Looking for USB driver for Pac Mate Omni BX 400 on Windows 10

Dan Miner

Someone gave me a 40 cell braille display and it’s quite old but appears functional.  I just can’t get  it talking to my system.  It’s one of those PDA and display with a braille keyboard.  I found a thread in this very mailing list that seems to addressed a very similar model with same problem.  Sadly, the link to the USB driver in Ollie’s DropBox is dead.

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/4507670#15948

Anyone have that USB driver or know how to reach someone with it?  It’s impossible to find so far…

                Dan

Rui Fontes

Hello!

To use the PacMate Braille display with NVDA you must plug the Braille display directly to the PC and not through the PacMate device...

Try using this driver:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awpykzm6s1ifegp/FocusBlueDriver1.0.2030.exe?dl=1

Rui Fontes

Às 05:23 de 10/01/2021, Dan Miner via groups.io escreveu:

Someone gave me a 40 cell braille display and it’s quite old but appears functional.  I just can’t get  it talking to my system.  It’s one of those PDA and display with a braille keyboard.  I found a thread in this very mailing list that seems to addressed a very similar model with same problem.  Sadly, the link to the USB driver in Ollie’s DropBox is dead.

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/4507670#15948

Anyone have that USB driver or know how to reach someone with it?  It’s impossible to find so far…

                Dan

Dan Miner

You’re the 2nd person to suggest I needed to plug directly into the display.  The manual I found seems to be less forth coming about doing that but another long search of the physical device yielded a deeply hidden USB mini-B port along the insertion guides of the display itself.  So, I have it connected directly and got

“pm display  40  - k70” showing in braille on the display.

Progress!  I am still learning braille so I’m a bit proud I could decipher that.

I extracted  the driver software, ran setup.exe in the newly created folder, and installed the Windows Focus driver option.  The device is showing in device manager now as:

LibUSB-1.0: FreedomScientific [PAC Mate]

Device type:  libusb (WinUSB) devices

Manufacturer:  libusb 1.0

Device status  multi line  This device is working properly.

I restarted NVDA but automatic selection doesn’t appear to be working.  I found a new braille display in the list for Focus and Pac Mate.  Sadly, I get:

“Braille Display Error  dialog  Could not load the freedomScientific display.”

A system reboot later to be sure all was settled, I still get that error.

I found this in the NVDA log:

Error initializing display driver freedomScientific for kwargs {'port': 'auto'}

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "braille.pyc", line 1730, in setDisplayByName

  File "brailleDisplayDrivers\freedomScientific.pyc", line 241, in __init__

RuntimeError: No Freedom Scientific display found

INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (15:28:37.987) - MainThread (8036):

Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.

Any ideas?

                Dan

[...]

Mallard

Hello, I think I have the right driver.

I have a Pac Mate pm 40, and the driver is the same as that of Focus.

Let me fetch it for you, and I'll send a dropbox link here.

so anyone else who might need it can benefit.

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2k40gh92sum75i/FocusBlueDriver1.0.2030.exe?dl=1

Ciao,
Ollie