Using tracking changes in Word and NVDA

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

I am doing a course assignment which involves editing documents produced by speech recognition software. I am to use tracking changes in Word to show changes I have made. Would someone out there be able to talk me through how to use tracking changes in Word with the latest stable version of NVDA and Windows ten?

Thanks,

Janet

Quentin Christensen

Hi Janet,

Press control+shift+r to turn track changes on or off.  While on, any change you make to the document is recorded and can be approved or rejected later.

With NVDA in browse mode (NVDA+spacebar) you can jump between tracked changes as annotations (a or shift+a).  You can then use the context menu to accept or reject individual changes.

For more detail on using track changes, You might be interested in the Microsoft Word with NVDA training module, which has several topics with step by step instructions on turning the feature on and off, navigating between changes and accepting and rejecting changes: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/microsoft-word-training-for-nvda-ebook/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Janet Brandly

Hello Quinten,

Thank you for answering my question. The information you provided should be enough to get me started. If I end up using this feature more often than just for this assignment, ,I will definitely consider purchasing the training module you linked to below.

Best,

[...]

You're welcome!

The material covers basically every feature in Word, not just Track Changes, but see how you go, hopefully that's enough to get you going.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:50 PM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello again Quinten,

It seems that the hot key for turning on/off tracking changes in Word is not control-shift-R but rather control-shift-e. I had to get sighted help to find this out. It looks like I am going to have to get significant sighted help to complete this project as NVDA is not always reliable about reading whether or not things have been deleted or changed.

Janet

[...]

I'm so sorry, yes of course it is control+shift+e.  I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote the first reply!

Track changes only monitors changes made while the feature is active.  If track changes was on when a change was made, NVDA will read it as you navigate.  If there are changes not being reported, it is likely that track changes was not enabled when that change was made

So, if I have a document with "Hello Fred" in it, if I turn on track changes, delete "Hello" and type "Goodbye".  As I read that line, NVDA will read "Deleted Hello, Inserted Goodbye, Not inserted Fred".

If I turn off track changes, then delete Fred and type Jane, NVDA will read: "Deleted Hello, Inserted Goodbye, Not inserted Jane".

Also if you "accept" or "reject" any changes, the text will either be changed or reverted, and either way will no longer appear as a change.

If you can give me an example where you have Track changes on, Word is recording the change and NVDA is not reporting it, I'd be interested to investigate.

Kind regards

Quentin.