happened around
>> 2015-16 where Joseph Lee was very elaborate in answering the question but
>> the technicalities could not go into my head :) (I am not a wise tech
>> user). Anyway, the conclusion was that SPSS was not accessible with NVDA
>> and changes were to be made by both IBM (the developer of SPSS) and NVDA
>> to make it usable with a screen reader.
>>
>> Since then, I have been waiting for the development.
>>
>> Sincerely yours,
>> Dr. Sharad Koirala
>> Lecturer
>> Department of Community Medicine
>> Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

William

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

First of all, how to deal with java access bridge? do I have to set up something or install something?

Second, yes, I would like to join the math mailing list. Could I

mohammad suliman 於 2/1/2021 1:37 寫道:

Hello all,

From what I have heard in the past, SPSS is partially accessible. Haven't tested that my self, so can't provide  my experience. I think that there where some accessibility changes in recent years, because a friend of mine has told me that the software wasn't accessible. However, the issue is, since this program is java based, then to have it accessible, you need to enable and configure the so called Java Access Bridge. I am welling to help with this because I have done this a few years a go, I need to remind myself with the details, but this is ok. I also can suggest to try to ask the same question on the blind math list, I think they will be more helpful to you. Let me know if you need help with joining or something else.

All the best!
Mohammad
On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 at 11:36 Sharad Koirala <shakoirala@...> wrote:
hi william,
I have been skipping the part of works that use SPSS as much as
possible and when it is not possible I ask my sighted friends to do
the calculations and give me the final analyses in a word document.
thanks to them for preparing tables of the results and providing it to
me.

Enjoy,

On 12/31/20, William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
> Well, you mentioned that you need to use SPSSS regularly, so how do you
> use it if it is not accessible?
>

> harad Koirala 於 31/12/2020 11:17 寫道:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> my work also requires regular use of SPSS which I have been skipping on my
>> own loss.
>>
>> I had raised the issue about it in the NVDAcon Asia which happened around
>> 2015-16 where Joseph Lee was very elaborate in answering the question but
>> the technicalities could not go into my head :) (I am not a wise tech
>> user). Anyway, the conclusion was that SPSS was not accessible with NVDA
>> and changes were to be made by both IBM (the developer of SPSS) and NVDA
>> to make it usable with a screen reader.
>>
>> Since then, I have been waiting for the development.
>>
>> Sincerely yours,
>> Dr. Sharad Koirala
>> Lecturer
>> Department of Community Medicine
>> Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

If anyone happens to know of a source other than Oracle for the latest ZIP file for the installer for Java Access Bridge please share it.  This is the Oracle page on Installing Java Access Bridge v2.0.2.  When you follow the link to download, you must have an Oracle Account to log in, which I created, but when you get to what should be the download page you get the message:
----
This site is experiencing technical difficulty. We are aware of the issue and are working as quick as possible to correct the issue.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

To speak with an Oracle sales representative: 1.800.ORACLE1.

To contact Oracle Corporate Headquarters from anywhere in the world: 1.650.506.7000.

To get technical support in the United States: 1.800.633.0738.

----

Well, they've been aware of this since at least early November, which is when I first attempted to obtain Java Access Bridge and had a lengthy exchange with Oracle Support by phone after going through what felt like several circles of hell in the Inferno.  The gentleman I finally dealt with seemed sincerely interested in helping, and was able to replicate this error, and even called me back once.  After that, the ball was dropped.

Believe it or not, I am getting an error message related to Java Access Bridge from the installer for Crucial Storage Executive, their control utility for many of their SSDs.  I recently got one and cannot get this software to install because I have no Java Access Bridge and Oracle has made it impossible to obtain it.

If anyone reading here happens to have contacts inside Oracle whose cages could be rattled please consider this a request from me to do that rattling.  I find it almost criminal that an issue like this, which should have a simple solution, has gone unaddressed for several months after being reported directly to support and to a real person in support.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Hi,

NVDA should come with JAB (since a recent release).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

Bryani will se what I can do.

