Topics

Foobar 2000 (was RE: [nvda] What do we like for a media player besides Winamp?)

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

So the thread here reminded me I wanted to try this out. I’m really interested in getting this one going. Not sure if it’ll replace winamp exactly as I’m quite happy with it, but it’ll be nice to have another audio player that actually works and does everything I want it to. That stuff from Microsoft just will never cut it, and I never did get really used to or happy with using VLC for audio playback (still the only video player for me).

Looking at their site, I notice there are *loads* of extensions  and plug-ins available. So I ask you foobar users – what are those essential add-ons that you use or can recommend?

Also if I remember right from playing with it in my XP days, you assign the keyboard commands by editing ini files. I assume all of you have customised the programme quite extensively. Tell me about this, just so I have a starting point here. What is your setup?

John Isige

Me too, or if anybody wants to gives tips on VLC for audio playback, I
can try that too. Gom Audio is gone, I loaded albums into it, it started
playing, and then pretty much locked up my machine, or at least the
keyboard. Nothing would work, not its context menu, Windows key-x, I
couldn't switch windows, you name it. So I hit the power button to shut
down, rebooted, and uninstalled it. I'm fine setting things up and
customizing, but my patience is like zero right now. If it can't even do
the basic thing it's supposed to, it's gone.

On 1/5/2018 16:34, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I was skeptical about Gom from the start. Glad it works for some people but eh....

Like winamp used to, it looks like Foobar has pretty extensive support, including a forum you can register too. They apparently just overhauled their user interface. That could be eitehr good or bad for us screen-reader users. So far it's only in the beta releases of the next version though.

[...]

mk360

Hi,

I use foobar2000, it's last stable version is accessible, you can set key commands on the preferences menu (by default many are disabled) it has many plugins to give more functions, for example I use plugins for monkeys audio, an other to cast to chromecast, etc.

I also use VLC, but for music I prefer Foobar2000 wich I feel more accessible.

Regards,

mk

El 05/01/2018 a las 19:34, JM Casey escribió:

[...]

Arlene

Oh right on. I’ve only used Windows Media player, real player and winamp in the xp days. But I use only winamp on this 7 box.

[...]

I'm making some progress with VLC. Unfortunately the biggest problem is the lack of audio feedback in the programme. I have tried with both nVDA and JAWS, and feedback with JAWS seems slightly better, as it is able to recognise some of the buttons and edit fields, even if their function and application is nebulous. I have the VLC NVDA add-on, and its function is minimal at best. It does nothing to improve usability of the preferences dialoguqe or the playlist editor, and those are the two most complicated areas that would clearly benefit from more feedback.

I have discovered the following about playlists:
You can open the playlist editor from either the view menu, or using ctrl-l.
You can add as many folders to a playlist as you like. When you tab to a certain field, which the screen-reader will not speak, you can arrow up and down through tracks, which *should* be announced as you use up and down arrow.
There is a button to randomise playback (see documentation), but I have not been able to find or use this button.
The applications key activates a context menu which allows you to move files around in the playlist, delete them, stream them, or get information about them (presumably tag and other media info). But the random toggle is not to be found in this menu.

I have also tinkered around a bit with the preferences dialogue. Once you set the radio button to "all", you will see a much bigger options screen, with hundreds of settings. Again, unfortunately, some of the checkboxes and such are only read when you check or uncheck them. There is little indication of what you are supposed to do with a control once you tab to it. I have found that the spacebar, for whatever reason, is more effective than using the enter key.

It's too bad this player doesn't work better for us. It's a real lean and powerful piece of software. There are additional interfaces you can get which go over top of and replace the default GUI. It's possible that something along these lines may work better for accessibility, but I know nothing about them and have not tried them.

[...]

Well, that's odd. After alt-tabbing back to VLC, suddenly NVDA is able to identify elements, including the random button. I really have no idea why I could not observe this behaviour before. I sometimes have similar weirdness with JAWS where controls will not read correctly one moment, but revisiting the window later suddenly makes them visible. Damned if I know.

So John, it looks like you can actually do most of what you want with this programme, provided there's enough feedback.

[...]

Thanks! I appreciate the investigation. I need to mess with Foobar more
though I kind of like it, but I'm keeping my options open. Plus I
usually install VLC for videos, so it would probably be handy to know my
way around it, even if I don't use it as my main player.

On 1/8/2018 21:46, JM Casey wrote:
[...]

Cheers.
It seems like the preferences dialogue is the most difficult part of the programme. This is probably true for sighted users as well, honestly. The whole layout is just weird. You will not even see a lot of the important settings unless you click a radio button that says "all", and then the entire screen expands to include hundreds of options split into categories that you access via a list box.