NVDA OCR

Sue J. Ward

Hello. I was wondering is the documentation for the OCR section in NVDA will be updated in the next version of NVDA cause I did download a couple of attachments they are JPG files and I did save them in the documents folder since am on a windows 10 machine with everything up to date. When I go to the file in the list of files when I land on that file was wondering should I open up the file then do the command nvda plus R, cause I do a nvda plus r command it says recognizing results and a second later it says done. Where do they go after the stuff has been recognized? When I do tab around I don't see another window open up displaying the results. Where do I go from here? Any help would be great. I hope in the next version of Nvda it will explain it in more detail. When I did it with Jaws it did a much better job, it sure would be nice if NVDA could do something similar.

Maryland Governor Tried to Send Help for a Futile 90 Minutes
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5ff86e499f71e6e483ed8st02duc1
Josh Hawley Fumes After Losing His Book Deal
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5ff86e49c3c576e483ed8st02duc2
Social Media Posts Help Identify Capitol Rioters
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5ff86e49e89b86e483ed8st02duc3

Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...>

Hi there,

OCR will attempt to recognize whatever has NVDA focus. So to work with one of your image files, first open the file and then activate OCR to attempt to get the text from it. Once OCR finishes you will automatically be in the text viewer where you can use the arrow keys and other standard keys to review the text, just like in notepad or any other text area.
You can hold down shift while using the cursor keys to select text, just like in a text editor, and you can copy this to the clipboard so you can paste it elsewhere.
You can also hit the enter key on any word in the recognized text and this will simulate a mouse click on the underlying image. This is very useful for applications that are not otherwise accessible to screen readers.

Hope this helps get you started,
Luke

On Jan 8, 2021, at 6:39 AM, Sue J. Ward <groovy41@juno.com> wrote:

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Sue,

I did start writing an update to the OCR section, I'll have to find that.  Meanwhile, if you have a JPG file in your documents folder, you will need to open that.  If you press ENTER on it, I think Windows will open it in the Photos app maybe?  Either way, once it's open you can then use NVDA+r to run OCR.  You then use your regular reading or navigation keys (EG NVDA+down arrow to say all, or the arrows to move around) to read the results.  Once done, press escape to close the temporary buffer and return to where you were.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen