From: Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 2:59 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] split buttons

Hi all,
Last night's question about Teams got me thinking, there seems to be
an issue system-wide with split buttons. Based on the fact that the
same issue happens with both NVDA and Narrator, I'd think the issue is
Windows, not NVDA. When I press alt to go to the home tab in Excel,
then tab down until I hear insert cells, then press either space or
enter, a new row is automatically inserted rather than having the menu
brought up. However, if I press alt, H, I, the menu opens. I'm not
sure if Teams has anything in the way of those shortcuts, but this
does seem like something that needs to be addressed.
Bob

Sascha Cowley

Use Alt+↓ or F4 to expand split buttons, at least in Office applications.

Gene

I don't use the program. It sounds to me as though ribbons are being used. Since I don't use the program, this may or may not help but unless people don't know all three ways to use split buttons, a problem may be thought to exist that doesn't. My impression is that a lot of people don't know all three ways, actually four.

You can press the space bar on a split button to cause it to take the default action.
You can try right or downarrowing to see if more options open.
If they don't, use the command alt down arrow to open more options, just as you do in a combo box.

Are the problems with split buttons solvged if all these actions art tried?