Questions regarding SwitchSynth

Tyler Spivey

The appeal is that any accidental changes to speech rate, keyboard echo, or any other NVDA setting will not become permanently locked into that profile.
Imagine this: you create a config profile for another language. now you switch to it, and want to turn character echo on to, say, type a series of numbers that need to be accurate.
As soon as you do that, character echo's state is permanent in that profile. It can never be synchronized with the default value, and you'll always have to adjust it.

On 1/8/2021 7:44 AM, Andre Fisher wrote:
Hi.
I don't really see the appeal of this add-on anymore, seeing that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to configuration profiles, which can include changes to synthesizers and voice settings natively. However, it was a good add-on while it was not possible.

Andre Fisher

Hi.

I don't really see the appeal of this add-on anymore, seeing that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to configuration profiles, which can include changes to synthesizers and voice settings natively. However, it was a good add-on while it was not possible.

Tyler Spivey

Some keyboards aren't able to press certain combinations of keys. That might be why the first slot won't work.
One current limitation of the addon is that you can only bind the keys to modifiers and numbers.
The advantage to this approach is you can get up to 10 slots for free, but the disadvantage is that you're stuck with modifiers and numbers.

It would be relatively simple to modify the addon to expose each slot as its own script, and avoid this limitation entirely.

On 12/31/2020 2:45 AM, Morne van der Merwe wrote:
Good day list,
I use a laptop with the latest version of Windows, as well as NVDA.
I have two questions regarding the SwitchSynth addon.
According to the addon, there are six slots to load languages on. The first slot, however, doesn’t work. I can only load language from slot 2 onwards.
When I select my language, the settings ring does not work. I have to reload NVDA in order for the settings ring to function.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Regards
Morné

Sharad Koirala

thank u.

On 1/5/21, Jacob Kruger <jacob@blindza.co.za> wrote:
If I select a slot by pressing NVDA + ctrl + shift + 3 (for example), it
should select slot 3, and I then make changes to synth and voice
selection, and then hit NVDA + ctrl + shift + V, to save the combination
of choices in the selected slot.

In NVDA input gesture settings dialogue, under switch synth in the
treeview, there are two child items:

- Save the currently used synthesizer and its settings to the currently
selected slot

- Sets the currently active synthesizer to the selected slot.

And, under those items you can find or change those key combo's.

HTH

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2021-01-04 05:35 PM, Sharad Koirala wrote:
hi,
my question could sound very basic..
but how do we assign different synthesizers to different slots in this
addon? I am not being able to do it..

thank you,

On 1/4/21, Jacob Kruger <jacob@blindza.co.za> wrote:
Morne, one question - if you turn on input help, and, hit the keystroke
assigned to selecting the first slot, what does it tell you?

As in, make sure there's no other bit of functionality assigned to
selecting the first slot?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
Good day list,

--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer

Jacob Kruger

On 2020-12-31 12:45 PM, Morne van der Merwe wrote:
Good day list,

I use a laptop with the latest version of Windows, as well as NVDA.

I have two questions regarding the SwitchSynth addon.

According to the addon, there are six slots to load languages on. The
first slot, however, doesn’t work. I can only load language from slot
2 onwards.

When I select my language, the settings ring does not work. I have to
reload NVDA in order for the settings ring to function.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards

Morné

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Hi, if I remember correct, you hit the slot you want then you press NVDA+shift+control+v.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10