Topics

Automatic language switching

Mohammed Alderweesh

Thank you for answering my question. I will try the mentioned addons with the Acapela synthesizer.

Best.
Mohammed

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 6:30 PM tilahun muniye <educationbird@...> wrote:
Hi.
May be the following addon and synthesis help you.

 Dual Voice for NVDA, is an open source speech driver for NVDA screen
reader. This let use two separate voices for reading non-Latin and
Latin languages. This add-on is compatible with SAPI5 (Speech API
version 5) and MSSP (Speech Platform). This NVDA add-on need one
non-Latin and one Latin voices with common interface. Both non-Latin
and Latin voices must have Speech API...

eSpeak: speech synthesis
Text to Speech engine for English and many other languages. Compact
size with clear but artificial pronunciation. Available as a
command-line program with many options, a shared library for Linux,
and a Windows SAPI5 version.
You get them from:https://sourceforge.net/projects/espeak/and
 use eloquence sapi5 for English.

On 1/12/21, Kareen <kareen.kiwan@...> wrote:
> Hi.
> Acapela supports auto switch between English and Arabic. Just visit the
> Acapela sub menu in nvda for auto switch settings.
> Also u can try dual voice addon that does auto switch between latin and none
> latin based languages for Sapi5 TTS engines

tilahun muniye

On 1/12/21, Kareen <kareen.kiwan@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi.
Acapela supports auto switch between English and Arabic. Just visit the
Acapela sub menu in nvda for auto switch settings.
Also u can try dual voice addon that does auto switch between latin and none
latin based languages for Sapi5 TTS engines

Kareen

Hi.
Acapela supports auto switch between English and Arabic. Just visit the Acapela sub menu in nvda for auto switch settings.
Also u can try dual voice addon that does auto switch between latin and none latin based languages for Sapi5 TTS engines

Tony Malykh

Things are a little confusing with automatic language switching. When your synth says it supports automatic language switching, that only means that it can switch if NVDA tells it to do so. However, NVDA almost never tells synths to do so, except perhaps for a few webpages, that have proper language attributes markup.

Try my add-on Tony's enhancements:

https://github.com/mltony/nvda-tonys-enhancements

One of the features, is that it sends such a signal to synths based on character set. So you would be able to auto switch between say English and Arabic, or German and Arabic; but not between English and German. You would need to figure out a regular expression to capture all Arabic symbols though.

HTH

--Tony

On 1/12/2021 1:52 AM, Mohammed Alderweesh wrote:
Hello list,

I was wondering which speech synthesizer supports automatic language switching. I tried both the code factory and the Acapela addons, but I could not get them to work. is there any additional addon that needs to be installed?

Note: I checked the automatic language switching in the NVDA settings.

I am using NVDA 2020.3 and Windows 10, and I would like the automatic language switching to work for the following languages:
English
Arabic
German

Thank you for any input.