[...]

Lukasz Golonka

Judging from the version number Java Access Bridge on that page is
extremely old and should not be used unless you need compatibility with
very old versions of Java.
Since Java 7 or Java 8 (can't recall specific version number) Access
Bridge installs itself when installing JDK / JRE and just need to be
activated in control panel.

--
Regards
Lukasz

On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 08:07:51 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

If anyone happens to know of a source other than Oracle for the latest ZIP file for the installer for Java Access Bridge please share it.  This is the Oracle page on <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/accessbridge/2.0.2/setup.htm>Installing Java Access Bridge v2.0.2.  When you follow the link to download, you must have an Oracle Account to log in, which I created, but when you get to what should be the download page you get the message:
----

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 01:55 PM, Lukasz Golonka wrote:
Since Java 7 or Java 8 (can't recall specific version number) Access
Bridge installs itself when installing JDK / JRE and just need to be
activated in control panel.
-
Well, if someone can tell me exactly where in Java's settings, I'd appreciate it, because I sure as heck can't find it.  I have Java 8, Update 271, from November 2020 installed on my system.  There's nothing under the Advanced settings for Java Access Bridge that I saw, and none of the other tabs seems to have this, either.

Also, and I know I'm breaking group protocol here, I want to post the log (which is relatively short) that I get when I attempt to start Crucial Storage Executive, which seems to point to an issue with Java accessibility, whether it's truly access bridge or not.  It's not perfectly clear, but I'd have to believe it is since AccessBridge is mentioned.  I do this only because this is, to my mind, indirectly tied in to the NVDA accessibility for SPSS that was under discussion, and could occur in other Java-based contexts.  What follows is the log, so you can stop reading here if you're not "versed in logs."
-----------------
2020-11-15 00:50:54,343 [main] INFO  STDOUT - Configured default logger at log level INFO
2020-11-15 00:50:54,722 [main] ERROR STDERR - Exception in thread "main"
2020-11-15 00:50:54,724 [main] ERROR STDERR - java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not found: com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
2020-11-15 00:50:54,725 [main] ERROR STDERR - at java.awt.Toolkit.loadAssistiveTechnologies(Toolkit.java:807)
2020-11-15 00:50:54,726 [main] ERROR STDERR - at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:886)
2020-11-15 00:50:54,726 [main] ERROR STDERR - at javax.swing.UIManager.<clinit>(UIManager.java:380)
2020-11-15 00:50:54,727 [main] ERROR STDERR - at com.micron.msd.gui.GUI.launch(GUI.java:120)
2020-11-15 00:50:54,727 [main] ERROR STDERR - at com.micron.msd.gui.GUI.main(GUI.java:93)
2021-01-02 14:09:22,017 [main] INFO  STDOUT - Configured default logger at log level INFO
2021-01-02 14:09:22,292 [main] ERROR STDERR - Exception in thread "main"
2021-01-02 14:09:22,293 [main] ERROR STDERR - java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not found: com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
2021-01-02 14:09:22,294 [main] ERROR STDERR - at java.awt.Toolkit.loadAssistiveTechnologies(Toolkit.java:807)
2021-01-02 14:09:22,294 [main] ERROR STDERR - at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:886)
2021-01-02 14:09:22,294 [main] ERROR STDERR - at javax.swing.UIManager.<clinit>(UIManager.java:380)
2021-01-02 14:09:22,294 [main] ERROR STDERR - at com.micron.msd.gui.GUI.launch(GUI.java:120)
2021-01-02 14:09:22,294 [main] ERROR STDERR - at com.micron.msd.gui.GUI.main(GUI.java:93)
-----------------

       ~ Brian Vogel

Lukasz Golonka

On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 11:14:18 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, if someone can tell me exactly where in Java's settings, I'd appreciate it, because I sure as heck can't find it.  I have Java 8, Update 271, from November 2020 installed on my system.  There's nothing under the Advanced settings for Java Access Bridge that I saw, and none of the other tabs seems to have this, either.
Sorry I probably should've been more specific I ment Windows control
panel. I don't have any Windows 10 system handy here, but I'll assume
for the moment that this has not changed much from Windows 7. You need
to:

- Open Windows control panel the old classic one.
- Open ease of access center
- Click a link which says 'Use your computer without a screen;
- Check a checkbox called ''Enable Java Access Bridge'
- Click ok, and restart your computer.

