Topics

Key Pass Through

Gene

I was wrong about the keys not working with the pass through command. I had thought they didn't work because nothing is spoken. When you use the main keyboard home and end keys without using the pass through command or the numpad home and end using the nav mode and again not using the pass through command, add-on, something is spoken, the character you move to or the list item you move to.

Also, I just found something interesting about the pass next key through command. it doesn't work properly when you are in a list of files or the desktop list. The rename dialog opens. In short, it is a much better idea from the standpoint of convenience and speech feedback to use the Nav Mode Add-on for the purpose you want or to use the main keyboard home and end keys. I don't know anything about your keyboard but its hard to believe that there isn't some sort of command to make certain keys perform as home and end keys. Those are important and expected commands on keyboards.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Key Pass Through

I just tried it. the pass through command doesn't cause the numpad home and
end keys to change your position. I don't know if the numpad does anything
if you use the pass through command before pressing a numpad key. Use home
and end on the main keyboard, or, if you want to use the numpad hhome and
end, there is an add-on that allows you to make the numpad perform as you
expect by not having NVDA reserve it for its own commands. the add-on can
be read about and downloaded here:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/numpadNavMode.en.html

Gene
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:17 AM

Sorry, that doesn't seem to work.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brice
Mijares
Sent: 10 January 2021 15:13

I believe it is NVDA f-2.

On 1/10/2021 7:10 AM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io
wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone remind me on how to pass through a key please e.g. I need
to press the home and end keys when in my mailbox to go to the top and
bottom of the message list and home and end are NVDA keys.

Many thanks in anticipation,

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the
message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all
NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging
patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other
accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch,
https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links
or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is
safe.

********************************************************************************************************************

intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or
take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS
staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient
data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email
services.

Gene

I just tried it. the pass through command doesn't cause the numpad home and end keys to change your position. I don't know if the numpad does anything if you use the pass through command before pressing a numpad key. Use home and end on the main keyboard, or, if you want to use the numpad hhome and end, there is an add-on that allows you to make the numpad perform as you expect by not having NVDA reserve it for its own commands. the add-on can be read about and downloaded here:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/numpadNavMode.en.html

Gene

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:17 AM

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brice Mijares

wrote:

Hi,

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

Thanks very much, this keyboard only has a number pad and no extra six keys but NVDA+F2 is now working, thanks all!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 10 January 2021 15:32

Home and end are only NVDA keys on the numpad. They aren't if you use the keys on the main keyboard. If you don't want to use the keys on the main keyboard, the pass through command is NVDA key f2.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:10 AM
Subject: [nvda] Key Pass Through

Hi,

Can anyone remind me on how to pass through a key please e.g. I need to press the home and end keys when in my mailbox to go to the top and bottom of the message list and home and end are NVDA keys.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the

brice Mijares

If you hit NVDA 1 on the number row, it puts you in key describer mode. Now hit NVDA f-2 and it will say it will pass you through to windows key or something of the likes. Remember to hit NVDA 1 to get out of key describer mode.

On 1/10/2021 7:17 AM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io wrote:

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brice Mijares

wrote:
Hi,

Gene

Home and end are only NVDA keys on the numpad. They aren't if you use the keys on the main keyboard. If you don't want to use the keys on the main keyboard, the pass through command is NVDA key f2.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:10 AM
Subject: [nvda] Key Pass Through

Hi,

Can anyone remind me on how to pass through a key please e.g. I need to press the home and end keys when in my mailbox to go to the top and bottom of the message list and home and end are NVDA keys.

wrote:

Hi,

brice Mijares

On 1/10/2021 7:10 AM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io wrote:

Hi,

Hi,