Tony's add-ons: new and updated

Tony Malykh

Hello all,

This is Tony, author of many NVDA add-ons. During holidays I updated many of my add-ons, and wrote two new add-ons, so I would like to share them with you guys. This is a long email, so please feel free to navigate by headings!

Please note that links on the official website have not been updated, as it seems that nobody has access to that website anymore. Therefore, please download directly from Github, download links included below.

New add-ons:

WordNav

It takes word navigation to the next level in NVDA. It standardizes what exactly does word mean, e.g. does it include punctuation before and after, moreover, it offers various definitions of word, some of which might be useful for software developers, for example when they are working with camelCaseIdentifiers. It redefines Control+Left/Right keystrokes, as well as it adds optional Control+Windows+Left/Right keystrokes. Configuration panel included!

·       Github: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-word-nav/

·       Download: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-word-nav/releases/download/v1.2/wordNav-1.2.nvda-addon

Console toolkit

This is a collection of tools for heavy console users. Among its features are:

·       More realtime speaking of console output

·       * Beep on update

·       Control+V shortcut now works in ssh connections

·       Editing of current prompt in accessible window

·       Capturing command output, including multi-page, and displaying it in an accessible window

Please note, it supports the default Windows console, a.k.a. command prompt, as well as windows PowerShell.

·       Github: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-console-toolkit/

·       Download: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-console-toolkit/releases/download/v0.2dev/consoleToolkit-0.2dev.nvda-addon

Updates

SentenceNav

This add-on allows to read text sentence by sentence using Alt+Up/Down keystroke. I managed to improve its performance a lot, now it reads sentences much faster, especially in large paragraphs. I also added experimental support for Microsoft Word and WordPad – before this version built-in NVDA logic applied to sentence navigation in these programs, and many users have complained about that. Also, a number of bugfixes. Also I wrote extensive documentation, since sentence finding code has become so complicated, even I myself is having a hard time reading my own code after a couple of years since first release 😊

·       Github: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-sentence-nav/

·       Download: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-sentence-nav/releases/download/v2.9/SentenceNav-2.9.nvda-addon

BrowserNav

BrowserNav contains a set of improvements to browse mode in NVDA. Besides a number of bugfixes, this new version includes command to jump to next text written in different style (bound to tilde, that weird key right above Tab), and a command to scroll down to reveal all the hidden content, bound to backslash. That last command might be useful for websites, that load content dynamically. This includes Youtube, that doesn’t load the entire page and expects users to scroll down to reveal certain elements, and also so called infinite scroll webpages, such as Amazon and Facebook.

·       Github: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-browser-nav/

·       Download: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-browser-nav/releases/download/v1.12/browsernav-1.12.nvda-addon

Tony’s enhancements

This add-on is an incubator for my experimental ideas, yet I believe many of them might be quite handy for many users. In particular, this time WordNav and Console toolkit mentioned above have graduated from this incubator. 😊 Among new features that I added are QuickSearch command, that allows to quickly find predefined text or regular expression in text files. I personally find it useful for editing markdown, because you can set the regular expression to search for next/previous heading, and also for programming. Another new feature allows to set system priority for NVDA process – this might improve responsiveness of NVDA, especially when CPU load is high.

·       Github: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-tonys-enhancements/

·       Download: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-tonys-enhancements/releases/download/v1.8/tonysEnhancements-1.8.nvda-addon

Other

NVDA Symbols

This is not an add-on, but rather a comprehensive (more or less) table of unicode characters with their proper English names. In particular, it includes math symbols (the ones that are not defined in NVDA), Greek letters, technical symbols, various arrows, etc. If you’re Greek, you would probably want to exclude Greek letters from this dictionary. If you speak CJK languages, you would probably want to exclude fixed-width punctuation page from that dictionary. This table would need to be added manually to your symbols.dic file in NVDA user config directory.

·       Github: https://github.com/mltony/nvda-symbols/

·       Download: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mltony/nvda-symbols/main/final.dic

Let me know what you think!

Belated happy new year!

--Tony

Chris Smart

Hi Tony.

Thanks for these!

from a relatively new NVDA user.

Chris

William

Hi,

After installing browser nav, all the single key navigation keys of browser nav addon did not work.

I am currently using 2020.2, and this issue is also present in 2020.4 beta 3.

Tony Malykh 於 10/1/2021 6:13 寫道:

[...]

Rowen Cary

Hi, Tony👍

The word navigation add-on you wrote is very useful, and I cannot do without it.😊
Thank you for your contribution.

Gene

I have never gotten browser nav to work on my computer. I'm running Windows 7.

[...]

Suhas Dharwad

sentence nav, word nav, and symbols, does sound quite interesting.

Will give it a try.
thanks.

---Suhas
Sent from Thunderbird

“Things can turn out differently, Apollo.
That's the nice thing about being human.
We only have one life, but we can choose what kind of story it's going to be.”
Rick Riordan
On 1/10/2021 3:43, Tony Malykh wrote:

[...]

Aschalew Byness

toni
I really don't know what to say. May God bless you extremely well. I
have been wishing for long to see 'sentence nav add-on supporting MS
word and wordpad. I just tested the water. It works fine. As NVDa do
not recognize sentence-ending punctuation in my language, Amharic, I
found sentence nav to be one-of a kind. I am again at a loss for words
to express what I felt about it.

Sent from Thunderbird <https://www.thunderbird.net/>

Rick Riordan <https://rickriordan.com/>
[...]

Bruno Aníbal Prieto González

Hi Tony! Thank you very much for all these add-ons, especially
WordNav. I used that Tony enhancements add-on a lot in VS Code but it
had to be enabled and disabled, since in UIA NVDA it said selected and
unselected all the time.
Since you corrected that, I imagine you already know how to do it, you
could correct that same error for IndentNav? In Visual Studio has that
behavior, NVDA says selected and unselected every time I use it. It
also happens to me in Windows 10 Sticky Notes, which also uses UI
Automation.

Thank you very much in advance!

[...]

Thank you for kind words! It is feedback like this that motivates me to write and publish add-ons!

On 1/11/2021 5:18 PM, Aschalew Byness wrote:
[...]

Got it, will look into that issue with IndentNav.

On 1/11/2021 7:23 PM, Bruno Aníbal Prieto González wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

[...]

Fixed in IndentNav v1.11.

--Tony

On 1/12/2021 10:23 AM, Bruno Aníbal Prieto González wrote:
Thanks!

[...]

Good! Thank you very much!

[...]

Akshaya Choudhary

Thank you, Tony. These are really helpful add-ons.
A very happpy new year to you too!

--
Regards,
Sociohack

abdul muhamin

Hi, great work man, love it, one thing more. Create an addon to read files on the fly, there was an addon called file reader, I’m searching for an alternative, it was very useful specially when playing fighting games,.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10