beta 3 and closing programs (Using Powershell)

Richard Bartholomew

The following will list all processes running on Windows 10:

Get-process

If you want to pipe the output to a text file, enter:

Get-process >c:\documents\PSOutput.txt

Substituting your own path and filename, of course.

If you want to see all processes starting with, say, out (as in Outlook), enter:

Get-process -name “out*”

If you want to kill the Outlook process, enter:

stop-process -name outlook

You can put Powershell commands into a batch or command file by prefixing the above with the word powershell.

To enter Powershell, select it from the context menu brought up with Windows Key+X or type powershell from a command prompt.

HTH

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 09 January 2021 16:03
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] beta 3 and closing programs

I won't say that NVDA is not at play here, because it could be, but ALT+F4 is not an NVDA command, and not tied to NVDA in any way.  It's a Windows command that the program window with focus when it's issued responds to.  If Thunderbird continues to be "hanging about" with something running in the background, probabilities are that it's not NVDA causing this.

I have asked on a tech geek group specifically for professional techs I haunt whether there is a handy PowerShell and/or Command Prompt command or pipe sequence that would allow someone to zero in on whether a process or cluster of processes of a given name are running.  It is my understanding that both Task Manager and Process Monitor are, while not strictly speaking inaccessible, not exactly anywhere near to easy to use with a screen reader.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Just FYI, just like you can create command prompt scripts in batch files, that are simply text files that have the extension .bat, you can do the same for PowerShell commands.  The extension for a PowerShell batch file is .ps1

If you activate either a .bat or .ps1 file, it will run.  So if you use these extensions, and want to edit the file later, you must gain focus on it, bring up the context menu, and choose Edit from it.

I've seen people (including myself) get burned by double-clicking/activating .bat or .ps1 files because doing either of those things for most other file extensions will open the editor for same.  Not so for these two.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel