Using N V D A with Station Play List Studio!

Thomas E Williamson, Senior

Hello,

How can I find the instructions for assigning the keys for n v d a to work with station playlist.

Please note: I have the ad-on for spl as well.

For example, in jaws, if I press the letter m, this will allow me the chance to talk on air, while my music is playing softly in the background.

It appears in N v d a, that this does not work, for some reason.

Hope that this makes since.

I appreciate any help.

I am new to using n v d a with spl.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cuong Dang Manh
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 9:22 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA say: edit read-only when nagivate line by line in Word

Hi all
I think the problem caused by Office 2016. My friend use Microsoft Office 2016. I created a portable NVDA from my current NVDA, and shared to her, but the problem still occur after installing that one. Right now I don't have any computer with office 2016 install, and try to make sure this is an issue so if any of you using the latest NVDA with office 2016, please share expirience. If this is an issue, I'm going to create a tiket on github.
Cuong

On 12/31/2020 10:38 AM, Cuong Dang Manh via groups.io wrote:

Hi Giles
Thanks for your instruction. I know this, but my friend said she can edit her file normaly. Just feel a little annoy while NVDA read this each time she navigate. I'll call her to understand the problem clearly.
Appreciated your help, and replies from other member.
Cuong

On 12/30/2020 10:42 PM, Giles Turnbull wrote:

Hi Cuong,

most of the time this happens with Word, it is because the document has been emailed to the NVDA user. Regardless of whether the NVDA user has opened it directly from the email or has saved it to their computer first and then opened it, Word will open it in protected mode, which is read-only and therefore it can't be edited and many of the ribbon options, like chnaging font or changing the view to draft view will not work.

To prevent that happening, press ALT+f to open the file menu, press the down arrow key three times to get to the Info menu, press Tab to enter that menu and then press the down arrow to get to the Protected View menu. Press Tab again and you'll be on the Enable Editing option and, if you press enter, that document will become unprotected and the NVDA user should no longer hear the warning that the document is protected and can't be edited. It will remain unprotected even after you close the document or shut down the computer. The same works with Excel files :)

I hope that helps.

Giles

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

open NVDA press p for preferences
up arrow to spl settings and enter

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 8:37 PM
Subject: [nvda] Using N V D A with Station Play List Studio!

Hello,

How can I find the instructions for assigning the keys for n v d a to work with station playlist.

For example, in jaws, if I press the letter m, this will allow me the chance to talk on air, while my music is playing softly in the background.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi all
I think the problem caused by Office 2016. My friend use Microsoft Office 2016. I created a portable NVDA from my current NVDA, and shared to her, but the problem still occur after installing that one. Right now I don't have any computer with office 2016 install, and try to make sure this is an issue so if any of you using the latest NVDA with office 2016, please share expirience. If this is an issue, I'm going to create a tiket on github.
Cuong

Hi Giles
Thanks for your instruction. I know this, but my friend said she can edit her file normaly. Just feel a little annoy while NVDA read this each time she navigate. I'll call her to understand the problem clearly.
Cuong

Hi Cuong,

most of the time this happens with Word, it is because the document has been emailed to the NVDA user. Regardless of whether the NVDA user has opened it directly from the email or has saved it to their computer first and then opened it, Word will open it in protected mode, which is read-only and therefore it can't be edited and many of the ribbon options, like chnaging font or changing the view to draft view will not work.

To prevent that happening, press ALT+f to open the file menu, press the down arrow key three times to get to the Info menu, press Tab to enter that menu and then press the down arrow to get to the Protected View menu. Press Tab again and you'll be on the Enable Editing option and, if you press enter, that document will become unprotected and the NVDA user should no longer hear the warning that the document is protected and can't be edited. It will remain unprotected even after you close the document or shut down the computer. The same works with Excel files :)

I hope that helps.

Giles

Hello,

The following items occur after correctly applying your instructions:

I see settings, speech dictionary, input jestures, and punctations., but there is no station playlist.

Any suggestions!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 2:39 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using N V D A with Station Play List Studio!

Hello,

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi all
Cuong

Hi Giles
Cuong

Hi Cuong,

I hope that helps.

Giles

Hi,

What version of Studio and the SPL add-on are you using? If after installing SPL add-on and restarting NVDA, if SPL Settings does not appear, chances are that either you are using Studio 5.20 or earlier or something went wrong when loading the add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph (current SPL add-on maintainer)

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas E Williamson, Senior
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 2:56 AM

Hello,

I see settings, speech dictionary, input jestures, and punctations., but there is no station playlist.

Any suggestions!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Hello,

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi all
Cuong

Hi Giles
Cuong

Hi Cuong,

I hope that helps.

Giles

Hello,

I am using SPL, 5.40 or later,

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 9:45 AM

Hi,

What version of Studio and the SPL add-on are you using? If after installing SPL add-on and restarting NVDA, if SPL Settings does not appear, chances are that either you are using Studio 5.20 or earlier or something went wrong when loading the add-on.

Cheers,

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas E Williamson, Senior

Hello,

Any suggestions!

Hello,

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi all
Cuong

Hi Giles
Cuong

Hi Cuong,

I hope that helps.

Giles

Hi,

Did you actually install the SPL add-on? You need to install it before SPL Settings will show up.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 1:57 PM

Hello,

Hi,

Cheers,

Hello,

Any suggestions!

Hello,

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi all
Cuong

Hi Giles
Cuong

Hi Cuong,

I hope that helps.

Giles

Yes, I went to N v d a add-on page, and clicked on, station playlis from there.

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 4:28 PM

Hi,

Did you actually install the SPL add-on? You need to install it before SPL Settings will show up.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello,

Hi,

Cheers,

Hello,

Any suggestions!

Hello,

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi all
Cuong

Hi Giles
Cuong

Hi Cuong,

I hope that helps.

Giles

Hi,

Okay, and apparently SPL settings isn’t showing up on NVDA preferences menu? Another way to check if SPL add-on is indeed running is:

1. Open Studio.
  2. Press Alt+NVDA+Number row 0 (zero) while focused on Studio. If the add-on is running, settings dialog should appear.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 3:09 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello,

Hi,

Cheers,

Hello,

Any suggestions!

Hello,

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi all
Cuong

Hi Giles
Cuong

Hi Cuong,

I hope that helps.

Giles

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Joseph, at the time of his post the Station playlist addon was not installed. I installed it last night and an interesting thing occurred. SPL showed up in manage addons as enabled but it still did not show in preferences. He is running Windows 7, would that have anything to do with it?

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 4:13 PM

Hi,

Okay, and apparently SPL settings isn’t showing up on NVDA preferences menu? Another way to check if SPL add-on is indeed running is:

1. Open Studio.
  2. Press Alt+NVDA+Number row 0 (zero) while focused on Studio. If the add-on is running, settings dialog should appear.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello,

Hi,

Cheers,

Hello,

Any suggestions!

Hello,

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi all
Cuong

Hi Giles
Cuong

Hi Cuong,

I hope that helps.

Giles

Hi,

SPL settings will not show under preferences unless you run Studio. This is intentional, as the settings dialog for the SPL add-on is specific to Studio.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 2:10 AM

Joseph, at the time of his post the Station playlist addon was not installed. I installed it last night and an interesting thing occurred. SPL showed up in manage addons as enabled but it still did not show in preferences. He is running Windows 7, would that have anything to do with it?

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 4:13 PM

Hi,

1. Open Studio.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello,

Hi,

Cheers,

Hello,

Any suggestions!

Hello,

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi all
Cuong

Hi Giles
Cuong

Hi Cuong,

I hope that helps.

Giles