--
Regards
Lukasz

Lukasz,

        Thank you, very much.  I definitely would never have thought to look in the Ease of Access settings, and buried under the Use your computer without a screen link, for enabling Java Access Bridge.  It was there exactly as you stated, and I am on Windows 10 Version 20H2.

         I'm actually shocked that this does not show up in some obvious spot in the actual Java settings accessed from Control Panel, but I'll be darned if I could find it when I checked.

         I'm still getting the error from Crucial Storage Executive, but I have not restarted my system yet because tweaking that setting did not indicate this was necessary.  But I've long ago learned that sometimes certain settings are not recognized unless they were in place at the immediately previous boot time.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Lukasz Golonka

On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 12:12:02 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

Lukasz,

        Thank you, very much.  I definitely would never have thought to look in the Ease of Access settings, and buried under the Use your computer without a screen link, for enabling Java Access Bridge.  It was there exactly as you stated, and I am on Windows 10 Version 20H2.
Back in the day when Oracle actually cared about Java on desktop it was
documented on their website, no idea how this is now.

         I'm actually shocked that this does not show up in some obvious spot in the actual Java settings accessed from Control Panel, but I'll be darned if I could find it when I checked.
This is quite logical - without Access Bridge enabled Java control panel
is not accessible so placing a control for enabling it there would not
work for anyone using a screen reader.

         I'm still getting the error from Crucial Storage Executive, but I have not restarted my system yet because tweaking that setting did not indicate this was necessary.  But I've long ago learned that sometimes certain settings are not recognized unless they were in place at the immediately previous boot time.
This one definitely requires a restart, or at least logging out and back
in to apply properly.
Looking at your log for Crucial Storage executive however I very much
doubt having Java Access Bridge enabled would improve the situation. TO
me it looks like whatever version of Java is bundled with CSE has
incomplete installation of Access Bridge.

--
Regards
Lukasz

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 03:26 PM, Lukasz Golonka wrote:
This is quite logical - without Access Bridge enabled Java control panel is not accessible so placing a control for enabling it there would not work for anyone using a screen reader.
-
While I'm not doubting you, this is even more bizarre.  That control panel entry, when opened, presents like virtually any other, and uses a Windows style, with tabs, that predates Windows 10 by years.  Why it should behave any differently is a mystery.

And even if it is not accessible, there are many sighted techs who set up machines for use with screen readers.  Having at least "two roads to Rome" for this makes sense to me.

Thanks also for the tip about CSE, which I suspect is right.  A restart didn't fix things, and I have since uninstalled.  I will eventually restart and reinstall, but since I have done that before, to no avail, I'm really not expecting a different result now.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Lukasz Golonka

On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 13:26:42 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

While I'm not doubting you, this is even more bizarre.  That control panel entry, when opened, presents like virtually any other, and uses a Windows style, with tabs, that predates Windows 10 by years.  Why it should behave any differently is a mystery.
It's simply written in Java and without Access Bridge enabled no app
using Sphinx (default library for building GUI's in Java) can
communicate with screen readers.

Thanks also for the tip about CSE, which I suspect is right.  A restart didn't fix things, and I have since uninstalled.  I will eventually restart and reinstall, but since I have done that before, to no avail, I'm really not expecting a different result now.
Assuming that you want CSE to just run and you don't care about it being
accessible to screen readers you probably can just disable Java Access
Bridge from control panel, delete the file '.accessibility.properties'
from your %userprofile% and then try running CSE again. Make sure not to
launch NVDA after you do the disabling / deleting because it activates
JAB by default without any way to disable it.

--
Regards
Lukasz